My nice little 'Wizard'

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtSharpe

Reaction score
This little wizard came out very nicely I think. I opted for a white nose cone. Bits of other rockets are in background. No the aamram doesn't have wings, those are on a 'menace' behind it. I built this because I wanted something that would go high on A8-3's It weighs .5 oz according to specs

wiz.jpg

Those ones are very light. You might want to try A8-5's. My sizzler (.8oz) deploys perfect at apogee at about 500-600 feet on an A8-5.

Ive flew mine up to a B6-4 and she GOT UP THERE! With it's size, its real hard to see! On a C6-7 she just span like crazy :rolleyes:
Karl

Originally posted by cjl
Those ones are very light. You might want to try A8-5's. My sizzler (.8oz) deploys perfect at apogee at about 500-600 feet on an A8-5.
A8-5's are back in production! :) According to Estes' web page, "A8-5's are perfect for Alphas, Vikings, Wizards and Yankees".

Alternatively, make a 13mm/18mm adaptor. (The cheapest, easiest way is to take one of those A8-5's you've used and knock out the clay nozzle.) Now see what the Wizard will do with an A3-4T.

That's the only rocket I have that flies well to over 100 feet on a 1/2 A6-2. Sometime, i will have to make a 13mm adapter. It would go highest on an A10, but an A3 would actually give you visible liftoffs. They scream on C6's. I used to have a star dart until I put a C6-7 in it.

Originally posted by cjl
That's the only rocket I have that flies well to over 100 feet on a 1/2 A6-2. Sometime, i will have to make a 13mm adapter. It would go highest on an A10, but an A3 would actually give you visible liftoffs. They scream on C6's. I used to have a star dart until I put a C6-7 in it.

It wouldn't necessarily go higher on an A10. The A3 has a lower average thrust but burns longer.

I have some really light paper models that go higher on an A3 because they slow down fast after burnout.

I also have other models that go higher on A10's so I think it depends on the model.

Try them both and see what you think is best for your particular model.

A10's are better in windy conditions in my opinion.

That statement was based on a sim. It stated altitudes of 445 feet for an A8, 486 feet for an A10, and 454 feet for an A3. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.

the wizard was my first rocket. yes, its insane on basically any motor. lol. the A10 gets it up there. i've shot it on mini-engines and they go good. i'd say about 300'. gumball payload.

I absolutely love seeing threads like this. Every rocketeer at one time or another "pays homage" to the hobby buy building, flying, and absolutely appreciating a rocket like this.

At the moment my current favorite A-C minimum diameter rocket is the SEMROC Skyhook. Well, without going into the sentiments of why I love rockets like the Skyhook, Wizard, or Yankee check out this <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9582&highlight=A+burner">this thread</a>.

I used to have a BT20 based Estes Ninja that I flew many times on mini engines, but alas I gave it to a young 7-8 year old boy that was out spectating with his dad. He had run out to the field to recover it and by the time he had gotten it back to me I already knew that he was going to be sad about giving it back. :)

I love those rockets. One time, I flew my Star Dart (with a streamer) on a B4-4, and when people heard the engine, they thought it would be a low-alt flight. Then it went off, and it was GONE, instantly. You could barely track it (projection: 1300 feet at 211mph). It was incredible. The only time I flew one on a C, I lost it (a sizzler)

yeah i think im gonna hit michaels pretty hard tomorrow for the 50 percent coupon day... I got 4 coupons ive pulled out of newspapers,,, chuckle...

Originally posted by cjl
That statement was based on a sim. It stated altitudes of 445 feet for an A8, 486 feet for an A10, and 454 feet for an A3. Not a huge difference, but noticeable.
Odd. I'd expect the results to be the other way round. The A8-3 should outperform the A10-3T because it's only carrying the dead weight of one motor casing, not two. ;) It is not difficult to build (or buy) a lighter, better 18mm/13mm adaptor, but even then the slightly longer, lower thrust of the A8 ought to give it the edge in a light rocket like the Wizard. The A3-4T should be best because it has an even longer thrust and 1 second more delay.

then again, that one motor casing is twice the size. made of the same materials, twice the weight. at least.

A10 motors have a longer thrust than you think. There is a huge intial spike and then a long low thrust "tail".

See actual thrust curves at NAR and Estes websites.

https://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/A10T.pdf
https://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/A3T.pdf
https://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Estes/A8.pdf

https://www.estesrockets.com/
https://www.estesrockets.com/Rocket_Library1046.html
https://www.estesrockets.com/Estes_Time_Thrust_Cu1100.html
https://www.estesrockets.com/images/page 33.pdf

I suggest a Quest A6-4 for SERIOUS tracking smoke and delay time just over 4 seconds.
https://nar.org/SandT/pdf/Quest/A6.pdf

Originally posted by adrian
Odd. I'd expect the results to be the other way round. The A8-3 should outperform the A10-3T because it's only carrying the dead weight of one motor casing, not two. ;) It is not difficult to build (or buy) a lighter, better 18mm/13mm adaptor, but even then the slightly longer, lower thrust of the A8 ought to give it the edge in a light rocket like the Wizard. The A3-4T should be best because it has an even longer thrust and 1 second more delay.

Judging by that NAR document about the A10-3T, it has a spike, a little over 1N for about 0.6 second, and then a 2.35 second delay. Mind you, the A3-4T and A8-3 are short-changed on the delays as well, 3.12 seconds and 2.25 seconds respectively. Even with the bonus thrust in the A10-3T, the A3-4T still provides thrust for longer - 2N for about 0.8 second. So I still think the A3-4T should give the best performance from those choices. Especially if you use a decent adapter instead of an empty 18mm casing!

The A6-4's thrust burns out entirely after 0.4 second. Unlike the Estes motors, its delay is longer than advertised - it's really almost an A6-5.

OK, Wizard fans, time for some serious experimenting - burn lots of motors of each type and see which one does best. :D

LT:
Very nice looking job on the Wizard, one of my all time favorite Stock Altitude models.
I really like that blue, can you share the make and color name?

Several have mentions A8-5's as a better choice for max altitute. Many flights and a couple clones of the model have shown the longer delay makes a world of difference on the outcome. I have one wizard fitted for 13mm motors just for fun. both the A10-3T and A3-4T make for nice recoverable flights, the A10 is still going up when the ejection charge goes off. A3-4T's eject at apogee. B4-4 are great. B6-6 or C6-7's will usually loose the model for you;)

ive launched mine on C6's on a windy day with 2 succesfull recoveries. two recoveries which took about 25 minutes of searching. but 2 recoveries. lol. my star dart wasnt so lucky. i put it up on a D21 and peace out, that puppy roared skyward never to return.

Quest A6-4 = SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE.

In other words, you get LOTS of tracking smoke during the nice long delay time.

Judging by that NAR document about the A10-3T, it has a spike, a little over 1N for about 0.6 second, and then a 2.35 second delay. Mind you, the A3-4T and A8-3 are short-changed on the delays as well, 3.12 seconds and 2.25 seconds respectively. Even with the bonus thrust in the A10-3T, the A3-4T still provides thrust for longer - 2N for about 0.8 second. So I still think the A3-4T should give the best performance from those choices. Especially if you use a decent adapter instead of an empty 18mm casing!

The A6-4's thrust burns out entirely after 0.4 second. Unlike the Estes motors, its delay is longer than advertised - it's really almost an A6-5.

OK, Wizard fans, time for some serious experimenting - burn lots of motors of each type and see which one does best. :D

Thanks, paint is Cobalt Blue by Apple Barrel Colors you can get it at michaels or walmart.

Originally posted by Micromeister
LT:
Very nice looking job on the Wizard, one of my all time favorite Stock Altitude models.
I really like that blue, can you share the make and color name?

Several have mentions A8-5's as a better choice for max altitute. Many flights and a couple clones of the model have shown the longer delay makes a world of difference on the outcome. I have one wizard fitted for 13mm motors just for fun. both the A10-3T and A3-4T make for nice recoverable flights, the A10 is still going up when the ejection charge goes off. A3-4T's eject at apogee. B4-4 are great. B6-6 or C6-7's will usually loose the model for you;)

It wasn't carrying two casings - i built an adapter out of some spare BT-5 tubing I had lying around. Much lighter than the motor casing idea. Also, for some reason, when I flew mine on an A10, the delay came out at almost 4 1/2 seconds. Must have been a slight difference in production. Everyone else who flew one had more like 2 1/2 second delays.

Originally posted by LtSharpe
Thanks, paint is Cobalt Blue by Apple Barrel Colors you can get it at michaels or walmart.

Are you airbrushing these colors?

I know that some people use them in an airbrush but I have found that you can get a pretty decent finish with these paints even brushing them on.

Nope. Never used an airbrush. This particular color, and their yellow, go on very nicely no brush strokes evident in the finish either. Great stuff. Some of their paints dont have the same finish though,, the neon red has a real watery texture and doesn't stick to smooth things well at all.

I found that the Metalic colors don't stick very well unless you spray a primer coat on first. I use the white primer because the colors seem brighter over white rather than gray.

Back