My newest paint...can you guess what it is?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenECoyote

Well-roasted Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
*Update: Reveal on post #20*

I've started on my latest "I gotta be different!" theme rocket and have finished the basic pattern on the bottom part except for touch ups, clear coat and any added decals. A perpetual TRF applause to the first person who can identify what scheme I'm going for. :)

2015-09-09%2008.01.31.jpg

BTW - Base coat of gray Rusto Filler Primer, fill spirals w/Elmers' Carpenters Wood Filler, sand, then Rusto 2X and used 3M blue tape to mask. Everything you see is paint.

Last edited:
Clearly you are not waiting a week for the paint to cure like I am. Is it actually passing the sniff test before you mask and apply the next color?

I have no guess what that color scheme is, but it looks vaguely nautical to me.

Well, based on what I saw the first time, my guess would have been Wonder Woman's invisible plane. Now that I can see it...nah, I haven't a clue.

Reminds me a bit of the Revell logo, but I really can't guess.

Time for hints!

Reminds me a bit of the Revell logo, but I really can't guess.

Time for hints!

Nope! Sorry, I want to give others a chance to guess, but I will provide hints daily. If you're the sort that hates the torture of not knowing, just PM me and I'll ease your pain. :)

I can say that this is somewhat rare and not specific to the U.S. and this wasn't patterned after hair product packaging. :grin:

2015-09-09%2008.01.31.jpg

Everything you see is paint.

WOW!
It must have taken a lot of effort and masking to get the bush affect and I like the purple/yellow flower accents.....

oh wait - everything on the ROCKET is paint, not everything in the picture :wink::p:eyeroll:

sorry - couldn't resist

WOW!
It must have taken a lot of effort and masking to get the bush affect and I like the purple/yellow flower accents.....

oh wait - everything on the ROCKET is paint, not everything in the picture :wink::p:eyeroll:

sorry - couldn't resist

Boy, you rocket guys take things so literally! But you did get me on the gotcha...unless it's a painted backdrop! lol

I think we have a winner!!!

Very nice execution on the paint job KenE

Yup, AlfaBrewer gets the perpetual TRF applause! :)

Thanks K'Tesh! This is a Aerotech G-Force rocket I got a year ago and started building recently; however I just couldn't go with a standard paint job and I then recalled a cartoon series I really liked from the 70's called "Battle of the Planets" (I recalled it as "G-Force" since that's what the characters called themselves) - how fitting! It was the U.S. version of the popular Gatchaman japanese series. I'll add more interesting details in a bit (along with an amazing coincidence). Here is the front half I'm in the process of masking; however I've already had a bit of trouble. The plastic nose is so soft that while masking, I may have squeezed it a bit too much and some spots have paint lifting off with the tape (I did sand well and prime). I've already fixed one spot, but I'm seeing a few others, which I may fix after I finish the mask and other paints.

Here is the top half as it currently stands:
2015-09-09%2011.16.14.jpg

I'll also post some details on how I'm tackling the front part once I get the chance. Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:
I knew it was a G-Force from the fins, but I have never heard of a G-Force jet, so I never would have gotten that.

The jet was called the Phoenix. When they went into the hyper attack mode it became The Fiery Phoenix. Was my favorite show as a kid.

The jet was called the Phoenix. When they went into the hyper attack mode it became The Fiery Phoenix. Was my favorite show as a kid.

A fellow fan! Yes, the ship in the series we saw was the Phoenix; however it was Blue with red and it did become a fiery phoenix. In fact, I went through a few different ideas earlier on this and at one point was going to do the blue and red scheme....which brings us to some long-winded background I promised...

I originally considered putting on decals of the characters, since that seemed most characteristic of the series. I was thinking maybe a large one of Mark on the BT with a white background and the other characters maybe on the fins.

Here's the one i was thinking of putting on in the middle of the body tube - "flamboyant", I know, but definitely different! ;):
1256866-ken_the_eagle.jpg

And some of the other characters elsewhere on the bt or maybe on the fins.

Here's a pic of the team for reference;
e7b81e593d5b4733fe8b7d276b17abf01350065597_full.jpg

I also found a few cool pics of the individual characters which I thought would look good on the fins...here's one:
battle_of_the_planets_tiny_by_riddsorensen-d3fdbhd.jpg

Last edited:
I next considered the ship since it seemed logical on a rocket. However the ship in the cartoon series was a bit "low res" and wasn't too spectacular IMHO:
latest

(Plus I've had a spate of blue and red rockets and was getting a bit tired of that)

I also found pics of the phoenix transforming into the "Fiery Phoenix", which was cool, but if I were to go that route, I'd try "real flame" and a paint job like that was beyond my current abilities and patience (plus most wouldn't even associate it with G-Force series):
hqdefault.jpg

Here's where it starts to get more interesting...

I then searched more on the Phoenix and found pics of the "God Phoenix". It's related to the Japanese Gatchaman II series and I don't believe it was ever shown in the U.S. Battle of the Planets series. I thought the new ship looked AWESOME!!! :grin:

49ccb1ec42acf259975b66a127db5a7f.jpg

So while searching for pics of the GP, I suddenly came upon an image which was strangely familiar...
uspoenixb.jpg

I wasn't sure why it was so familar, so I followed the link and it notes:

"The New God Phoenix from Gatchaman II (The Phoenix, top). This model was motorized. Also, Ken's G-1 Eagle Sharp from Gatchaman II by (The G-1 SP, below) 1979, by Entex. Both kits were originally issued in Japan by Bandai. Under their agreements, Sandy Frank Entertainment had no rights to be able to sell or promote items associated with Gatchaman II. These two kits were made available through mutual error of Bandai, Sandy Frank and Tatsunoko, none realizing at the time that they had no relation to Battle of the Planets."

Then it struck me why it was so familiar. When I was a kid in 1979, my father took me on a trip one summer day to a liquidator store (called Job Lot). It was a somewhat long walk, but I enjoyed outings shopping whenever I could go (explains my current habits). In the store, there was a selection of models and I found one which I thought looked amazing, but somewhat unfamiliar. As a child, I was very drawn to the bright colors, the awesome bird design, the "PHOENIX" and of course the "Battle of the Planets". My father bought it for me (it was always a 50/50 shot since money was scarce back then) and I took it home. Once I got home, I was simply AMAZED at the kit. It was done in 3 colors of plastic and was...MOTORIZED!!! I was used to cheap Monogram, Lindbergh and Revell kits, so this was simply unbelievable to me. I remember assembling it and playing with it all summer, but just like with many things over time, it was eventually forgotten...until now! Boy, that brought back good memories. :w:

Last edited:
Nice paint job! I like this scheme a little better than the red/blue one & loved the enemy mechs. Can't wait to see the nose & the rest of the details!

Re: Firebird-mode/Fiery Phoenix: While this would be cool to see, I hope it you don't replicate it on a flight! :y: :wink:

Re: paint flaking: In addition to the regular prep methods, maybe adhesion promoter would help?

Any chance you can make a G-1 B/G to fly with it? :)
FEW10048.jpg

Nice paint job! I like this scheme a little better than the red/blue one & loved the enemy mechs. Can't wait to see the nose & the rest of the details!

Re: Firebird-mode/Fiery Phoenix: While this would be cool to see, I hope it you don't replicate it on a flight! :y: :wink:

Re: paint flaking: In addition to the regular prep methods, maybe adhesion promoter would help?

Any chance you can make a G-1 B/G to fly with it? :)

Thanks grapetang! Actually, the thought of one of these catching fire and coming in "hot" is pretty cool...how many people can say they replicated the fiery phoenix by accident? ;)

In my case, I think the flaking paint is due to the soft nosecone...I was surprised a few times when my grip on the painted nose ended up flexing in a bit...almost like a "mushy" nose...I knew that wasn't good each time it happened since it can crack the paint and stress the paint adhesion to the surface, so when flakes started coming off with the tape, it wasn't a total surprise...more of an "ARRGH".

I love the G-1! Could probably scratch build one into a rocket since it's got a good rocket profile...just add a dorsal fin on the bottom.

Back