My new spray paint housing or booth?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blast it Tom!

Well-Known Dweeb
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since I will work from home for the balance of my career, I just bought a more comfortable chair and the nice big box it came it, it seems to me, would make a good place to hang a model, rig up some vacuum, and have a filtered, cheapo spray paint box. Last year dear wifey complained that there was spray paint dust all over he storage room from my few little builds; I have a sawdust collector down there and thought perhaps if I rigged a filter of some sort I could keep the thing from getting all painted up on the inside.

Has anybody pulled a stunt like this? What sort of medium would you use for a filter? (yes, I searched here... perhaps not correctly but I searched....) ETA: Should've said spray paint booth. Found a thread with the term from bakc in June. That's the term I was looking for, but basically a big box on it's side with filtered vacuum attached at the top or rear.

Last edited:
FWIW I'm getting a spray paint "tent" for my daughter, who builds shelving and storage items. This one is about 6x9 feet, about 60-70 bucks. Essentially it's a tent with a wide opening.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Spra...464599?hash=item362d1329d7:g:io4AAOSwGjZamW8u
There are small and medium-sized ones too. There's no provision for filtering but paint on the inside walls ought not to be a big issue.

Best -- Terry

One thing to look for in the ventilation is that the paint fumes do not go through the fan motor. Fumes are flammable and the motor can ignite them. For paint booths the fan is housed separately from the motor and usually belt driven.

Thanks to both of you. The plan is for something small; I don't have room for a tent, plus it's usually cold when I spray paint, so my workshop/storage room is where it all happens. Fortunately, yes, my sawdust collector fan is belt-driven; but I'm wondering about further filtering, perhaps even with an activated charcoal layer, to cut down on the smell (I have a good respirator for my own protection. I'm thinking if I increase the area, like with a coffee-can adapter, I can still get reasonable evacuation through a good filter medium. I guess it's time to search "the Google"! ;)

Gosh, that Minion rocket is hilarious!

Since I will work from home for the balance of my career, I just bought a more comfortable chair and the nice big box it came it, it seems to me, would make a good place to hang a model, rig up some vacuum, and have a filtered, cheapo spray paint box. Last year dear wifey complained that there was spray paint dust all over he storage room from my few little builds; I have a sawdust collector down there and thought perhaps if I rigged a filter of some sort I could keep the thing from getting all painted up on the inside.

Has anybody pulled a stunt like this? What sort of medium would you use for a filter? (yes, I searched here... perhaps not correctly but I searched....) ETA: Should've said spray paint booth. Found a thread with the term from bakc in June. That's the term I was looking for, but basically a big box on it's side with filtered vacuum attached at the top or rear.
House HVAC filters work if you double up on them.

See George Gassaway's setup:

Last edited:
Also note that if your spray stream goes directly at your filters, you need to use double layer filtration or your filter WILL get clogged really, really fast as paint droplets build up on the filter material.

Also try to avoid static, as that'll make the paint behave strangely and often stick it to the sides of your paint booth instead of collecting it in the filters.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/21-paint-booth.163201/

Thanks to you both! I'll tell you what, that George Gassaway, what a rocketeer! Yes, I did see the thread with the tent, but I need something like George's setup... small, indoors, etc. @Banzai88, I still have to get over on the recovery section as you said on another thread... Got the Rutgers parachute paper, but I have some questions about the rip-stop you'd mentioned. I'll try for that later.

Thanks to you both! I'll tell you what, that George Gassaway, what a rocketeer! Yes, I did see the thread with the tent, but I need something like George's setup... small, indoors, etc. @Banzai88, I still have to get over on the recovery section as you said on another thread... Got the Rutgers parachute paper, but I have some questions about the rip-stop you'd mentioned. I'll try for that later.

No troubles. Feel free to send me a message. I've made dozens of parachutes in all sorts of styles and materials, and have more than a few spreadsheets and links to online pattern builders.

I built one a couple months ago using two $16 bathroom fans from Lowes and some 4" PVC elbows and flexy tube. I mounted them on a frame and then just cut up a box and taped it up to the fan openings - and use a furnace filter taped over the fans. I also bought a strip of LED lights at Lowes and stuck them in there as well, which was a good improvement (you can see them in the final pic with QModeling Rogue). As others have said, the filter picks up paint pretty quickly and slows down the flow - now I just lean it up against the back to keep the direct paint shots off the fans, but still allows quicker flow around the sides - then I pull it away once painting is done and let it run unrestricted to extract fumes. Works pretty well.

Attachments

• paintbooth1.jpg
    paintbooth1.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 68
  • paintbooth2.jpg
    paintbooth2.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 71
  • paintbooth3.jpg
    paintbooth3.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 70
  • paintbooth4.jpg
    paintbooth4.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 76
  • paintbooth5.jpg
    paintbooth5.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 77
I built one a couple months ago using two $16 bathroom fans from Lowes and some 4" PVC elbows and flexy tube. I mounted them on a frame and then just cut up a box and taped it up to the fan openings - and use a furnace filter taped over the fans. I also bought a strip of LED lights at Lowes and stuck them in there as well, which was a good improvement (you can see them in the final pic with QModeling Rogue). As others have said, the filter picks up paint pretty quickly and slows down the flow - now I just lean it up against the back to keep the direct paint shots off the fans, but still allows quicker flow around the sides - then I pull it away once painting is done and let it run unrestricted to extract fumes. Works pretty well.
I would stack 2 filters so les s paint fumes pass through the fan motors. As @SDramstad pointed out the fumes are flammable. Fan motor can ignite an cause an explosion.

FWIW I'm getting a spray paint "tent" for my daughter, who builds shelving and storage items. This one is about 6x9 feet, about 60-70 bucks. Essentially it's a tent with a wide opening.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Spra...464599?hash=item362d1329d7:g:io4AAOSwGjZamW8u
There are small and medium-sized ones too. There's no provision for filtering but paint on the inside walls ought not to be a big issue.

Best -- Terry
I have a medium one that works well for my rocket painting. Controls overspray on the patio since I'm a renter. If I owned the place, I'd build a dedicated paint booth, but this works for now.

What are the specs/Model/Brand name on those fans? Got an URL where they can be purchased online? TIA

This is more what I had in mind, but I have a sawdust collector. I want to protect the bag from getting clogged with paint, and as well, that doesn't get the fumes unless you include and activated charcoal filter - I guess you can duct your fumes outside through the hose? I think, based on your experience, I'll put the filters on top - perhaps less direct spray onto them that way. The smallest charcaol filter I've found to date is 14" x 25" but I google on! I figure to layer a chea pre-filter to catch most of the paint, folllowed by the good one, which may actually be two - regular particulate and charcoal.

Okay, thinking literally outside the box.

Room with closed door, closed windows.

Put a fan either THROUGH the door, blowing air from next room INTO your paint room, or, if weather allows, a window fan again blowing INTO the room. In cold weather this is probably a no go. You would also need to close any HVAC vents into the room. You want the ONLY outlet to be from your box, fan through door will require a safe electrical cord that allows door to open and close without impinging on or stretching the cord or tripping the occupants of the building.

Put a vent in the back of your box or tent with a duct (no filter) going to the outdoors, preferably not somewhere people frequently go and definitely not near pond or stream or other water source.

Turn fan on, you have now pressurized the room. The fan itself is nowhere near the paint.

Assuming the only outlet is through your duct, the natural direction of airflow should be out the back of your box, through the vent, and outdoors. Some may have issues with venting paint particles outside, but at least they are not, shall we say, flamboyant issues?

Very good; we use a similar way to gather brush dust in electrical machinery. However, SWNBO would frown heavily upon blowing holes in doors and walls just so I could spray paint!

However, to add to your suggestion - effective room pressurization could be done -maybe even overdone - by your Congressman - and it'd be warm, too! :)

This is more what I had in mind, but I have a sawdust collector. I want to protect the bag from getting clogged with paint, and as well, that doesn't get the fumes unless you include and activated charcoal filter - I guess you can duct your fumes outside through the hose? I think, based on your experience, I'll put the filters on top - perhaps less direct spray onto them that way.

Yes, I route the flex tube out my basement window (swing window frame up, drop in piece of same-size plywood with a clothes dryer thru-vent installed).

I should clarify that when I spray, the paint stream itself is directed to the bottom of the booth and accumulates there (I line it with brown paper, then a layer of plastic wrap on top which I like to think may draw dust and such via static, and can be changed out easily like a bird cage). But the overspray particles are immediately sucked into the filter and build up quickly. So you may not need to locate the fans up higher to avoid the direct paint stream, and if they go too high it might be more difficult to pull residual overspray up there (not an expert tho, just opinion based on experience so far).

Does a charcoal filter eliminate fumes? - wow that's cool, I'm always amazed at the quantity of fumes that is released by a small shot of spray paint, and that continues to emanate from the painted piece for hours after.

Does a charcoal filter eliminate fumes? - wow that's cool, I'm always amazed at the quantity of fumes that is released by a small shot of spray paint, and that continues to emanate from the painted piece for hours after.

Yes, it does, and yes, I've noticed the smell continuing for a while. I have a respirator with dual filtration (particulate/activated charcoal) and I strongly recommend using one when spray painting indoors, unless your booth sucks like a black hole! Those fumes really aren't good for you at all!

Yes, I route the flex tube out my basement window (swing window frame up, drop in piece of same-size plywood with a clothes dryer thru-vent installed).

This is the way. Open window, remove screen, place 'spacer' piece of ply in window, close window with spacer in place, route exhaust hose through spacer, paint. I have an external dryer vent on mine pre-installed. Prevents the wind causing blow back up the exhaust hose.

To work effectively, ANY exhaust has to have a draw of fresh air as well, so plan on that.

Also realize that charcoal filters will gather about as much as they're going to absorb in a single spray session, and like any activated filter, store unused ones in sealed bags until just about to use.

It's a long thread so I haven't read it all before jumping in. Please forgive anything already covered.

I use a big moving box to which I have not attached anything, and it works really well at preventing overspray, at the cost of adding some "bounce back". I use it outside mainly, where it shields the rocket from wind and the surroundings from overspray. I've used it indoors where it greatly reduces but does not eliminate mess.

My thought on adding a filter is that something from the auto parts store is probably good. A cabin air filter or one of the rectangular style engine air filters. And I'd add a cardboard or plywood baffle in front of it to keep direct spray off.

Back