My new Rocket (construction) project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarrm

Reaction score
Well Ive decided to take on a little undertaking and do something ive always thought was cool looking but didnt think I could do it. Well Im trying it. Ill be posting pics as she comes along. Will it work, I have no idea but it will be fun trying.

First Pic : Ground breaking.

Dan

Come on.... You've *got* to give us more of a clue as to what your building than that..... ;)

Ok here is your second hint as to what it may be. God I hate waiting for glue to dry.

Dan

Here is a closeup of the tower. Does anyone know how to age this. I want it to look as its been weathered.

Dan

We need to know what it is to guess how well you'll have to age it!:D

I'm just guessing here, but if you were to use water on the wood, it would make it crack and splinter, making it look worn out. Remember though, water will dissolve white and yellow glues...:rolleyes:

Jason

Water is a bad idea. This thing is being held together with nothing but wood glue.

Dan

I have been told that clorine bleach will make the wood turn grey and old looking. I haven't tried it myself but you could try it on a spare one of those craft sticks you're using.

The bleach trick is what they use on Cape Cod to make the cedar shingles on the cottages look weathered without waiting for a couple of seasons.

Fincan section with ejection charge tube and payload section.

Dan

Originally posted by Dbarrm
Here is a closeup of the tower. Does anyone know how to age this. I want it to look as its been weathered.

Dan

There's a technique called "dry-brushing", I'm not sure if you've heard of it or not. Pretty much you apply paint to a small or large brush depending on your application area. Then you remove 95% of the paint by painting on a piece of paper towel, and apply what ever is left onto the surface you want to looked aged. If you choose the right colors and mess around with shadows you should be able to get the correct aging effect.

I think the question really is for hw long?!

Its a scale model of the rocket that the professor made out of palm trees and coconut glue that was supposed to take Gilligan and the rest of the castaways into a low earth orbit where they could signal a passing spacecraft to help get them off of the island! But Gilligan accidently pressed the retro rocket button halfway into the flight and they crashed back into the lagoon where upon the skipper hit him with his hat. OK, well its a better guess than you other guys have come up with so far.

Originally posted by rokitflite
Its a scale model of the rocket that the professor made out of palm trees and coconut glue that was supposed to take Gilligan and the rest of the castaways into a low earth orbit where they could signal a passing spacecraft to help get them off of the island! But Gilligan accidently pressed the retro rocket button halfway into the flight and they crashed back into the lagoon where upon the skipper hit him with his hat. OK, well its a better guess than you other guys have come up with so far.

OH MY GOD, you hit the nail on the head. This was my hidden entry to the X Prize. Its called Gilligan’s Voyager. Now I just need a fat sailor and a movie star.

Dan

Lower section almost done. Tower is getting there.

Dan

is this the one from
"Gilligan's Planet" (1982) ?

An animated re-make of the famous TV series "Gilligan's Island." The gang of castaways, using the palm trees, coconuts and bananas from their island, build a spaceship and leave planet Earth behind. Of course, they get marooned on an uncharted planet, where they encounter bizarre space creatures and other hazards of extraterrestrial living.

Well as you can tell our tower construction crew has been on the ball. Level 3 is now up and in working order. Looks like our rocket scientists aren’t doing so good. It seems the lead scientists forgot to order one important part and now we are at a work stoppage until said part arrives.

Dan

Looks like your doing this during work. What is it you do for work? If it's building rockets, can I have an application? I have several years experience.

I am a Meteorological and Navigation Systems Technician. I maintain and repair ground based instrument landing systems and weather equipment. Its kind of like being a fireman. We sit around and wait for something to go wrong. So I have a lot of free time to mess around and my boss doesn’t care that I do rocket stuff.

Here is a link to a better understanding of what I do. Met/Nav

Dan

OK, that's just not fair. Basically, you're getting paid to build rockets. That's just too cool. And I have absolutely no idea what your trying to build, but the popsicle sticks are very interesting. Can't wait to see the final product.

Originally posted by stymye
I found a pic of the space capsule

Great picture, although I think that was from the episode in which the Russian cosmonauts accidentally landed at the island, and the castaways kept trying to convince the cosmonauts to help get them rescued.

Have you memorized every episode of Gilligan's Island?

After what that has done to your brain, maybe you shouldn't be playing with rockets?

Originally posted by Dbarrm

Dan

If you want really natural-looking aging, go put it outside for 5 or 10 years. Your glue should be really dry by then.

;)

Our tower construction crew continues to make great progress. The upper level is now in place and the hoist should soon be installed. Lighting and communications should be installed tomorrow. As for the Rocket project. We are still on hold for the motor parts. The project director is getting very upset and says waiting for parts is like waiting for glue to dry.

Attached are the latest photos.

Dan

Back