My new Rocket Boost Glider - Hobbyking Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was pretty good. I actually overshot my landing spot by quite a bit as it was gliding so well. Hope to fly it again soon and get a friend to video the whole flight.

Looks like it has the option of adding a FPV nose camera. Did you build it as a full r/c glider? Wondering what you meant by "overshot my landing spot".

The wing flew great and was very stable. I like it a lot. I also have a normal electric version that flies like a trainer on a 3s lipo.
Video of that flying here.

As for what I meant by overshot my landing spot - I mean I had already planned to land it in a area near me, and once the rocket motor had finished its burn I turned the wing towards the area to land. But it’s glide was better then I expected so was still around 30 feet high when it flew over the spot I expected it to land. So instead landed a short distance past me.

Good stuff! Are you using the CG location specified for the model at launch?

What are you using for battery?

Have you considered using the Aerotech E-6P RC or E-6RC (reload, must buy casing [$45])? These are lower thrust, longer duration motors from Dynasoar Rocketry.

https://dynasoarrocketry.com/

Last edited:
8600AEB3-2E94-4129-B9E5-E656D1450AF1.jpeg Can’t remember where the cg is in the manual but mine is approx 160mm from the nose. Almost inline with the small carbon rods on the the front of the bottom fins

Would love to use the E6 motors but they are not available in the U.K.

As for battery I’m using a Turnigy 2s 1000mah lipo. Could go smaller. But had them at hand and it helped with the cg

Mine is approx 298 grams ready to fly, but a fiend of mine uses a smaller battery and his weighs around 260 grams

Photo of the insides

B2DE9C71-A84B-4B36-A96C-8B13BF3F85BF.jpeg
Marks showing cg - almost in-line with carbon rods on front of bottom fins

Cool! I've got orange rcx and tcx that I don't use anymore. Maybe this would be a good place for them. Did this take a lot of work to convert? Do you have to buy the transmitter and receiver with the model? I'm assuming that the Tomahawk is available in the U.S.

Cool! I've got orange rcx and tcx that I don't use anymore. Maybe this would be a good place for them. Did this take a lot of work to convert? Do you have to buy the transmitter and receiver with the model? I'm assuming that the Tomahawk is available in the U.S.

Took about 30mins to convert to rocket power. Mainly removing the plastic motor mount and cutting hole for rocket tube.
Tomahawk is sold via Hobbyking

Back