My New Launch Platform - 20mm T-slot Rail + 10mm Makerbeam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Some of my larger scratch-builds lately made me realize I needed a rail-based launch platform. I am still all low-powered and nothing as fancy as many of your launch towers.

Started with a pair of 10mm X 10mm X 1.5m Makerbeams and then also incorporated a 20mm X 20mm X 2m T-Slot Rail as well. Tripod is from some work lights and 3D printed parts hold it all together. I have been able to 3D print rail buttons and lugs for both types of rails (but also bought some micro buttons for the 10mm rail just in case they work better). Seems like this will work well (although certainly more to carry to my launches than the current rod-based setup). I don't launch when it is very windy but I am thinking I can stake it down if there is any risk of it tipping over.

Still need to add blast shields but trying to work out the easiest way to attach so they either fold or detach. Any thoughts?

Hoping to test tomorrow since I have so many new rockets to test.

20210731_084157.jpg 20210731_084607.jpg
20210731_091805.jpg 20210731_091815.jpg

Seems like a unique implementation using some conventional parts and some unconventional thinking. I'm a fan.

Maybe for blast deflectors, you could use a rectangular piece of sheetmetal, cut 2 slots, bend a tab and attach your rail button prints to the back. Just slide it down before the rocket and its in place below the motor.

Sandy.

Attachments

• blast deflector.JPG
    blast deflector.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 26
Back