My new Kraken

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonypv

And so it begins...
Reaction score
This is my new Kraken to replace the one I lost last summer.
My old Kraken can be seen here in the TRF archive.
I've had this one built for while but just got around to painting it.
I added a decal and spray painted the florescent instead of brush painting the inside of the tube fins.

Kraken rebuild sm.jpg

I really like the high contrast between the black and the fluorescent. By the way, how hard was it to spray paint the inside of the tubes without getting it to run?

Wow Tony! If I ever get one I am going to send it to you so that you can build and paint it for me. Excellent colors and finish. Now, a launch report!

WOW Tony!
:eyepop:
Your usual superb work....
Yep, the florescent color really jumps out at you.
And love the Kraken decal, would you mind if we offered a decal with the kit that is based on yours?
We'll even list you on the Destructions as the perpetrator of said decal.

:D

Great job, very nice finish work. How did you loose your first one? Great idea Layne I also like using deacals on my Krakens.

DSCN0826.jpg

I really like the high contrast between the black and the fluorescent. By the way, how hard was it to spray paint the inside of the tubes without getting it to run?

Thanks.
I sprayed a little at a time in shot bursts letting to dry in between.

Wow Tony! If I ever get one I am going to send it to you so that you can build and paint it for me. Excellent colors and finish. Now, a launch report!

Thanks Raul.
I'll be flying it on June 21 at the next CMASS launch. There will be pictures.

WOW Tony!
:eyepop:
Your usual superb work....
Yep, the florescent color really jumps out at you.
And love the Kraken decal, would you mind if we offered a decal with the kit that is based on yours?
We'll even list you on the Destructions as the perpetrator of said decal.

:D

Thanks Layne.

Sure that would be cool. :)
I was hoping the red would be brighter even though it's printed on white decal paper.

Great job, very nice finish work. How did you loose your first one? Great idea Layne I also like using deacals on my Krakens.

Thanks.

On an E9 flight it drifted over a line on trees up on a hill to the east landing in an area of chest high grass. Being that I couldn't see where in come down and also a very hot humid day I didn't spend too much time trying to find it.

Thanks.
I sprayed a little at a time in shot bursts letting to dry in between.

Thanks Raul.
I'll be flying it on June 21 at the next CMASS launch. There will be pictures.

Oh, I'll have to try that method on my next tube fin.

On an E9 flight it drifted over a line on trees up on a hill to the east landing in an area of chest high grass. Being that I couldn't see where in come down and also a very hot humid day I didn't spend too much time trying to find it.

I lost both my Krakens because they "drifted off". I would highly recommend a 3" or 4" spill hole in the stock chute.

Very Nice as always Tony, I like the florescent orande against the black.

Yeah...
Seems the 18" chute we put in them was a bit much, so now they have 16" chutes.

My second one had the 16" chute. The chute opened at about 800ft, it came quickly down to about 300 ft, it was last seen in binoculars over some woods a half mile away, still about 200 ft up. I would still put at least a 3" spill hole in the 16" chute.

My second one had the 16" chute. The chute opened at about 800ft, it came quickly down to about 300 ft, it was last seen in binoculars over some woods a half mile away, still about 200 ft up. I would still put at least a 3" spill hole in the 16" chute.

Well crud....
We may have to start including dual deploy, GPS, telemetry, and a converted personal alarm so that they stop disappearing. Wonder if they are all going to the ancient Kraken burial ground.....

Well crud....
We may have to start including dual deploy, GPS, telemetry, and a converted personal alarm so that they stop disappearing. Wonder if they are all going to the ancient Kraken burial ground.....

I'm a "Shellback" from my Navy days and have an in with King Neptune. I think they just don't like me and run off.

I'm a "Shellback" from my Navy days and have an in with King Neptune. I think they just don't like me and run off.

Cool a Shellback. That’s probably the first time that term has been used on a rocketry forum instead of a sailing forum.
After a few F-35 launches and waiting forever for the Kraken to come down and then having to walk a mile to get it I switched to a Top Flight 12" X form chute. The decent doesn't seem to fast and the since the tube fins are kind of springy nothing has ever broke

:boat:

Cool a Shellback. That’s probably the first time that term has been used on a rocketry forum instead of a sailing forum. :boat:
After a few F-35 launches and waiting forever for the Kraken to come down and then having to walk a mile to get it I switched to a Top Flight 12" X form chute. The decent doesn't seem to fast and the since the tube fins are kind of springy and not prone to cracking nothing has ever broke

Last edited:
Yes, please, do a decal so he doesn't make the Art Department (me!) paint all his Kraken's by hand! :p

:2: And I've heard powdered sugar donuts work well to motivate recovery teams be they small children, four legged variety, or squeeze's. Of course sometimes squeezes require a little wineing and dining (and offers of dinners later) to deploy. :roll:

Troody, a "squeeze" herself.

Back