My new Jawstand launch pad.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzviper1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished it.
Nothing really groundbreaking but a few things different. I used 1/8 thick aluminum plate for the mount and blast deflector. In addition to the standoff, I added another angle bracket on the side to hang the wires. To finish off the blast deflector I JB welded a ceramic tile to the plate and coated the whole thing with high temp ceramic paint.

IMG_20221228_125421539.jpgIMG_20221228_125434248.jpgIMG_20221228_125441983.jpgIMG_20221228_125450940.jpg

JazzViper ,

What adhesive did you use to attach the Ceramic tile to the deflector. Mine is similar to yours with a stainless steel deflector.
and I already have a tile to use to protect it...

Paul

I like your idea of using a tile on the blast deflector. I'm thinking about how to make something in each corner to capture the tile (angle bracket, perhaps), so then I could remove it if it ever gets damaged.

I like your idea of using a tile on the blast deflector. I'm thinking about how to make something in each corner to capture the tile (angle bracket, perhaps), so then I could remove it if it ever gets damaged.

Re-home a couple of z-clips like LOC uses for motor retention. A couple of those should do what you want, but you may have to be creative with where you put the screw heads to reduce corrosion.

So I have a quick question quasi-related to the design above -- which is beautiful by the way. It seems like most of the space launch vehicle that I can think of direct their exhaust straight down to the ground where the exhaust gasses are then deflected outwards at 90 degrees. I always assumed that they did that so that the exhaust gasses / propellant basically had something to push off of -- the ground -- giving the LV greater upward thrust. I see in the OPs design that the blast deflector is angled down. Does that take away from the upward momentum of the model rocket or do I have the physics all wrong?

So I have a quick question quasi-related to the design above -- which is beautiful by the way. It seems like most of the space launch vehicle that I can think of direct their exhaust straight down to the ground where the exhaust gasses are then deflected outwards at 90 degrees. I always assumed that they did that so that the exhaust gasses / propellant basically had something to push off of -- the ground -- giving the LV greater upward thrust. I see in the OPs design that the blast deflector is angled down. Does that take away from the upward momentum of the model rocket or do I have the physics all wrong?
Yes, you got the physics wrong. The rocket motor pushes opposite of the exhaust. Once the exhaust leaves the nozzle, there is no feedback to the motor. It doesn't matter if the exhaust hits a flat surface, or angled, or none at all.

JazzViper ,

What adhesive did you use to attach the Ceramic tile to the deflector. Mine is similar to yours with a stainless steel deflector.
and I already have a tile to use to protect it...

Paul
J B weld. It has worked well on my other pads, it can take the heat.

Back