My new hero!!! (and I didn't even know he was a TRFer!)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KermieD

Reaction score
So, we get done doing the TDD launches, and I happen to have my Packer rocket (complete with 2 player autographs :D) ready to go on a Cesaroni I284 Smoky Sam. Beautiful launch arcing into the wind (which was good because I thought I would have a shorter walk since it was pretty windy--HA!!). The rocket separates just after apogee, but the chute gets stuck for about a second or two before opening (another bonus, or so I thought at the time--shorter walk again). Well the thing drifts way over to the other side of the road (dunno--maybe a quarter mile). So, I note a couple of landmarks and hop in the car to go get the rocket.

When I pull to the side of the road, my worst fears are verified. A guy shouts "We found your rocket" to me. Close by, here's a guy sitting on the shore of a pond holding a 20 ft. pole. However, the rocket is probably another 40-60 feet beyond the reach of the pole. On the positive side, there's a layer of ice on the top of the pond yet, so the rocket is sitting there nice and dry. On the negative side, the ice isn't much more than 1/2" thick, so there's no way anyone can just walk on it to go get the rocket.

Just as the guy who originally shouted to me is discussing how someone has a fishing pole with high-test line, a weight and a slingshot, the guy holding the pole goes "hang on a sec and let me get my boots". I figure the boots come up to about mid-calf, and I'm looking out at the rocket, thinking "what a doofus, there's no way he's gonna get out that far before he gets in over his boots". Well, he starts wading out, kinda feeling his way on the ice. I'm figuring he's checking to see if maybe it's a little thicker as you go out.

Nope. He gets out to the top of his boots and then starts STOMPING on the ice to break it up. This guy (who is now my hero) ends up wading through the pond all the way up to his waist, where he hooks my rocket and brings it back. I thank him profusely and he goes "Bah, no problem. I've got dry clothes at the hotel." You gotta understand, this water can't be more than 35 degrees F.

About 20 minutes ago, I'm browsing the Wisconsin TDD thread and realize that my hero is none other than our own mge55389!! Mike, I am forever in your debt!!!

Sounds like you owe him a case of something cold...er...assuming he's thawed out!

Blushing... No problem! My NAR Team Competition partner has put his HPR rocket in the drink at almost every meet. I'm 30+ years younger, so I volunteer to go in after it. I guess it's starting to turn into a reflex.:D The sad part.. as soon as I realize that my pole should be at least twice as long... I say to myself, " I should have packed my X-mas present".. a pair of waders.:D Sorry I forgot to indroduce myself, I guess I got wrapped up into the whole " History in the Making" moment. I bet you won't forget who I am now will ya.

Nope! I won't forget.

If we decide to bid for NARCON 2005 and you come down, your drinks are on me!

Seeing that Mike is from MN, I'd guess 35 degrees is pretty balmy for him! :)

Originally posted by KermieD
I happen to have my Packer rocket (complete with 2 player autographs ) ready to go on a Cesaroni I284 Smoky Sam.

Can we see the rocket? i suppose you have posted pics some where, but if you have anything from the launch it would be great;) I have a packer rocket... 13mm min dia with a nurf football NC, complete with "Cheese Head" fins:D .
Any way, congrats to you Mike! :)

Originally posted by Ryan S.
ah, a true hero. Your bravery is immense.

Now all I need is someone to come down here and retrieve my rockets when they land in alligator and snake infested swamps, ponds, and lakes!

Here's a pic of it going up on a 4 grain Smoky Sam. Not from last weekend, but it was the same motor.

nice rocket... i think i've seen a pic of it b4, on someones website. good luck in getting more players autographs... and try not to loose it:D ;)

Kermie: Way cool rocket -- who's signed it so far? (I'm a Packer season ticket holder, and a stockholder -- I grew up in Green Bay, and only live down here in Flatland because it's where the jobs are.)

mge: you're brave indeed, and self-sacrificing, to be a Minnesotan yet be willing to save a Packer rocket. :D

That is some kinda hero. To wade out in 35F water??? Yuck! After living in North Carolina for the last 20 years, the only way you'll find me up north this time of year is out of necessity! Let alone wade out in 35F water! I hate wading in 55F water during trout season! But on the flipside I do very well in 100,110+ weather! :D

Kenobi, right now I only have Frank Winters and Torrence Marshall on there. However, this season, a local tavern is hosting a radio show where they're getting players to interview. The list should grow quickly.

If you're ever looking for a place to get rid of your tickets for any game......(like you haven't heard that one before). I don't have tix, but am a stockholder as well.

Originally posted by KermieD
Kenobi, right now I only have Frank Winters and Torrence Marshall on there. However, this season, a local tavern is hosting a radio show where they're getting players to interview. The list should grow quickly.

If you're ever looking for a place to get rid of your tickets for any game......(like you haven't heard that one before). I don't have tix, but am a stockholder as well.

Good ol' Frankie Bag-o-Donuts! He married a Flatlander, you know; his wife's from Brookfield IL (where I live now).

My family still lives in Green Bay; I get to one game a year, and my dad goes to the rest.

Back