My New 29mm Two Stager

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Estes recommended E2X PSII E-series launch pads come with the 1/4" rod (like the one that is bundled with the old Prowler launch set)
I think they are 5', yes, the 3' rods would probably not be long enough.

I built the booster per the instructions, really. I just realized there are no vent holes for the escaping air. There's not much "free space" between the booster motor and the sustainer motor. It's about three inches and the tube diameter is two inches. I wonder if I should add in some 1/4 inch holes.
The stock booster unit uses a "staging cone" (essentially, a funnel) to concentrate the blowby gasses into the sustainer motor nozzle. So I don't believe vent holes are needed.
0405201719[1].jpg

I thought I'd share what I have been working on while the construction of the Black Brant Vb has been suspended and have a little game too.

-Bob
Launch that only in dead calm! When I flew a Majestic 2 stager, on a 5’ 1/4” rod, F15-0/F15-8, it weather cocked severely into a moderate wind (5-10), and was nearly horizontal when it staged.

Launch that only in dead calm! When I flew a Majestic 2 stager, on a 5’ 1/4” rod, F15-0/F15-8, it weather cocked severely into a moderate wind (5-10), and was nearly horizontal when it staged.

In a case like that, would it make any difference if you slightly tilt the rod downwind at launch, or not?

And F15 to an F15 is a lot of weight, hence previous recommendations to use an E16 for one or both stages. Should help at least a little.

In a case like that, would it make any difference if you slightly tilt the rod downwind at launch, or not?
I'm sort of always darned if I do, darned if I don't.

If I launch with the wind, seems like the rocket FAILS to weathercock and goes way the heck and gone downwind.

If I launch INTO the wind, it weathercocks and goes horizontal and goes way the heck Upwind (and the wind is not sufficient to bring it back.)

:(

(I'm still voting to put an adapter in and put a D12 in the sustainer)

One of my first BAR scratch builds was a BT70 (2.1”) based Estes Vigilante upscale. I meant it for the FF BP motor set. I did t think I overbuilt.

On a calm day, it’s a beautiful sight.

But boy, she weathercocks. It’s right at 3:1 thrust to weight.

If I could find them, I’d go with the E16-0 booster. Easier to find the booster. Slightly thrustier, according to the curves.

A couple of "firsts" today...

The NorthStar had it's first flight. It was a Estes E16-0 to an Estes F15-6. I had added rail buttons and I launched it from a 6 foot 10/10 rail. It was slow off the rod but flew straight. Staging was low but perfect second stage ignition. The sustainer accelerated quickly but weather cocked a bit. Wind speed was pretty low at ground level but seemed stronger at about 800 feet AGL. I would guess apogee was around 1200 to 1300.

Nose cone popped off and chute came out as planned, then she tumbled to about 500 feet AGL and the chute popped open. That was the other first for the day, my first use of a Jolly Logic chute release.

The speed of the initial launch would have looked very cool/scale like for one of the Saturn rockets. I have been thinking about The upcoming Saturn 1B release and now I think I will get one. I love scale, but not manned space flight. Mostly build sounding rockets and military scale but I am drawn to the Saturn 1B. I know it's sized for a 24mm engine but I wonder if the 29mm E16 might be the "bomb" for a scale-like launch with it.

Anyway, real happy with the flight today. Also flew my Vapor for the second time with a E-12-6 and that went well too. What a good day!

-Bob

Well that's because I posted on my laptop which no longer has a mail program because the insidious operating system updated itself and deleted most of the non-microsoft programs that were on it. Even OpenRocket!

But I'm on my phone now that has a picture from today :) so let me try

20201017_110753.jpg

Bob

Back