My main computer died!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shrox

Reaction score
My main design and render computer died. I had most of the important stuff backed-up, but I might have lost a few new things I will have to reconstruct. A new power supply started the fans and board lights up but no BIOS beeps. Any idea how bad the damage is, or did I just forget to hook up something? In the morning I'll take it down to the local computer store and see what I need.

shrox

I would try some different RAM, first. If the RAM has failed then you won't get a POST beep.

Strip the PC down to absolute basics - PSU, CPU, RAM (preferably only one module), video card. See if that makes a difference. If it works, reconnect the other components one at a time. If the PC works, then you put something back in and switch it on and it doesn't work any more, then what you just put back in is probably faulty. :)

Try reseating the CPU, RAM and video card. And, if the CPU is a Pentium 4, make sure the extra connector from the PSU to the motherboard is in place. ;)

Originally posted by shrox
My main design and render computer died. I had most of the important stuff backed-up, but I might have lost a few new things I will have to reconstruct. A new power supply started the fans and board lights up but no BIOS beeps.

If it's just the motherboard, your hard drive is probably OK. You might want to attempt
a resurection of the data before you give up hope.

Good Luck!

Shrox

At least save the hard drive(s), you should be able to recover data from them.

If your computer is a PC that is less than a Pentuim III its time to wrap it in chains and dip it in the lake! I run a few old PC's at home and work that have DOS, Windows 3.1 or Windows 95 operating systems installed on them, they just aren't worth the time investment to repair. I keep these old machines running to use some of the old programs I have.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

New motherboard and processor, now I have to resurrect an old mind in a new brain...

shrox

Latest posts

Back