My Madcow 2.6 Bomarc build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I look at this, and all I see are the tiny imperfections, like a bit of a dimple where one of the wing rivets is, and I can't quite tell if the grain will show through where I may have taken a little too much off. However I'm also tempted to call it good enough and see how some primer makes it look. I imagine I'll be doing a bit of sanding on the primer anyway, and I know it will look pretty good from a nice socially distant distance. :rolleyes: 😁

IMG_7184.JPGIMG_7185.JPGIMG_7186.JPGIMG_7187.JPGIMG_7188.JPGIMG_7189.JPG

I am always surprised when I see a photo of the work I just finished. The photo amplifies any imperfection.

-Bob

I received the second ramjet- it's a bit roughr than the first one, but both will need some prep before paint anyway. I'll work on that and sanding/painting the whole thing probably on Sunday, Monday if it's too rainy...

Your build is coming along great Wally, keep up the fantastic work! And it warms my heart to see the ramjet intake prints you've ordered. I seem to recall mine weighing in about the same as what yours are, but you'll never have to worry about them getting dented on recovery!

KMc

Darn, did you use the same service?
I used Craftcloud for both, the first one was done in south Carolina, the second one was done in Oklahoma. It really is not bad, just a slight bit rougher- the tip of the cone is actually in better shape than the first. I'll get a couple of photos up later, I am VERY happy with them both, to be clear. It's just an observation about 3D printing nuances/differences between machines, perhaps...

I used 80 grit, thinking I would then go finer, but I'm thinking more sanding is overkill- it's easy to get super picky and never be satisfied... You can see the notch in the tip of the first cone, thus I stated the second one was a touch better in that regard, even if slightly out of focus.

IMG_7202.JPG

Picked up some more primer, so finished spraying the second coat. I removed the ramjets, as they needed more sanding prior to another coat. I will need to do some surgical sanding to re-fill the balsa seams on the wing, I believe...

IMG_7229.JPGIMG_7234.JPGIMG_7235.JPGIMG_7236.JPGIMG_7237.JPGIMG_7239.JPG

Got back to the Bomarc. I decided rather than use wood filler again, I would use my non-rattle can primer with a brush to fill the gaps. A disgusting amount, in some places. That was last week. Today, I sanded it, and got it ready for the next coat of spray primer. Alas, it was a tad too chilly out for me to actually paint. Maybe Tuesday?

IMG_7280.JPGIMG_7297.JPGIMG_7298.JPGIMG_7299.JPGIMG_7301.JPG

Good to see that you got 'back on your horse' with this. Isnt primering balsa fun ??! Ha.
I'm still a few days behind you in the process, but should be ready to put the primer away
by the end of this week.
carry on!

Good to see that you got 'back on your horse' with this. Isnt primering balsa fun ??! Ha.
I'm still a few days behind you in the process, but should be ready to put the primer away
by the end of this week.
carry on!
Thanks, I was either out of primer, or it's been cold and raining, or I've been earning a living- Things weren't aligning for me to work on paint. Like today MIGHT get to about 60 degrees, I work Wed - Sat, and Sunday will be mid-70's. Are the high 50's - very low 60's warm enough for good results? Maybe... I guess I'll see how bad the itch is later today... 🤔:p

It looks like it's coming along well. IDK I cringe at the thought of all that sanding. Wish I could get over that but it's just so time consuming but that's what it takes to get a nice paint job.

It looks like it's coming along well. IDK I cringe at the thought of all that sanding. Wish I could get over that but it's just so time consuming but that's what it takes to get a nice paint job.
I also cringe. Truth- one reason I picked this kit for the build thread was as a way to force me to care enough to follow through with the finish. :rolleyes:

I also cringe. Truth- one reason I picked this kit for the build thread was as a way to force me to care enough to follow through with the finish. :rolleyes:
Good idea. I built the jayhawk awhile back. In fact it's on Madcow'd website in the gallery. I posted some pictures of it and not wanting too someone here offered to buy it. I never bother building another but I may someday?

Honestly it look good enough (primer) on May 5 after 2nd coat of primer. Remember it is meant to fly and will get bang up. Let's see this baby Roar off the pad.

Back