My level 2 rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim fustini

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my finished level two attempt bird. It is a highly modified Loc mini mag. Glassed booster(the mini mag tube) Fiberglass fins to the MM. Upped it to a 54mm ,E-bay, duel deploy, Skyangle chute 60" ,Kevlar harness, Nomex blanket . Hialt45, Weight 12.63 lbs.

L2 rocket 002.jpg

That is one sweet bird! :D :) :eyepop:

What motor are you planning to use for your cert. The fin can doesn't look long enough for a 54mm L, so maybe a mid range K?

Ooooohhhh that's purdy. With a name like "Burn Notice" you need to be cert'ing on a skid of some sort.

Good luck!

-Dave

That is one sweet bird! :D :) :eyepop:

What motor are you planning to use for your cert. The fin can doesn't look long enough for a 54mm L, so maybe a mid range K?

If I go conservative a Cesi J 295. If not An Aerotech K 185. I will be doing my cert attempt a Michigan International Speedway with JMRC they don't allow Sparkies:(

IMHO at almost 13 lbs I think you might want to reconsider your motor choice especially if that is without the motor. The J295 ought to be okay but the K185 doesn't look like it has quite enough average thrust. It'll probably work just not on a real windy day especially if your design is over-stable.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/resources/maxweightbox.cgi

https://www.thrustcurve.org/graphs/simfile962_650x350lbs.png

Using the 5:1 thrust to weight ratio rule of thumb - the initial thrust of 60 lbs divided by 5 = 12 lbs. About 1/2 a lb under your current weight and that is without the big 'ol K in there.

If I were you I would opt for the K550 (same case) which I am told is one of the most reliable reloads on the market.

Good luck!

-Dave

IMHO at almost 13 lbs I think you might want to reconsider your motor choice especially if that is without the motor. The J295 ought to be okay but the K185 doesn't look like it has quite enough average thrust. It'll probably work just not on a real windy day especially if your design is over-stable.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/cgi-bin/resources/maxweightbox.cgi

https://www.thrustcurve.org/graphs/simfile962_650x350lbs.png

Using the 5:1 thrust to weight ratio rule of thumb - the initial thrust of 60 lbs divided by 5 = 12 lbs. About 1/2 a lb under your current weight and that is without the big 'ol K in there.

If I were you I would opt for the K550 (same case) which I am told is one of the most reliable reloads on the market.

Good luck!

-Dave

I'm a big fan of slow, white smokey liftoffs. I know the K185 is pushing the envelope. I want to get a good video of the launch. You are right the K550 is a better choice on thrust curve. Rocksim tells me the K185 will work. I'll play it safe if I go with a K550 If I decide to put it up on a K . I'm going drogueless at apogee '700 main to keep it in the area at MIS

Here is a shot of the business end. Thanks to everyone for the advice and well wishes.:)

L2 rocket 004.jpg

After you get your L2 bring that baby on over to Three Oaks and you can burn all the sparkies you want.

;)

We usually see a decent contingent from the JMRC folks for the fall and spring launches.

-Dave

Thanks for the invitation Dave , I just might take you up on that. I have seen many photos of three oaks on Eldred Picket's web page. And videos of some very cool launches here and there. Your events are the biggest high power happenings of the year here in Michigan. I hope to see you in November.

Jim,

The rocket looks really nice. I am also a fan of the low and slow. At the last launch at MIS, Scott and Roger have decided to allow Sparkies. Conditions have to be right and they must be flown from a pad on the paved or gravel drives.

Our launch field has changed to the Graves Farm area on the south side of the track, just off SR 12.

What kind of altitude are you expecting out of the J and K motors?

-Gabe

Gabe, 2541 on the CTI J295, 3498 with the AT K 550 I believe I've seen you couple of times at JMRC launches, Just never been introduced. Come by my canopy at the next launch I'll show you some of my other HP rockets. I've seen the new area, looks good.

Jim,

Im sure the flight will be pretty cool. The rocket looks really great too. Did you create an area in the nose for a tracker? I do that with all my rockets now.

Due to the field size, I would recommend using the J295, or even the J285. The waiver does allow flights up to 5K, but the NAR guidelines limit that field to roughly 2500ft. (might be slightly more)

I have a baby due in October, so I wont be at any more JMRC launches this year. I will be doing my L3 at Muskegon on the 29th and that should be it for the year.

I look forward to checking out some of your birds.

-Gabe

I would highly recommend something as small as possible for the cert flight...then kick that BAD BOY IN THE PANTS!!! :dark:

Maybe a CTI Pro38 J285...just barely a J...J motor. (My L2 motor of choice)
Maybe an AT J420R..again just barely a J...J motor
Or for that white smoke you crave....the venerable AT J350W. All the White smoke and noise anyone could ask for and probably under 1,500' altitude for an relaxed L2 attempt.

Then drop in that AT K550W or something even more aggresive to have some fun...but keep your cert attempt as slow and easy as possible. If you have the room, a Loki L1400W will "burn" that baby!!!

Good Luck with whatever you decide. You have a beautiful bird!!!

Yup, the J285 is a 1% J-motor, but enough to get that L2. A K will probably be overkill for M.I.S.

Jim, if you look at Buzz's pics for the July launch, you will see my Polecat Goblin on a sparky motor.

Hey Jim,

Your rocket looks very nice! The finish looks smooth and the colors vibrant. I am curious about the booster section. It looks surprisingly similar to a Loc Mini-Mag. Is this bird based on 5.5 inch tubing? I have an extended Mini-Mag called FLEMI that now weighs in at about the same weight as yours and can fly on a K185 and has flown on an AT K270-W at Three Oaks. The K270 lofted FLEMI, at a lift-off weight of ~19.5lbs, to nearly 6k feet and averaged ~400mph for about 4-5 seconds during the flight.

I guess I need to learn to read for content! :) ........"Glassed booster(the mini mag tube)... " In any case if it's not too windy put it up on the K185. You will be above the 3:1 minimum thrust to weight ratio requirement and we only live once right?

I will probably not be at the MIS launch in lieu of an astrophotography trip north that weekend but I wish you the best of luck. And I support your idea to fly the K185! This motor and the K270 are soooo much fun to watch and listen to. Look forward to any photos and videos.

Here is a photo of FLEMI..........
IMG_8521.jpg

The link below if you care to see it is a compilation from Spring Three Oaks 2008. The last rocket is FLEMI and the sound generated by the motor is great and I apologize ahead of time for the colorful vocabulary. In my defense I was very excited and happy, if you couldn’t tell!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i77y9SXJCnk

Best of Luck,
Jason

Last edited:
Jason, We have met a couple of times. At MIS once and at Commonwealth displays. The reason my rocket looks like your Flemi is because yours inspired me to make it. You must not remember me. But I asked you a lot of questions about your Flemi. I ended up using just the slotted tube and nose cone from a mini mag kit . Everything else is scratch or swapped out. Loc e-bay, I cut new fins from G-10 (to the MM tabs) upped it to 54mm (PML tube and a third ring) aeropack retainer, kevlar harness, skyangle chute ect... Since I am attempting my cert at MIS I think I am going with the CTI J295 to play it safe. (This is also my first duel deploy HIalt45 ground tested and ok) If all goes well I'll take it to Three Oaks and Hammer it up on a nice K. Did'nt I read a post awhile back that your were selling off alot of your Rocketry stuff and going to Grad school?

my space pic.jpg

Hey Jim,

I do remember you! I just didn't remember your name. Sorry about that. You definitely have a heck of a rocket there. I wish I had opted for either glassed fins or up-graded to G-10 for my fins on FLEMI. That’s definitely a needed upgrade for this style of a rocket. I did indeed sell off a fair amount of my stuff. I still have FLEMI and my newer mach buster Bat Out of Hell V. 2.0. Oh and I still have the altimeter in case I want to fly occasionally. Grad school is slowly approaching. Should be starting this Winter at Wayne State for a MBA. I have to take the GMAT still but I don’t suspect that will to tough. You going to be at the Team-1 launch this Sunday in Manchester? I will be attending but probably not flying and there is supposed to be something big flying. Not sure exactly what but should be fun.

Clear Skies,
Jason

I figured you just did'nt know me by name. I have been meaning to check out Team 1. I may show up to take some photos. I'm sure alot of JMRC members will be there. I've been a member of JMRC for about a year now. Been into HP for two. Model rockets before that. I got my level one on a scratch build (Photo on the site) I have a LOC Phoenix Kit and a Big nuke Kit I could of built for my level two attempt. But when I seen your Flemi ,I decided to to copy yours. It's not exactly like yours but close. I checked it out at MIS when you were there. And when I seen photos of your flights at Team 1 and Three Oaks I thought It was super cool. Do you still have your spool rocket? And wer'nt you building something with carbon fiber last time I saw you at Commonwealth?.

You couldn't have asked for any more beautiful weather for your flight. :cheers:

Back