My Level 2 Plan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Campbell

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just returned tp HPR after a 21 year hiatus. I recertified Level 1 at Turkey & GRITS and had a lot of fun at the launch. Now, I am eyeing Level 2. I plan on making the attempt at the February SEARS launch. My plan is as follows:

1. STUDY! There is nothing worse than driving to a launch and flunking the written exam.

2. For a rocket, I have an Apogee/Madcow Torrent new in the bag. Assuming I pass the written exam, I plan to fly it on an Aerotech J350. I plan to use altimeter deployment with motor back-up on the main and a Jolly Logic Chute Release to limit the drift.

I purchase a Chute Release from Chris Short at Turkey & Grits, but decided to wait on using it until I had more time to read and understand the instructions.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I was previously certified Level 2.

Take your test before flight day. Makes it a much more relaxing day. I would call your examiner and see if you can take it beforehand. Also agree on the chute release. One less failure point.

Take your test before flight day. Makes it a much more relaxing day. I would call your examiner and see if you can take it beforehand.

+1 on this. I just took my test (after some serious test anxiety)....and now the flight is only slightly more pressure than any normal flight day!

I'd suggest you build the rocket and test fly at least once prior to the test launch to both be able to "work out potential kinks" and gain more confidence, particularly if this would be the first flight with the chute release. I also did my L2 exam prior to the test flight.

Good luck!
Fred,L2
ICBM,S.C.
KG4YGP

I did my L2 with the Madcow Torrent on a J350 as well. Flew great on it to 3600 ft. Although not necessary, I did use dual deploy though. The J350 put it to apogee at almost exactly 14 s. This complicates things a little if you plan to use altimeter deploy with motor backup as they may fire simultaneously. I'm not actually sure if that is a problem or not as the odds of firing simultaneous vs time required to separate are probably pretty small. Your situation may be different than mine though as I built things pretty heavy.
1638982232502.png
The Torrent went together great. However, I believe that the 36" main that comes with it is too small. Also, the 10' long main shock cord is a little on the short side.

Regarding the Jolly Logic Chute Release, my son did his L2 cert flight at the same time using motor deploy only with the Chute Release on similar size/weight rocket. It worked flawlessly. After all the testing I did on my dual deploy, I felt a bit silly when I saw how simple the Chute Release was. Just make sure to test it and tether it to the shock cord.

Building up to a J350 may also be a good idea. That rocket flies well on an H250 and up.

Last edited:
good idea, use the altimeter with motor backup. You may or may not get the results Andrew got, so better safe then sorry.
I'm not a J-L fan for high power. seen way too many problems as the LCO at METRA.
If you're going to do that, practice and make sure that you figured out how to use it with that rocket and that parachute. Fly a practice flight on something else and repack the chute the same way.

Thank you for the great suggestions, especially taking the exam prior to the cert flight. I also planned to fly the chute release on my Zephyr (Level 1 rocket) to make sure I know how to set it up properly.

And, I will fly my Torrent a couple of times before the big flight. Apogee's website says the Torrent will reach almost 3,000 feet on a J350 and recommends a 10 second delay. I will check the Apogee figures against actuals in H and I motors and adjust accordingly.

Thank you for the great suggestions, especially taking the exam prior to the cert flight. I also planned to fly the chute release on my Zephyr (Level 1 rocket) to make sure I know how to set it up properly.

And, I will fly my Torrent a couple of times before the big flight. Apogee's website says the Torrent will reach almost 3,000 feet on a J350 and recommends a 10 second delay. I will check the Apogee figures against actuals in H and I motors and adjust accordingly.

Open Rocket sim is your friend.

No offense to Apogee, but I wouldn't trust their numbers. You can download the rockSim model, override the mass and CG for your specific rocket, and simulate in either OpenRocket or RockSim. My higher power launches (I's and J's) have been within a few percent from simulation both in altitude and time to apogee. I get a little more deviation on underpowered motors like H's.

I would make a checklist to ensure you hit all your preflight steps. I did this for my L2 and L3 and feel it is invaluable.

I did my L2 on an SBR Thor with a AT J350W (awesome motor BTW).
I overkilled the build by a lot, fully glassed with G10 fins. But I built it with an L1000 (or L1090) in mind. Next launch...
That being said, don't do what I did for your L2. Don't finish the rocket build the day before the launch. The enamel paint was still curing. I plan on giving myself a lot more time for my L3.
I did make a checklist though! And then left it in the RV...

In regards to the jolly rancher, test it a few times with your parachute before putting it in your rocket. Do the shake test, make sure it stays put. Do a deployment test, make sure it releases quickly, fully, and reliably. And don't forget to turn it on for your flight. I've used my JLCR quite a few times and it's totally worth the cost. Dual deploy without the headache.

Back