My *LEAST* Favorite Part Of This Hobby (other than cost)...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanding doesnt bother me. I actually like creating the perfect fillets, as well as tip to tip blending. I also dont do alot of cardboard tube rockets. Most everything I do is composite. That helps some. Ive painted cars and more over the years. I enjoy painting as well. The end results always are rewarding. BUT currently my least favorite thing.... Here in Colorado were in a drought for the year. we have had lots of bad fires buring acres. So I hate drought and fire bans that last almost a year and Covid restrictions keeping us from being able to gather and lanch. combined So far for the year our club has not had a single launch due to the combination of both. Knowing you have a 35k waiver at your disposal with mnimum diameter projects to fly on long burn M motors...... Heck, just getting a chance to fly 1000 ft would be nice right now.

I hate painting.

I don't like sanding either, but at least sanded particles don't release VOCs into the air even after you're done sanding.

Y'all are a bunch of weenies! Sanding can be done while sitting on the comfy couch. What I hate is "shovel recovery" when only the fins are showing and it's 100+ out. Tempted to leave it and water occasionally - maybe it will take root and grow...
Fortunately(?) that seldom happens. It takes a stout airframe to drill for oil. Mine are usually cardboard (which crumples) or phenolic (which shatters).

After reading all the comments here I still say drama is the worst. Nothing quite like a bunch of grown adults acting like petulant teens.

Coming in a close second are the "We should" volunteers. These are the volunteers that come to club leadership and say things like, "We should do X" where X is equal to a task the volunteer thinks leadership ought to do but yet said volunteer will do NOTHING to make X happen and then get offended when leadership doesn't act on X with enthusiasm and vigor. Don't be a "We should" volunteer.

After reading all the comments here I still say drama is the worst. Nothing quite like a bunch of grown adults acting like petulant teens.

Coming in a close second are the "We should" volunteers. These are the volunteers that come to club leadership and say things like, "We should do X" where X is equal to a task the volunteer thinks leadership ought to do but yet said volunteer will do NOTHING to make X happen and then get offended when leadership doesn't act on X with enthusiasm and vigor. Don't be a "We should" volunteer.
Dave, We Should talk about this... ;)
smf.JPG

The worst thing by far for me is loosing 125g launch sites in urbanized areas. Club Model rocketry was born on a site now covered by Bandimere Speedway. The club lauch site moved across the highway to Bear Creek Park but is no more because model rocketry is unsuitable and problematic for modern, hip open spaces.

The thing that I find most annoying about this hobby is watching the weather forecast for days and picking a day with calm winds predicted, only to drive all the way to the launch site and have it be breezy.

The worst thing by far for me is loosing 125g launch sites in urbanized areas. Club Model rocketry was born on a site now covered by Bandimere Speedway. The club lauch site moved across the highway to Bear Creek Park but is no more because model rocketry is unsuitable and problematic for modern, hip open spaces.
Blew me away when I moved to Denver and found that there's nowhere in the city or nearby to launch. So much open space in this area, but apparently rockets are more dangerous than shooting firearms, or a bigger fire danger than flying r/c aircraft, both of which are done lawfully in our parks and open spaces. But of course we also cause overcrowding, as you can tell by the fact that Bear Creek lake is now so quiet without the rocketeers :rolleyes:

That said, the thing I like least in this hobby is building and finishing an awesome rocket and then watching it fail spectacularly and publicly at a club launch because I did something stupid. Turns out that over-aggressive igniter attachment + too short launch rod = bad, bad launch. Repairs are underway, currently painting and sanding ;)

I used to really hate cutting fins...

I started almost exclusively scratch building and switched to 1.5-2mm plywood instead of balsa for builds. Although the plywood is much stronger and has a much cleaner finish, it was pretty hard to cut (especially if a rocket required curved or intricate shaped fins). I would also get super annoyed if fins did not turn out the same size etc... or if the knife slipped and gouged into a fin (or my hand).

Now that I bought a CNC I no longer worry much about this (although the CNC is noisy, makes lots of sawdust, etc... and I need to pull it out of storage and setup somewhere, worry about hitting fasteners, needed to learn new software, etc...).

Now that I bought a CNC I no longer worry much about this (although the CNC is noisy, makes lots of sawdust, etc... and I need to pull it out of storage and setup somewhere, worry about hitting fasteners, needed to learn new software, etc...).

Youā€™re all set! Just buy and assemble a proper dust extraction system. Ooh, but then you need a portable storage system for the dust collector. And it sure would be nice to have the canister out of sight, so letā€™s buy a bunch of hoses and adapters and whatnot to solve that. But then we also have to deal with filtration. Next thing you know, your favorite hobby is dust collection (but you call it ā€œwoodworkingā€). Youā€™ll see a fin on the ground and think for hours about what you use it to shim, or what jig you create. Soon rocketry is but a faint memory.

Sorry, you gave me a temporary woodworkerā€™s PTSD attack. Carry on.

To echo others; finding launch sites.
Same issue here in north Alabama (Huntsville area). I love building and flying, but the only viable launch site in this area can only be flown off of during non-growing months; it's a farm, so flying season begins around September and goes through no later than early April. Since the flying is governed by the local club, we are limited to one launch per month on the "official" launch day. If you miss it due to weather, illness, or other family priorities, you just have to wait another month. During what I would consider "prime" flying season, there is no flying!

More than once this has caused me to seriously consider selling out of this hobby and going back to something I can do year round, and at my own leisure... building and flying R/C airplanes; something I've been doing since 1976!

The worst thing... Anticipation of your launch for months only to have both weekends before and after the scheduled launch have perfect weather, but NOOOOOO the actual launch is blazing hot, the field is muddy from the sudden rain two days ago, or it's still raining and the launch gets scrubbed....DOH! And THEEEENNNNNNN they got corn and soybeans planted where there used to be sod....

Sanding and paint. Sanding is a literal physical pain and painting is a nightmare in Arkansas humidity. Just three steps to the door and the rattle can paint STILL hazes over. Working with airbrush paint now, but they are SO fragile.

Back