My *LEAST* Favorite Part Of This Hobby (other than cost)...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reading some of the complaints here makes me think a lot of you have it pretty freaking good. I mean, if the worst part of the hobby is sanding that sorta says it all...

after some thought, the only part of this hobby that dissuades me from continuing a project is masking. i have a cosmic interceptor that i botched the paint on, and it took me a looong freaking time to mask those enormous fins the first time. been sitting in a corner for years. no 'hate', just annoyance.

1) People who just want a bigger boom. The hobby seems to attract pryo-maniacs like flies to a fruit salad.
2) Standing in line at a launch
3) Standing in line at a launch
4) Standing in line at a launch
100) Standing in line at a launch
:D

after some thought, the only part of this hobby that dissuades me from continuing a project is masking. i have a cosmic interceptor that i botched the paint on, and it took me a looong freaking time to mask those enormous fins the first time. been sitting in a corner for years. no 'hate', just annoyance.

Just a couple of comments in case you've not stumbled across them in the past:

1: After shooting the base coat and letting it dry long enough, consider a clear coat. That way, if things bleed/go wrong on the next coat, you may be able to clean it off without starting from scratch.

2: Whenever using masking tape, quality of the tape is key. Fine Line tape is great for a good edge, but blue stuff that you use when painting baseboards is not something I use when painting anything nice. I don't have a specific favorite, but if a body shop/paint supply house uses it, it is probably good. If you get it at a big box store, not as sure.

3: After putting the masking in place, shoot another clear coat on the tape edges. That helps seal the edges of the tape so that color doesn't creep under as much. Not a 100% perfect solution, but a solid 95%, IMO.

4: For each layer of paint, repeat 1 & 3, IMO.

5: After complete, topcoat with clear.

I choose to use spray can primer and sometimes spray can base coat, but I use latex (i.e. house paint thinned and sprayed with an airbrush or HVLP gun) for all subsequent colors. I use lacquer or enamel clear coats, but since latex is water based, if I screw up, I can wash the paint off with some effort and not ruin the previous coat that was sealed with lacquer or enamel. The finish won't be shiny automotive grade, but with a final topcoat, a solid satin/almost glossy is easy without sanding and polishing. I imagine if you put a handful of clear on and did a polish it might look great, but I've never tried as I kind of like the satin finish.

Hope any of the above is helpful to someone.

Sandy.

Just a couple of comments in case you've not stumbled across them in the past...

just wanted to say thanks. i never thought of applying clear as a protective measure during the build, only as a finish. this opens a whole new world for me!!! applying your methodology to a semroc laser x i'm building. has a paper transition (always a joy) so i'm spraying clear, then filling with a compound, and i just put another coat of clear on top of that sanded filler. looks pretty good so far. thanks again, Sandy! you rock out loud!

sorry to spam this thread, but it just occurred to me what i do really hate about model rocketry... and that's losing rocs; to trees, roofs, water, whatever. I HATE losing rockets.

I don't like sanding either. These days I've been papering my fins which reduces the amount of sanding but it still adds work and they don't come out perfect. I don't require my rockets to have perfect paint jobs so that makes it a bit easier- rockets that get carried around to launches, launched and recovered end up with scratches and dings and whatever so they don't have to start out perfect.

This GD re-certification process from the TRA, and now since they now prohibit you from getting the Level 1 & 2 on the same day, 100% total Horse manure.:(:mad:🤬:barf::facepalm:👎

Today I realized it’s not the sanding I mInd so much. It’s the perceived progress. During the build you can see progress as you build. Sanding and preping for paint, same step over and over again with little to see that you are progressing.
I just put the final coat of primer on the nose cone and upper portion of my Lance Beta. This after two weeks of sanding, filling, sanding and touch ups here and there. I deemed it ready for top coat. Now on to the base. Long times , little progress. That’s what I dislike.

Today I realized it’s not the sanding I mInd so much. It’s the perceived progress. During the build you can see progress as you build. Sanding and preping for paint, same step over and over again with little to see that you are progressing.
I just put the final coat of primer on the nose cone and upper portion of my Lance Beta. This after two weeks of sanding, filling, sanding and touch ups here and there. I deemed it ready for top coat. Now on to the base. Long times , little progress. That’s what I dislik
Totally agree!! That's exactly why my first fiberglass build is all together but still "naked and afraid"

From this forum that I love, the inability to get a straight answer without having to go thru pages and pages of judgement, tangents, and sidetracks

what i do really hate about model rocketry... and that's losing rocs; to trees, roofs, water, whatever. I HATE losing rockets.

That brings to mind ...

Remember when your school teacher went, "Remember, spelling counts!"
And you went, "Pffft! Yeah, sure."

Well ...

Remember ...

Loosing rockets is the outcome you desire.

Losing rockets is not the outcome you desire.

This GD re-certification process from the TRA, and now since they now prohibit you from getting the Level 1 & 2 on the same day, 100% total Horse manure.:(:mad:🤬:barf::facepalm:👎

I don't think this is correct; it is neither proper behavior, nor in my understanding, a correct proceedure within Tripoli guidelines. I spoke with my Prefect, and he would have no problem with someone certifying L1 and L2 in the same day.

I don't think this is correct; it is neither proper behavior, nor in my understanding, a correct proceedure within Tripoli guidelines. I spoke with my Prefect, and he would have no problem with someone certifying L1 and L2 in the same day.
Steve Shannon just replied in the other thread where I was bitching about it and saying that it's not true, so there was false information that had gotten passed down somewhere. But at any rate it still ruined the entire weekend....the whole entire purpose was to go down and get the level two finally after 10 years only to be told that there was a rule prohibiting doing this. That made me want to get out of the hobby forever

Steve Shannon just replied in the other thread where I was bitching about it and saying that it's not true, so there was false information that had gotten passed down somewhere. But at any rate it still ruined the entire weekend....the whole entire purpose was to go down and get the level two finally after 10 years only to be told that there was a rule prohibiting doing this. That made me want to get out of the hobby forever
Don't leave - you were misinformed.

But if you do, I'll buy that beautiful rocket from you! Show these guys a picture

Don't leave - you were misinformed.

But if you do, I'll buy that beautiful rocket from you! Show these guys a picture
Thanks
8yWYiB6.jpg

Confusing the rules is a bit like losing a rocket: no need to rage, it’s just a learning experience. Try again some other day and either succeed or fail more knowledgeably.

Confusing the rules is a bit like losing a rocket: no need to rage, it’s just a learning experience. Try again some other day and either succeed or fail more knowledgeably.
Okay we have that all straightened out now, so that shouldn't be a problem in the future. You just have to put up with me as I have gotten quite cantankerous in my old age. With the limited years in this life, I get quite impatient as time is of the essence for me. Any delays and doing things over again has become my Pet Peeve.

I truly love the whole experience of rocketry from yes, even sanding to fixing mistakes to the challenge of repairing after a crash to going to launches....all of it.

What really ruins or hampers the experience on all levels, is rocket snobbery. I guess every group has a gradient and we are all fallible humans. everyone has their own shortcomings of which I am most guilty of having many.

I have seen it (rocket snobbery) on the forums and on the flight line. Be kind to the newbie or the folks that don't get it sometimes. We all enjoy the hobby in or own special way.

Don't get me wrong, it is an exception rather than the rule. But I have both seen it and experienced it. Lord forgive me if I have ever been the one who dished it out to somebody. If I have, I am truly sorry.

Please remember, the newbie in any situation who may ask "stupid questions" was you and me at one point. They are the future of the hobby.

Back