My *LEAST* Favorite Part Of This Hobby (other than cost)...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My least favorite part of the build process is definitely the sanding. I don’t think anyone enjoys that.

My least favorite part of a launch is ignition failures, especially if it is a busy club launch. It can sometimes cost you an hour of the day and bump a flight off your list for the launch.

Yup, I'm down with that. I hate sanding fins, filling and sanding spirals, sanding between coats. Yeah, that shirt really sums it up.

I thought you were going to say decals. I dread them :(

I actually don't mind sanding too much. I like profiling fins to give them just the right shape. The only time I mind sanding is when a coat of paint needs to be sanded off

-Bob

My least favorite part of the build process is definitely the sanding. I don’t think anyone enjoys that.

I don't mind doing a little. But with bigger fins, it can be very time consumming. Still not done the 4 fins on a Loc Terrier Booster I started last summer.

Sharing something and having 12 people tell me "You can't do that", that is pretty annoying

here?! curious.. do you have an example? (I see a lot of stupid questions in FB groups, and just as many stupid answers that' I've pretty much given up on responding in those groups.)

Other than painting and long drives to go to launches (as a result I have lots of rockets built that aren't finished and I haven't been to a launch in a while), none of my adult kids share my interest. That means my kit collecting and building is a solo activity. I'm long divorced, raised my kids on my own and currently my eldest adult daughter and 9 year old granddaughter live with me (I have 2 other adult kids too) and while my granddaughter built an Alpha III recently, mainly my daughter complains that I have too many rockets and when I paint in my garage it stinks and makes a mess. It would be nice to have someone who had an interest in what I am doing and I could talk to about it.

I don't mind sanding, I kinda like it actually.. Knowing something is coming into shape, becoming smooth & blended by your hand.. running your hand / fingers over it, feeling for it softness , slight imperfections & rubbing them out, etc..

Applying Vinyl decals & wraps is my worst.

With you on this one. Besides scale kits where absolutely necessary I avoid them entirely.
Plus I find sanding cathartic

Back