My latest Deuce

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Well, sort of..... :cool:

I wanted to make a 24mm Deuce. So I got to messing with the upscale factor, and it almost perfectly upscales to a BT70 with 3.75" engine tubes. Heck, even the cutout wrap works nearly perfect if photocopied with this upscale (2.217 / 1.637) So, I photocopied the engine mount stock at this upscale, made the mounts out of 1/8" balsa soaked in CA and coated heavily in 25 min epoxy, and went to building.

Then I went rummaging through the parts box and decal stash to see what I had for a BT70. I had all the stuff to nicely upscale my first Deuce to a 2 x 24mm E engine version.

Fresh off the decal finishing is my new

Here's a side view. Sandman made the nose cone and Tango Papa made the decals.

Check out the "business end." I had one extra bat decal to give it a nice finishing touch. ;)

And here's my (still) growing Goblin family.

From left to right: Bt70 based 2 x 24mm D engine powered upscale, 2 x 24mm E engine powered DeucEE's Goblin, BT60 based 2 x 18mm powered Deuce's Goblin, and Goblin clone.

although there is something vaguely heretical about seeing an "Estes" decal on a FlisKits design

I think that was an awesome idea to add the deuces canted twin engines to a goblin! Man that thing looks great. Actually all of them look great! I'm working on a der red max clone and would not mind making a goblin.

How about a der red max with a 3 engine cluster like a Tres? It would work out well since the max has three fins. It would definitely look wicked with a motor between each fin and the evil decals from Tango Papa.

Originally posted by Rob Fisher
How about a der red max with a 3 engine cluster like a Tres? It would work out well since the max has three fins. It would definitely look wicked with a motor between each fin and the evil decals from Tango Papa.

SSSHHH! Don't give away the secrets of my rocket lab!

Wow! Very nice Deuce.... err.... Goblin... :confused: not sure what to call it ;).

I think the marrage of the Tres and Der Red Max is a awesome idea :D

Was the original Goblin D powered with streamer recovery?

Yes. It's based on a 9" long BT55 with a D engine mount and the original had streamer recovery. I've launched a couple previous versions and either broke off or maimed fins on both using a streamer. On the incarnation of the clone in the last pic above, I have a 12" chute installed. My flying field is large enough that I've had 3 launches with three perfect recoveries well within the landing zone with the chute. And no damage to speak of.

I find it hard to believe that this rocket used streamer recovery while the der red max used an 18 chute! I think that theyre both about the same size.

I find it hard to believe that this rocket used streamer recovery while the der red max used an 18 chute! I think that theyre both about the same size.

Close....

The body tube on the Goblin is 9" long, the Red Max tube is 8.5".

The diameter of the Red Max is 0.312" larger than the Goblin (BT60 vs BT55)

The Nose cone on the Goblin is 5" long, the Red Max cone is 6.75" long.

The fins on the Red Max are substantially bigger than those on the Goblin.

I think the main reason for the recovery difference is based on the "concept" or "feel" of the rockets, rather than need. The Red Max, in standard format with an 18mm motor mount, doesn't fly very high (600' ish) - so an 18" chute isn't going to send it drifting into the next county. The Goblin, on the other hand, is touted as a "highly spirited rocket" that will acheive nearly 1600' altitudes on a D12-7 (according to the catalog.) My experience is more like 1200' or so. Anyway, the streamer was to improve your chances of recovery so it doesn't drift into the next county.

Red Max - slow takeoffs, relatively low flights, nice gentle recovery, fun rocket.

Goblin - high flying performance freak needing a streamer to bring it back quickly so you don't lose it.

As I stated in a post above, however, the 12" chute is a great improvement over the streamer if you don't want your Goblin to get damaged.

nice looking rocket, but i gotta agree... ...surprised the thing didn't burst into flames when you put the Estes logo on there... LOL

Man, those Goblins look sweet!
I want to raid my mean machine kit for parts and build a BT60 upscale:)

Back