My L1: Executioner-H

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shockwaveriderz

Reaction score
Here are some pics of the initial construction of a my L1 rocket which is a modified estes Executioner....

This rocket is designed to fly on E-H motors....

This image shows the bottom body tube with the Glassine sanded off. I'm not using Fiberglass cloth, only epoxy finishing resin. The upper body tube is shown with the glassine still on for reference

This image shows the plywood fins being pre fitted through the pre-cut slots.... The bottom CR has not been fitted here so you can see a 3rd CR that I placed midway to reinforce the TTW fins... It also shows the 29mm main motor tube that I use as a stuffer tube...

This pic shows the component parts to the top baffle/coupler....shown are the 1/8" (2)plywood bulkhead blanks, the coupler tube and the coupler tube bottom ply CR... The insides of this coupler is coated with epoxy to strength and fire proof it some...

This pic shows me pre-fitting the ply fins with the 3 ply CR ... Notice I sanded off the slight tab that was orginally on these fins so the fin tab will butt up directly against the 29mm motor stuffer tube....I also slotted the fins for the center Cr to reinforce the fins...

This pic shows the top of the 29mm motor stuffer tube....the coupler is glued around this ..You can see the holes drilled into the 29mm tube. Before the holes were drilled, I took a sprite aluminum can and coated the inside of the upper 3" of the 29mm tube with epoxy and then glued in the aluminum can layer for heat resistance and strength...I then applied epoxy on the outside and then finally drilled the holes

This pic shows the top baffle assembly holes...this is 2 1/8" pieces of plywood laminated together and then epoxied into the coupler..

this pic shows the bottom part of the rocket with the baffle assembly done, and the 3 fins attached awaiting filleting.....

did you make the slotted CR in the middle of your fin mount, or did you buy it somewhere?

powder:
actually I slotted the fin itself...the CR just fits in the slot cut into the fin for additional support.

very cool man that thing looks tough. I would recomend some fiberglass I am not sure resin alone will add much strength but that is my thought

Your baffle looks like the top of a salt or pepper dispenser. :p Nice rocket though!

SWEET!!
High powered Estes, you gotta love it:D
very nice work shock

thanks gerbs.....the only reason I am trying for my L1 with a model rocket is due to costs considerations....I don't have the funds like these other guys in here do....plus I was and am curious to see if I could mod a model rocket to be a HPR....we shall see..... I hope to do my L1 on either a H128 or H238.....

she sims to 1km at mach .924 ........

I also notice you are now a NAR member Congrats!.... How are your combat trained ninja gerbils doing these days?

Hey Shockie just wondering if you finished the executioner and have flown it yet, if so what did you fly it on and how did it do?
I just modified mine about the same way you did and then I found this thread.

Frodo

Not Yet Frodo......been sidetracked with other things.......
As soon as I do I will post back here....

Latest posts

Back