My journey with the E.A.T. Lambda Shuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase

Reaction score
I started my shuttle (I got #18) a few nights ago. I have been building it just as it is described in the directions.

I currently have the body nearly completed. Just missing the lower wings, back cover and lower wing supports. I must say that Nick has done a great job on the directions!

While I was waiting for the canopy to dry and the epoxy to harden on the shock cord, I started the nose cone. Read the directions carefully. Nick wasn't kidding when he said that was the most difficult part! Cutting that thin nose cone was tricky.

I also found out that my canopy isn't quite as lined up as it should have been. We'll see how that affects the nose cone. I may have to do some doctoring on it.

All in all, this kit has been a lot of fun so far. Not sure if I'm gonna be able to fly it this weekend or not, but can't wait to get it in the air!

I'll get some pics posted soon. :D

Jason

How DARE you post a progreess report on this rocket without a single picture??? :kill:

;)

She is looking good. Keep up the good work. I hope to see her flying the end of this month at Whitakers....

Didn't you buy one Phil? I know Ken did. So did Eugene. They need to get done too so we can have a drag race. :D

Yep :D I bought 2. And I plan to have her ready by Whitakers just so I can see your shuttle lose...... :D

Phil, the only way I see your shuttle beating my shuttle is if you do another rocket god sacrifice and try to stick an AT 18mm RMS reload into it. ;)

Then again, I shouldn't have given you the idea :p

-bad german accent- Curses! You know my plan. Now I must kill you! -end bad german accent- :D

It's getting close! I added the lower wings and supports today along with getting the rest of the nose cone walls added on.

For those that are building or planning to build, let me tell ya, the nose cone sides are a BEAR! Cut the balsa very very carefully!

I've got a lot of filling and sanding to do on mine to make it decent looking.

Anyway, here's the updated pics!

Jason

Ok. I was assembling the parachute that Nick provided with this kit and I'm getting really, really curious as to how he folded this 18" chute to fit in such a teeny tiny bay. about the only way I can see is to fold the chute like normal, but then fold it over about 4 different times.

Looking at it this way, I'm a little nervous about it opening up fully.

Can't wait for Nick to get back from NYPower to fill me in. :D

BTW, construction is completed except for adding the BBs and epoxy in the nose. :D:D

Originally posted by Jase
Didn't you buy one Phil? I know Ken did. So did Eugene. They need to get done too so we can have a drag race. :D

Hey hey now...I have so many other projects on my plate! Oh the humanity...if I only had more time!

BTW, if you haven't gotten a chance, cruise over to the scratch forum and check out the update I made to the Gyroc thread.

If (a big if here) I get finished with the Patriot, Gyroc, and upscale Mustang, I might try and get the Lambda together. I just don't want to rush it.

Ah, the impetuous nature of youth....

Eugene, I can tell you with certainty that I will NOT have my Lambda Shuttle ready for Whitakers at the end of this month. Like you, I have several projects in front of it, including what should be a *simple* staging problem with my LongShot that is really irritating me, what to do about the Mirage that crashed on its' second flight at Whitakers, and a third rocket that I've been working on in the background that I want to finish. Not to mention that the month of July is "vacation month" for the Parker family. Just got back from the 4th blowout at the lake house, and we are going to the beach the week of the 13th through the 20th.

Sooooo.... no Lambda shuttle for a while. Like you, I don't want to rush it. When I build that kit, I intend to take my time and enjoy it.

Not to mention the fact that work sucks more than usual right now. I had dinner with one of my managers last night, and he told me that while I was out of town, Greensboro had a bad thunderstorm, and lightning struck the downtown power grid, sent a charge so heavy down the lines that it literally blew our UPS system to bits, including the part that cuts everything over to our emergency generator during a power outage. So our entire data center, over 100 machines, (6 AS/400s, 30 RS/6000s, over 100 Intel based servers) went down hard. About the worst thing that can happen to a data center. Gee, I can't wait to go back to work on Monday.....

But... on the brighter side... I will definitely enjoy watching Jason fly his Lambda at Whitakers - :D :D

And probably Phil too, who is independently wealthy and now spends his days building rockets and playing paintball, and his nights playing Mage Knight... ;)

The epoxy in the nose weight is almost completely hardened and the CyA on the launch lug is nearly dry as well.

A couple of small fillets on the launch lug, some final sanding and she's ready for paint!

Nick, I gotta hand it to you. This was one of the most fun building kits I've done. It had a lot of challenge, a couple of times requiring to cut the glue and re-attach.

Phil, you better get your jets going on yours so we can race em at Whitakers. :D

Now to decide on paint..... ;)

Excuse the newbie question but could someone please define a drag race for me?

I've tried to research it but havn't got a proper definition, all I've worked out is that its two or more rockets launching simultaneously in some sort of a race.

Mike...You got it!!!

that is EXACTLY what a drag race is...two or more rockets, usually them same kit...all racing off the pad against eachother to see who lights first and leads. It can be pretty exciting with three or more rockets, but I have also seen it with LARGE "M" class rockets too.

Each model is loaded with the same motor, placed on a pad, hooked up and the race is on...

Carl

You can also have a combined score of:

1st off pad
Highest
Last (or first) to touchdown

- Nick

Here's a link to John Coker's 'Swarm' - 25 Mosquito-like things with lights in their snouts.The Swarm

I've heard of bigger drag races, but have no links to them.

At the ECOF (Eat Cheese Or Fly, this IS Wisconsin, after all) launch this weekend (weather permitting), they're planning a mosquito swarm, putting up as many mosquitos as possible simultaneously.

They are also having a "drag drag race" where club members' significant others are encouraged to build a kit of whatever design they like and have a mass launch. Awards are being handed out to the woman who flies the most "manly-man" rocket and the guy who flies the most "girly-girl" rocket.

A third event is a spot landing event of sorts, with an inflatable swimming pool near the pads. First person to land a rocket in the pool wins a Big Bertha. Other prizes for near misses.

Prizes generally consist of a pound of your favorite (least favorite?) flavor of cheese.

Then there is a 'drag' race. Create the rocket that flies the lowest and hits the ground last. The ultimate in 'drag' racing.

:)

Not to be confused with a "drag" race: Whose rocket can change from men's clothes to women's clothes fastest.

:D

Nathan

Well all, I have now completed my Lambda Shuttle.

I put a second coat of paint on her yesterday and applied the decals tonight.

Since I forgot the digital camera at work, you'll all have to suffer till tomorrow for pics. :evil grin: ;)

Nick, I'll be forwarding you a couple of pics too for my EMRR review.

And now, ladies and gents, here is my completed Lambda Shuttle!

I put a clear coat on her at lunchtime today to help protect the decals.

This was one fun rocket to build. I have really enjoyed it. It's only flown once, and I can't wait to fly her again.

Thanks Nick!!!

Jase - not bad... not bad at all. You did OK for a High Point redneck.

Actually, it was probably just the high quality of the kit that carried the day. :D

Okay, now is the challenge....

Get that rocket in a Launch picture!

Who will be the first!

BTW, a guy in Mass is building this from the Plans Pak and he didn't use a NC for the inner part of the cock-pit. He used an 18mm coupler which cut very easily!

Nick

I'm pretty sure that it is already in a launch picture. Check the posts for our last Whitakers launch, and I'm pretty sure you'll find a launch pic of Jase's Lambda somewhere in the various launch pics. I'm also pretty sure that Eugene may even have an mpeg video of the launch posted with his other videos.

Back