*My* FlisKits FarScape build!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Under much pressure applied by brianc to build a FlisKits FarScape I finally decided I would get crackin'. It was next on my LPR build bench. So, in the works is a kit #30 being built. Brian, you do know this means we'll be drag racing at the next FarScape encounter? ;)

First pic is the parts layout. I still think the Nomad has all FlisKits kits beat in terms of parts. (You can see my build pictures of the Nomad <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4608&highlight=Nomad">here</a> and also some neat little tips 'n hints.)

Gotta love a pile-o-parts!

One of the earlier steps in the build is to assemble the motor mount and flush mount the aft centering ring for that smooth "Tulanko Tail" look. I noticed the rings are a bit loose in the body tube. They were loose enough to warrant a small 1/8" wrap of masking tape. Nothing too serious here. Once the glue dries it'll be rock solid.

Cutting out the curved "ducts" in the FarScape can be challenging to the beginner modeler. I've built a few Deuces in my time (FOUR 18mm versions!, a 24mm and 29mm upscale!) which we all know requires some steady cutting for the canted motor mount fitment. The FarScape body tube is easily cut with the assistance of a spent motor casing. (Thanks for the suggestion brianc!)

Next came the plugs and bulkheads. Both of these steps were a little intimidating only because they required some modifying or uncommon usages of materials to achieve a component. For instance, the ducting "plugs" were centering rings glued to discs. These discs are slightly oversized requiring trimming to fit in the BT50s. A little sandpaper and voila - a perfect fit. (The instructions say to cut off the excess.)

The actual curved bulkheads that are visible on the exterior of the rocket were quite enjoyable to make. The templates are oversized slightly so that the curved end ducts are covered completely. (I initially thought these were what plugged the ends of the tubes.) Once the glue dries, I'll sand away the excess for a smooth edge.

After a nice session of cutting venting ducts, end ducts, templates, and trimming plugs and balsa parts, I was left with a nice little pile of scrap parts. That's all for now. It's the "a.m." hours right now and I won't be getting much sleep! Ah well. We'll do it again tomorrow!

Hmm...the earlier bulkhead picture didn't take. Let's try that again.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Hmm...the earlier bulkhead picture didn't take. Let's try that again.

Do you need to "soak" those bulkheads with thin CA? I would think that might add a little strength. Looks cool so far...keep posting!

With the bulkheads cut correctly (as Eugenio did) with the grain running across like that, the balsa bulkhead plate curves quite naturally into the curve of the modified body tube. You will be surprised at how strong this is when complete.

Eugenio, a great job so far! Since everything there seems to look like *mine* ( :) ), I assume that the instructions are clear and the patterns working well??

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Eugenio, a great job so far! Since everything there seems to look like *mine* ( :) ), I assume that the instructions are clear and the patterns working well??

jim

Thanks Jim. The instructions are written well and the diagrams are placed appropriately. I typically judge a diagram's usefulness in two ways: 1, if I can build by pictures only, they are great. 2, If they provide clarification to an instruction in the build process, they are necessary and used correctly. Sometimes I see certain vendor kits include a picture of the build process that just isn't necessary. All in all everything looks good. The *only* typo or misusage of a word is the contraction "you're" on the first page of the instruction. It should say "your" as to imply ownership. (i.e. - "Your" enjoyment of this kit....not, "you're" enjoyment of this kit.) As with most typos, I am sure it was accidental insertion. I don't have the literature with me so I can't quote it directly, but it's the first I've found so far.

This is a fun build!

Originally posted by eugenefl
Brian, you do know this means we'll be drag racing at the next FarScape encounter? ;)

heh-heh-heh. Bring it on HERC-boy! :)

EDIT: You're goin' down buddy! :p (Eugene)

Time to pick up this project again. Yesterday I trimmed of the excess balsa overlap from the duct end covers/trim. The finishing touch was some rounded edge sanding.

Here's a macro shot of the trim being cut away.

EDIT: Notice how some of the best workshops are in the living room and in front of the TV! :D

Satisfied with the ends shaped and installed, I proceeded to join the two tubes at the duct cutout that allows the ejection gases to pass through. I found it easiest to work on a flat countertop. I think the first yellow glue fillet will suffice, but if any air pockets show up a 2nd layer will be added.

From this angle you can better see the joint and balsa edges of the duct ends.

I finished this morning's work by cutting the fin templates, fins from finstock, and sanding all edges smooth.

Time for breakfast. It's a nice beach day. Afterwards I can relax and continue working on the FarScape.

Wow man its looking good Im gonna have to talk the Mrs into letting me get one

Great build pix. I might just hafta get me one of these!

Do the instructions provide any, well, instructions or recommendations to fill the 1/32" balsa covers with anything?

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
Great build pix. I might just hafta get me one of these!

Do the instructions provide any, well, instructions or recommendations to fill the 1/32" balsa covers with anything?

Jason

I was surprised at how smooth the balsa covers are as is. The balsa curved nicely and didn't "step" bend. I imagine a little Fill 'n Finish, primer, and sanding will smooth the balsa nicely. Sure, a little craftmanship is involved, but it's not anything you can't handle. It's been a fun build but is certainly a detail-oriented rocket. It's more a "model" build to me than a rocket build.

You are doing a great job and I love the photo essay. I am really proud of the FarScape. A lot of work went into the design and the look of that model and it came out great :)

I finally set aside some more time to work on my FarScape. Tonight I attached all of the fins with the exception of the antennas and other small detailing balsa. Talk about a practical application in geometry! The fin placement seems somewhat awkward at first but nonetheless once attached they truly make the FarScape begin to take ship-like shape.

I think the best thing about rediscovering rocketry is CyA. I never knew the stuff existed when I was 10 years old. I think I would still be holding the first fin on!

Here's another look but from the other side. Hmm...kinda looks like the other side!

Jim, at any point were you tempted to make the upper fins forward swept and the lower fins in the "normal" rear-swept position or vice-versa? I guess what I am getting at is that although the symmetry and general look of the rocket is preserved with the elliptical shape of the fins, the opposing directions of the the upper vs. lower fins gives the rocket a non-traditional aircraft appearance. I suppose the FarScape *is* an outerspace travelling craft. I can't wait to get to the first coat of primer.

I'll tell you... ...When I was putting the fins into position, I looked at what looked *normal*, then changed it to something else... :)

I didn't want "eliptical" fins, I wanted "oval" fins, which is why one fin is always forward and one rearward. The original design of this kit did not have the extra set of fins on the BT5 tube, but we determined that we needed them, so when faced with that I made a point of having them opposing the other small fins on the other main fin (did that make *any* sense?? :p )

I think you'll like the look in the end :)

jim

Back