My First Youtube Video

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Back_at_it

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After many years in rocketry and various other hobbies, I finally jumped on the video bandwagon. Back in Dec. 2020 we had a chance to fly out in AZ. over the holidays. It was a great time and made the perfect getaway from people as we were literally all alone for the entire day. Had a chance to fly a nice assortment of rockets and will be shipping more out there for future flights.

Please take it easy on me as the idea to record this was a last minute thing and all we had with us were our IPhones. I'm hoping to get some additional footage this year and maybe do a couple of build videos. Problem is it only took me 3 months to get this put together and posted :)

Comments on things to change, add, remove are always welcomed.

Video looks good! A few comments:

1) Typo in "And not for something completely different"
2) When filming, if you start with the rocket on the pad in the bottom of the frame, you'll just a bit more time to move to follow it, and it will slightly improve your chances of keeping the rocket in-frame the whole time. At least, not when you're flying the Bertha on an F44. :)
3) Your proximity to the power lines scares me. 😰

Video looks good! A few comments:

1) Typo in "And not for something completely different"
2) When filming, if you start with the rocket on the pad in the bottom of the frame, you'll just a bit more time to move to follow it, and it will slightly improve your chances of keeping the rocket in-frame the whole time. At least, not when you're flying the Bertha on an F44. :)
3) Your proximity to the power lines scares me. 😰

Neil,

1- I caught that typo after I posted it. I'll take it down and repost it later tonight. It takes about 2 hours to load and it bogs down my machine so I can't work.

2 - Good advise on framing the shot. I finally bought a couple of GoPro's for our Moab trip in May so I'll have better cameras going forward. Also, I need to give credit to my GF for filming. She was able to keep the rockets in the shot must better than I could. You can tell the rockets I filmed as they were out of frame instantly :)

3 - When we setup in the morning the winds were steady at about 4-5mph blowing away from the lines. When the chute popped, most rockets were carried several hundred feet away. As the day went on the winds at ground level decreased to almost zero but there was wind above the mount tops that was causing the rockets to tip into the wind about 300ft off the pad and go over the lines. You can see this with the Big Daddy. Once it clears the mountain tops it makes a turn into the wind.

We only filmed each rocket once except for Bertha. I wanted footage of it going up on the F44 just in case it came down in pieces. Looking at the flight log, we had a total of 26 flights. Only the Majestic and Big Daddy got close but we will move further away next time. After all, there is tons of room.

2 - Good advise on framing the shot. I finally bought a couple of GoPro's for our Moab trip in May so I'll have better cameras going forward. Also, I need to give credit to my GF for filming. She was able to keep the rockets in the shot must better than I could. You can tell the rockets I filmed as they were out of frame instantly :)
Mostly the tracking was very good, if it was your GF who was doing it then you can pass along my compliments. :)

It only occurred to me after a while the starting in the bottom would make it a touch easier; I'm going to try to remember that the next time I film my own launches (which I hate doing).

Back