My first Recovery setup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AstroAbaqus

Reaction score
Dear all here in attachment you will find the recovery system I designed based on OR and information on TFR and other sources. My first scratch build HPR, named Set, will be tall 2.25 meter (88 inch) with a 98 mm (4 inch) diameter with an estimated weight of 3.3 kg (at complete burn out. I am thinking to start immediately with dual deploy but I can change to single deploy relatively fast. I took a nylon shock cord rated 1000 lbf in red, most of the ends are protected by a thick kevlar sleeve and the shock cord is secured to the u-bolt via 6 mm quick links. The shock cord had a total length of 10 meter divided in 7 meter for the drogue and 3 for the parachute. At 3/4 of both the drogue and main shock cords a butterfly knot is done. To this I decided to attach a 1.8 meter of paracord of 6mm rated up to 900 lbf. At the end of the paracord the drogue and the main are attached using a swivel to ensure a free rotation. The drogue is a 24 inch parachute and the main is a 48 inch parachute.

Any advice is more than welcome :)

DSC_0012.JPGDSC_0017.JPG

What are your booster and payload lengths? I'd say the shock cord length is pretty short for the main. I would also get rid of the paracord and attach the swivel of the chute to your loop on the shock cord with a quick link. The paracord is unnecessary and is just another item in the recovery chain that could tangle up. Also a 48" chute for a 7.25 lb rocket seems a bit small.

What are your booster and payload lengths? I'd say the shock cord length is pretty short for the main. I would also get rid of the paracord and attach the swivel of the chute to your loop on the shock cord with a quick link. The paracord is unnecessary and is just another item in the recovery chain that could tangle up. Also a 48" chute for a 7.25 lb rocket seems a bit small.

thank you very much for your advice. So I ordered other 10 meters of high strength bright red shock cordwhich will be given to the drogue and 7 meters to the main. Will remove the paracord, can be useful for other projects. For the 48 inch in reality there is clear chance that for my lvl 1 I will fly my rocket without eBay and in a shorter and lighter version so is for sure ok because I am much lighter. For the full one, my descent rate is around 18ish fps. I know this may be too fast from common experience, and probably I will switch to a 60. However, where I launch is always wet and soft with nearly no roads ( we launch in Scotland) no trees as well so I would prefer a bit faster descent to do end up in a lake.

I agree that the 3 meters is short for the main cord. I would have split them 5 and 5, but that's me. I also agree with removing the paracord.
The 24" drogue seems a little large for that rocket, but you need to watch the decent and adjust based on how the rocket falls. I use a 53" golf umbrella as a main on a 9 lbs. rocket and that works fine on the farm fields of the east coast.

I would also move the swivel from the main chute, to the attachment point of the drogue cord to the fin can. I've never had a main chute twist up because the rocket parts were spinning under it. I have had a fin can spins at 100 RPM on the way down on a DD flight and twist up a drogue cord so bad it twisted the drogue chute right up inside the twisted cord. A swivel on the fin can will do a lot more good then one on a chute.

What chutes are you using? Or what companies chutes.

https://www.blackcatrocketry.co.uk :) Is a nice small business in Scotland, I already bought some material from them and was top neat. The chutes are really refined not just a large piece of nylon.

This is the main https://www.blackcatrocketry.co.uk/collections/parachutes/products/bcc-pro-series-48
This is the one I choose as drogue https://www.blackcatrocketry.co.uk/products/single-panel-special-edition-chutes?variant=51074730324

Thank you all for your advices, I ordered the 10 meter shock cord, now I don't know if is better to have 7 for the main and 10 for the drogue or just cut the new one in half and keep the others for other projects.

Your rocket is almost exactly the same size as my L2 Cert rocket. I had 4m of shock cord on each end. Had 50 flights and never an issue. Based on that, I would split the 10m into two 5s and save the other for another project.

+1 to above post. I have a couple the size of your rocket also and have15ft. for both drogue and main, never a problem. I for one don't believe in excessively long shock cords, but you don't want them too short either.

If your descent rate is calculated at 18fps with that chute, with those landing conditions, you should be good. I usually aim for 22fps and on not wet ground. It does depend on you fin shape and build quality, of course.

Back