My first level 1 pics.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davalf

Reaction score
Well I have been on here asking a few questions and appreciate all the help. I am not going to to a full build thread because the build was pretty straight forward. I just get the sense that on this forum you must post pics or you should leave.

All I have left really is sanding and painting. I have already filled in the grooves on the upper section and it is ready for paint. I still have the booster section to go. So, enjoy.

Super DX3 007 1.JPG

Super DX3 008 1.JPG

Super DX3 002 1.JPG

Super DX3 001 1.JPG

Looks nice! Looking forward to painted pictures as well as flight pictures! :)

You will do well here grasshopper! ;) As long as the pictures keep coming!:roll:

What kit is it? Looks like a 4 inch LOC of some sort. It looks good btw.

-edit - Nevermind. I see the directions in the background. Madcow Super DX3.

Last edited:
Well I think I have the primer done. I put 1 coat on, then took most of it off with 220 grit. I then worked my way up to 600. It turned out a lot smoother then I had expected. I guess those hours upon hours of sanding paid off. I then sprayed a second coat on. And I think I will just hit that with 600 and call it good. Then on Sat. I will take it to my father in laws for final paint.

Super DX3 010 1.JPG

Super DX3 009 1.JPG

Super DX3 012 1.JPG

Super DX3 011 1.JPG

My shop looks really messy in these pics!

Last edited:
What motor do you plan to fly on for your cert? Will you fly it on a big G for it's first flight?

What motor do you plan to fly on for your cert? Will you fly it on a big G for it's first flight?

For the first flight I plan on flying it with a G80T. Which should take it to about 500ft. And for the cert flight I plan on a H123W to about 1200ft. Hopefully on the same day.

Looks 'tidy' compared to my Rocket Dungeon room!:roll:

Primer job looks nice and smooth! What color(s) for the top coat?

I am thinking of a metallic midnight blue with ghost pearl white flames.

davalf,

Keep those progress posts and pics coming.

We're following along...

Super DX3, right?

Wm.

Last edited:
Super DX3, right?

Wm.

Yep, it is the Madcow Super DX3. 4" in dia. and 65.5" tall. In the morning I leave for work for 48hrs and then sat morning final paint gets started. Probably won't get more pics up until the end of next week though.

Dave

Ok, today, after work I headed over to the father in laws house for paint. I love going over there, I always come back with a new tool. Today I got a bench top drill press :D. So, we started looking at colors and I settled on this passion purple. Looks nice, but the nose cone came out a little lighter though. I didnt prep it because he said he had something that would help the paint stick to the plastic. And of course I forgot my primer, had to run to osh, and they did not carry the same brand that I had used. Oh well. He then masked off the flames and air brushed them on. I think it looks pretty good. With is masked off, I liked the look of the white with purple flames, so that will be on my next project. But we ran out of time, so I left it with him and he will apply the clear coat. After looking at the rocket I came up with a name. The Flaming Moe, can anyone guess what that is a reference to?

Dave

Super DX3 013 1.JPG

Super DX3 014 1.JPG

Super DX3 015 1.JPG

Super DX3 017 1.JPG

Last edited:
Ha, enthusiastic enough to follow your build thread Homer.
Now put down the Duff Beer, get out of Moe's and get busy. ;)

Hey, the bird is looking good. I bet it will look ever better in the sunlight.

Wm.

whats the roll of white stuff you used to mask the rest of the rocket off? some sort of sticky paper?

whats the roll of white stuff you used to mask the rest of the rocket off? some sort of sticky paper?

It was a large, about 6"-8" wide, low adhesive masking tape. We marked the design of the flames with very thin blue tape, and then put the large masking tape over that. Then we took a hobby knife and cut along the blue tape. Then, we pulled off the masking tape where we wanted paint.

Dave

Well it is finally done. I picked it up from my father in laws today. He had finished touching it up and applying clear coat. I have learned a lot. Like you should paint the end of the rocket to avoid seeing the seams when it is done. But even with the little mistakes I think it looks pretty good. The one pic with my boy: Isn't that worst, cutest looking cheese smile! :D Thanks to all that gave me advice.

Dave

Super DX3 020 1.JPG

Super DX3 022 1.JPG

Super DX3 024 1.JPG

Super DX3 027 1.JPG

Lookin good kid!

When do you think you'll fly?
Are you still going to go mid power on first flight?

Wm.

Last edited:
Lookin good kid!

When do you think you'll fly?
Are you still going to go mid power on first flight?

Wm.

As long as weather is good, next Saturday on the 16th will be the first flight. And the first flight will be mid power with a G80T I think. And if my TRA membership goes through in time and the first flight is good hopefully I will go for the cert flight.

Dave

What are you thinking for the cert flight? It looks awesome! Great paint job!

Everything went great. The rocket made two flights. The first on a G80, low and slow, it had a 7 second delay which was a little long but no harm done. The rocket kind of went in to a flat fall before the chute came out. For my level 1 cert flight I used a H123 with a 10 second delay. Beautiful flight no problems. One of the club members got some pics, so when he sends them my way I will post them. A lot of fun and I am ready for the next build. I think I have settled on a LOC Magnum, but not a 100% sure, might go with something smaller.

Dave

Back