My first Kit, what size?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What diameter and with motor mounts?

• 98mm

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 75mm

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • 54mm

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • 38mm

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • 29mm

Votes: 8 20.0%

• Total voters

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Hello TRF members,

I wanted to make this thread on getting your input on what size diameter I should start with in a Carbon fiber kit and also if you all prefer with or without motor mount to include as an option.

The carbon tubes and plates will be in all UNI (finished looks is an option). The nose cone will remain as Fiberglass in case you need gps. Included will aslo be fin alignment guides and avionics bay accessories. Also yes, the tubes will be sanded smooth.

Please note everyone this poll is just to get started on a size kit that you’d be interested in buying. Once I have put together a design for the voted diameter, I will post pricing. I will also post the design first to see if it is to your liking, please be aware that I can not replicate features from other vendors such as wildman’s signature head end deployment. I’d prefer to avoid being a copy cat.

I look forward to seeing the votes. Comments are welcome, remember to keep them about the topic and avoid any negative comments please.

thank you

I like 54mm from a lot of different perspectives personally. YMMV.

Whatever motor diameter you choose make sure you allow for the longest motor available to be fitted to your rocket.

What ceilings do you have available where you fly or what altitude do you like playing around at?

I like 54mm from a lot of different perspectives personally. YMMV.

Whatever motor diameter you choose make sure you allow for the longest motor available to be fitted to your rocket.

What ceilings do you have available where you fly or what altitude do you like playing around at?
Here in Texas we’re working on 2 fields that will have a 30k and 50k waiver. Plus, Argonia, Kansas, also with a 50k waiver, is only about 5 hours from north Texas. And personally I go to BALLS every year which basically has an unlimited waiver. (With additional paperwork.) The thing I like about 54mm is it’s fairly easy to work with yet still affordable. Well past Mach 2 without breaking the bank.

Tony

Here in Texas we’re working on 2 fields that will have a 30k and 50k waiver. Plus, Argonia, Kansas, also with a 50k waiver, is only about 5 hours from north Texas. And personally I go to BALLS every year which basically has an unlimited waiver. (With additional paperwork.) The thing I like about 54mm is it’s fairly easy to work with yet still affordable. Well past Mach 2 without breaking the bank.
I was asking the OP.

I was asking the OP.
I think that was obvious, but since he's making the kit for us, not for himself, I thought it might be helpful if he heard from prospective customers. I've bought several of his tubes and have been very pleased with them, and I am a good candidate for a kit. So I figured it was worth putting out there what some of us are looking for.

I figured he already knows all the answers to the questions you asked him.

Tony

I would suggest 54mm. I just finished a 38mm build with an E-Bay in the nose cone and, man, was everything a tight fit. I'm having to order a special parachute in order to make it fit with a JLCR (6,000' plus on the larger motors). It will likely be the first, last and only HPR 38mm build in my fleet. I enjoyed the challenge but don't need to repeat it...

54 mm MD is the L2 sweet spot with more motor choices for attitude and/or speed.
38 mm MD is more affordable, but fewer long burn motor choices and the L:W aspect ratio needs to be high in order to support the longest motors.

Tony
Where in Texas??

Thank you all for the great responses, it looks like 54mm is the clear winner here. This of course does not mean I will not be making other sizes, I merely wanted an idea on what size to start on that has most interest.

I see that 29mm beat 38mm by two votes and that suggests to me that 38mm and 29mm are next to be made. I will start working on a design and would like your input afterwards.

thank you all again.

This is a question left out, but I'd prefer to ask afterwards since I needed to know which diameter first, but do you all prefer mostly thin wall or standard wall?

Back