My first kit since becoming a BAR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Well, after building a bunch of cardstock rockets, I've finally managed to finish my first real kit since my return to the hobby. And what could be more fitting than to build a replica of the first rocket I ever built back in high school, the venerable Alpha. I really love the shape of that thing, and I plan to build several more in different sizes, but I wanted to make an original first.

Not only that, but I decided to forgo the current paint scheme and decals, and go with the 1973 paint scheme that I had on my original. Of course, I've learned a lot better modeling techniques since then, so this one looks a whole lot better than my original did. And I made a couple of mistakes on the finish of this one, so future models should improve even more.

Even so, I am pretty pleased with the results. Can't wait for a chance to launch it - maybe Sunday if the weather cooperates.

Greg

That is one fine looking Alpha. Great job.
How about those card stock rockets? Let's see those too.

Tim

Oh, I've posted pics of most of those in the Scratchbuilt section. Do a search on cardstock rockets and most of 'em should come up. Among the cardstock rockets I've designed and built are an Alpha clone, Red Max downscale, a space fighter and a very small Saturn V. I'm pretty sure most all those have been posted.

Greg

Beauty!

Nice job on a true classic!

Isn't it great to make a copy of our favorite birds from when we were kids?

(speaking of that, I need to make me a clone of the OLD Sizzler....)

I am working now on a copy of my very first rocket built in the mid 70's, Estes Blue Bird Zero. The original died in a swamp after its third or fourth flight. By the time I was able to get to it, all that was left was the nose cone. I still have it, so the new bird will have something of the original in it.
Dan

Originally posted by pleiade
I am working now on a copy of my very first rocket built in the mid 70's, Estes Blue Bird Zero. The original died in a swamp after its third or fourth flight. By the time I was able to get to it, all that was left was the nose cone. I still have it, so the new bird will have something of the original in it.
Dan

If you don't have the decals for your BBZ, our very own Astronboy makes a sweet set of repros.

You check check his site out here: https://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/

Thanks Fore Check,
I did get them from Astronboy, and they are indeed beautiful, I would venture to say they are better than the originals. I got the body tubes, fin stock, motor mount and chutes from Fliskits and the plans came from Jim Z's web site. I couldn't have done it without the help of everyone on this forum. Thanks to all for the suggestions and information. Will post pics when it is finished
Dan

Originally posted by gpoehlein
Can't wait for a chance to launch it - maybe Sunday if the weather cooperates.

Greg

Where are you in Indiana? I'm going to be launching around Bloomington on Saturday. If you're close, come on by.

John (not Jon) Arthur

www.JonRocket.com

Thanks for the invite, John. I'm down in Evansville - bit of a drive to Bloomington. However, there is a club launch at Holland (Launch Crue) this Sunday. If the weather holds out, I plan to go over there and fly.

Greg

Love the classic paint job! I bought a bunch of Alpha bulk pacs a few years back when I was doing rocketry programs in the local elemenrtary schools.

That year the Alphas showed up with orange fins and cones, and black tubes. SICK! (but the kids liked them ...)

From then on, it was the Generic E2X, which was all white. Some kids painted them, some used markers -- it was the perfect model for kids.

Anyway, I think of the old Estes catalogs, and all the rockets had simple colors -- white/black/red, yellow/black/red, etc. Those were my favorites.

Call me old fashioned, at least for the Estes Classics like Alphas, Berthas, Farsides ... they need to be in primary colors!

:)

Back