My first HPR build, shame it wont be flying :(

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfish

Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

After sitting staring at a 3" diameter tube for the past few days, I've come up with a rocket to turn it into. Its a rip-off of BSD's 38mm Thor rocket (just a bit shorter). The tube is drying in the garage after having been primed earlier (I would get a photo, but its raining outside). I have cut out and sanded all the fins, and am waiting to get my hands on a belt sander so that I can finish the centering rings off.

The slight problem is that I don't have any 38mm motors, and don't have enough money to go out and buy one (even if I did, I haven't got round to getting my level 1 yet). I guess it will just have to be a display model until I can get the paperwork and funds to fly it... oh well.

(P.S. The third photo is of the real BSD Thor, for comparison)

Silverfish

DSCN2379.jpg

Thor.jpg

thor2pad.jpg

Last edited:
You know, you can probably borrow a club case to certify level 1. Rocketry people are good like that. A 29mm Pro X H motor will run you about $25 for the flight. Something to consider.

Limited money and high ambition launch schedules can be very disappointing in this hobby, but in my limited experience, I've found that the delays have always provided me with much needed "learning and earning" time. So far, NOT making my time/$$$ goals has resulted in a lot more "book learning" and then two resulting successful cert flights. :2:

Last edited:
You could also build/buy a 38-29mm adapter and fly it on 29mm single-use motors. Also gives you the chance to test out your building skills before risking it all on a cert flight. :p

Pop some motors into RocSim and see what it comes up with!

I feel your pain. Right now i have a level one rocket sitting around and i keep thinking about getting another one as well, lol.

It doesnt help that life gets in the way of making it out to a launch... sigh.

It doesnt help that life gets in the way of making it out to a launch... sigh.

For me, it's mainly the weather that prevents me from flying, I haven't been able to do any launches for almost two months :(...

As for the other comments, asking if I can borrow a case sounds like a good idea! I'll be going to a club launch (weather permitting) this Sunday, so I'll ask around :).

Silverfish

Well right now its the weather for me, but before, it was money and life. I was planning on making it to a bigger launch but never got to because of issues in my life. Mad at it? yeah but its life, we cant prevent it.

For me, it's mainly the weather that prevents me from flying, I haven't been able to do any launches for almost two months :(...

As for the other comments, asking if I can borrow a case sounds like a good idea! I'll be going to a club launch (weather permitting) this Sunday, so I'll ask around :).

Silverfish

So were you able to launch?

So were you able to launch?
We didn't get to fly anything the other week (field was too wet and churned up to get to), but I've found someone to borrow a case from :). All I need to do now is finish building it (I've just got back from a holiday, and now with Christmas, it may be a while :L).

Silverfish

Back