My first Fliskit... the Over Drive

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenx99

Reaction score
Just finished up my first Fliskits model, the Over Drive.

overdrive-01.jpg

I have to say that "Skill 1" is pushing it here... those fins add a lot of complexity to the model, and I certainly wouldn't recomment it as a first rocket (even if they come with laser-cut fins now).

This was my first encounter with Ultracote Ultratrim... it went rather well. Wish I'd known about this stuff when I was putting pinstriping on my Baby Bertha.

I thought the stock livery on the Over Drive was a little unbalanced, so I added the strips around the body near the nose. I think that worked well.

More details of construction in my rocket blog...

https://raven.phoenyx.net/rockets/2004/07/over-drive-is-done-finished-my.html

Excellent job!!! Mune has seen many a flight and you will be very pleased. It can fly on everything from 1/4A to A10.

Carl

That is a very nice rocket. Now that they come with laser cut fins, I think I will buy one. I wish Apogee still had those 13mm B7's and C6's... I think the B7 would give this rocket a nice ride :)

Originally posted by CTulanko
Excellent job!!! Mune has seen many a flight and you will be very pleased. It can fly on everything from 1/4A to A10.

Thank you. I'm a sucker for forward-swept fins, non-symmetric fin configurations, and those fin-rib-thingies (do they have a name?) The kit hung on its peg whispering softly, "I was made just for you... you have to buy me." There was nothing I could do to resist. :)

Originally posted by n3tjm
That is a very nice rocket. Now that they come with laser cut fins, I think I will buy one. I wish Apogee still had those 13mm B7's and C6's... I think the B7 would give this rocket a nice ride :)

The retail version of the Overdrive kits does *not* come with laser cut fins yet. Not until we exhaust our current inventory. When that happens, there will be an announcement on our site :)

Great job by the way. I have to rebuild mine cuz the nose cone has been dinged so many times, it's rounded now :)

jim

Carl,

I read your review on the construction and concerning the Skill Level, I agree that this is a Skill Level 2 with the sheet stock but will support my selection of this as a skill level 1 with laser cut fins. (thank you for posting that review, by the way :) )

I come from "old school" where there was no such thing as plastic fin units and the like. I try to match the skill levels of our kits with the skill levels that appeared on rockets from the 60's and 70's. I truely beleive that, with laser cut fins, that this would have been a SL1 rocket in 1972, for example.

Is it a little tough? yep, but not too tough (my personal opinion). It causes kids to think a bit and their rockets may not come out perfect, but the next one will come out *better* for having built this.

I *will* admit that this isn't a good *first* rocket and will update our site to reflect that, but I still think it's a good beginner rocket. I love that it also has enough charm to woo even die-hard experienced rocketeers :)

I would love to have you expand your review to include your views on the entire construction and submit it to EMRR. Also, any other feedback you may have I would love to hear. The laser cut fins that are coming (and are currently avail in the bulk pack version) are a direct result of customer feedback.

jim

Originally posted by jflis

I come from "old school" where there was no such thing as plastic fin units and the like. I try to match the skill levels of our kits with the skill levels that appeared on rockets from the 60's and 70's. I truely beleive that, with laser cut fins, that this would have been a SL1 rocket in 1972, for example.

Fair enough. I was four years old in 1972, so I'm a little fuzzy on what rockets were like back then. :) (Though I have to admit that reading the old catalogs on Ninfinger's site is very entertaining and educational.) My first rocket, in middle school, was a Alpha III, though the body tube was just plain white back then. I specifically got the Alpha III because I didn't want to mess with trying to get fins on straight the first time around.

I kind of think of the EX2's and Quick Kits as "Skill 0"... the only skill you really need is the ability to read and follow instructions. (Okay, and that one bit of experience that says, "model glue really doesn't bond styrene to cardboard, no matter how much Estes and Quest think it does.")

I tend to think of Skill 1 as "this would make a good first rocket" which probably doesn't match up with the rest of the world's view. But I get the feeling that Estes has "diluted" its skill ratings over time.

I would love to have you expand your review to include your views on the entire construction and submit it to EMRR. Also, any other feedback you may have I would love to hear.

I figure that EMRR already has two reviews, and I'm not sure I have anything more to add. Other than I tied the shock cord around the motor mount because I really didn't like the looks of an external shock cord on an otherwise Very Nifty Rocket. I'll go back over the whole experience and see if there's anything I can add.

Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't thrilled with the balsa nose cone. I had a heck of a time sanding it and keeping it from developing a "frizz" at the very tip. As a Gen-X'r, I tend to like plastic. I figure a rounded nose in balsa shouldn't be so bad, but it's hard to keep a well-defined tip in a true cone at that size. (I also have to admit that this was my first and only balsa nose at this point.)

I really liked the look of the markings, and I knew I had to figure out how to reproduce them. I looked at making decals, but inkjet decals aren't opaque enough to really look good in this situation. I'm glad I started looking around and discovered the Ultracote products. So by something as simple as giving the drawing of the rocket some detailed markings, you led me into discovering a new product and technique for decoration.

That's why I decorate my rockets in the package livery... it pushes me to learn how to reproduce something someone else has done.

Oh, that ultracoat is great stuff. I don't use it near as often as I should, but love it :)

As for the balsa nose cone, there are 2 distinct camps, love'em, hate'em (well, maybe not *hate*, but dislike'em... :) )

Clearly, *i* love 'em :) I feel they add a level of quality to the kit just as a solid oak table is more valuable than one with just oak veneer or imatation oak formica, even if the formica is more durable. Just personal preferences. I grew up on balsa cones and fins and I think they are a model rocket quality that has been missing for a long time.

ironically, model rocketry *began* with plastic nose cones and went *to* balsa... ...go figure :)
jim

I may be missing something here, but why are you moving to laser cut fins? :confused:

Cheers,

Phil

In some of our skill level 1 kits (not all of them), we are moving to laser cut fins in response to feedback from teachers that we work with (both in schools and youth groups). More than anything else, it has to do with time. They often don't have the time in a class session to cut out the fins along with everything else that goes into building a rocket.

To help them out, we are providing laser cut fins on the Rhino, but (for example) not the Flea. In the case of the Overdrive, it is felt that without laser cut fins, that rocket falls into the Skill Level 2 category. Wanting to keep it a Skill Level 1 lead us to go with laser cut fins (for such a small rocket, there are actually 8 fins (each of 4 fins is made up of a pair of fins that have to be exactly matched/fitted to form one larger fin).

With these 3 kits, we have Skill Level 1 kits based on BT-5, BT-20 and BT-60. Within the next few months, we will also have Skill Level 1 kits based on BT-50 and BT55 and by spring time a BT-70 based Skill Level 1 kit. Some will have laser cut fins, some will not.

Anyway, that's why we did that on the Overdrive. Understand, there is *no* desire to laser cut on all of our kits. Would defeat the purpose of what we are trying to do at FlisKits :)

jim

For the record, I got to launch my Overdrive this evening. The wind was almost zero, and I just had to wedge a run out to the launch range in between dinner and my son's bedtime.

Put it up on a 1/2A3-4 and it flew beautifully. I lost sight of it for just a moment, and then the tracking smoke let me zero in. Deployed my red mylar streamer without a hitch and recovered gracefully. The shockcord tied to the motor block ring worked just fine. Forgot my camera, or I'd have gotten a picture of it. (I _always_ seem to forget the camera!) I'll get it next time, if I'm fast enough. This thing rips off the pad on a 1/2A3, I'll probably miss it entirely if I use an A10.

Had another rocket waiting for its maiden flight, and I ended up making only three launches before it was time to go home, so I flew the Overdrive only once (darn motor got stuck anyway, had to get a pair of pliers to get it out). But it scratched that itch. I hadn't launched for three weeks.

On an A10 they just teleport themselves to altitude. Next time we're going to try A3's instead.

I *love* my Overdrive on A10's! :) I managed to loose one in crops that were only about 3" tall. We all saw where it went down, we walk over there and it wasnt there :(
I ordered another one as soon as I got home though. :D

Great looking Overdrive.
I can't wait to get one myself.
Those extra stripes really set it off. I may have to copy that.

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
Great looking Overdrive.
I can't wait to get one myself.
Those extra stripes really set it off. I may have to copy that.

I have a CorelDRAW pattern that I used to cut the Ultratrim markings if you'd like a copy. I could to convert to other formats as well.

That's a fine looking model you have built. Great job on the markings.

Does the Ultacote have an adhesive on it like trim Monokote?

I have used that in the past and it worked pretty well. You just cut out your marking, peeloff the backing, and stick it on.

I know Ultracote makes the iron on stuff but I think that would be a hassle.

Originally posted by BobH48
That's a fine looking model you have built. Great job on the markings.

Does the Ultacote have an adhesive on it like trim Monokote?

I have used that in the past and it worked pretty well. You just cut out your marking, peeloff the backing, and stick it on.

I know Ultracote makes the iron on stuff but I think that would be a hassle.

Thanks. I thought it came out pretty decent for a first try. If you could see it up-close, you'd see that there are a few flaws.

Ultratrim is self-adhesive, though it can also be ironed down with a heating tool for a better bond. The only place I had bonding trouble (trim wanting to peel up after a few hours) was where I touched the adhesive with my fingers trying to get it positioned right. A clear coat over the trim took care of that issue, and in the future I'll just have to be more careful in handling the stuff. (Got to find my tweezers.)

Ultracote is probably a lot like Monocote trim... the primary reason I bought that over Monocote trim was it comes in a compact roll instead of a long sheet and has matching pinstripe tape as well. (Though that $25 stripe cutting machine looks like it'd be a good option instead of paying for individual rolls of stripes.)

Back