My First Crayon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter

Reaction score
This is my first crayon it has a 29mm motor mount. I was going to use another color but after watching Dr.Dons poor crayon I used the same color as he did to carry on the CRAYON all mighty LOL. The Mrs. said OOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooo

Here was my Level 1 flight with mine! Welcome to the Crayon Family!

Originally posted by gerbs4me
the crayon family is growing

Is having a crayon rocket like having a Deuce? Is it a requirement in the rocketry world? I guess I must find a crayon bank and start the conversion...........

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
Is having a crayon rocket like having a Deuce? Is it a requirement in the rocketry world? I guess I must find a crayon bank and start the conversion...........

Not exactly, but is does become a conversation piece. I started mine when my son saw the bank at Toys-R-Us. He wanted clear fins so you could not see them in flight. By the time I got them on it, it weighed right at the 3lb limit, so naturally I had to get Cert1 to fly it. After my Cert flight, as I was walking back to my prep site, people congratulated me on my Cert, and also asked how much it cost to do. This happened to be my first LDRS in '99, and at that time Aerotech was sponsering certification flights. I explained to these people that it was pretty cheap for me. I signed up to a chance at a reload, and got it, at no cost, a friend lowned me his casing to use, the parachute was made from an old golf umbrella, the fins from some old lexan I had in the garage, so my cost was the bank, some ubolt type hardware from Tru-Value, and some bungee cord from them as well. After explaing all of this to them, they then said "Thats it?, and I suppose you hitch-hiked up here as well?" All in all is was great fun!
Happy Flying!

Congrats Bowhunter! Looks good! I have one just like it:) except mine is a 5 D12 cluster HO YEAH!! recovers on a 36" primary colors nylon Hemi chute. Looks very Kewl coming down as well

Thats some cool crayons guys I test flew mine today on a G35-6 and it was awesome it recovered great

In the background of your photo, are those Christmas lights that are still up?

(Now I don't feel so bad about mine)

We left the ones on the arch up so when company leaves at night we can turn them on inside it looks cool. Im adding a second crayon for a payload section so i can fly it the way it is or with payload

I see a Lil Tykes Cozy Coupe in the background there, Bowhunter. When are you gonna slap some motors in that bad boy and send 'er up??

Originally posted by Micromister
If that's to big, I can step down to a 2 D12 cluster in blue

MM, I want to see a 1:1 scale MicroMaxx crayon rocket...I know you're the man to do it.

Originally posted by kenobi65
MM, I want to see a 1:1 scale MicroMaxx crayon rocket...I know you're the man to do it.

Oh man! I went way further than that.... I did a whole 8 pack with box:) the launcher box is about 1/2" longer than the storage box sending up 2 groups of 4, each model recovers on a 1/4" streamer of the same color as the crayon:D

Originally posted by Micromister
Oh man! I went way further than that.... I did a whole 8 pack with box:) the launcher box is about 1/2" longer than the storage box sending up 2 groups of 4, each model recovers on a 1/4" streamer of the same color as the crayon:D

Beautiful! I don't suppose you've got a Burnt Sienna rocket? :)

Hey There Mr. BH!!!
Welcome to the Crayon Club!!!
Thanks for the condolances!!!!
One of the best things about this particular kit is the ease
of a rebuild!
A minute or 2 with a dremel to separate the remains of the original body tube>>>>>>>.
And the new purple body tube slips right on>>>>>>>
O crud.....the pics are 124KB......

I would have rather stuck with ORANGE, but the dollar store
only had purple or pink! I thought it would be nice to save the pink one for Mrs. BH!!!

A little sanding on the upper motor retainer, and....
PRESTO!!!!!!!PURPLE!!!!!!!!!

Why do I sense a Tour De Crayon comment coming up here somewhere?

WW

Hello all I am new to this forum. This is great! Lots of great stuff here and this crayon thread is no exception.
Well I had a crayon several ( about 6 now... wow where does time go) years ago and I was asked to allow them to put in on essence model rocketry reviews.. I looked and it is still there.
https://tinyurl.com/2x8t2

I flew mine several time with 29 mm rms.. most of the time (actually all of the times) I launched with g-64 reload.
About 3 years ago at a friend from works birthday party. (he allways has a rocket party for his birthday. I launched its final launch and no ejection charge went off.... it flew wonderful stable arched over and flew wonderful all the way to the ground. I have two more banks in the garage one is even half way built... You all have rekindled those crayon embers :)
I have to get it rebuilt and fly it again.
Good day!

Well cpine welcome to the fourm but on another note Hey DR.Don what do ya think Tour De Crayon ?

I challenge You to construct an upscale Crayon!
How about 300% upscale!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by wwattles
Why do I sense a Tour De Crayon comment coming up here somewhere?

OMG....ROTFLMAO!

Find yourselves a different organizer - it sure as heck ain't gonna be me! Gotta give someone else this sorta opportunity! But don't worry one little bit - you sure as heck have got a volunteer! :D

Jason

Latest posts

Back