Quantcast

My First clone!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Well, I finally took the next step in rocketry, Cloning!!. Thanx to all the info I've collected on this forum, and to astronboy for the decals, I have successfully cloned the Estes Blue Bird Zero. This is also an upscale kit, 125%. It didn't turn out top notch like I'd hoped, but I'm still pretty excited about it. I'm going to launch it tomorrow. It will fly on 24mm motors up to "E". Here's the picture:
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
The only problem I had was with the application of the decals. They are really thin and hard to manuever once they get on the rocket, so it took some getting used to. Here is another picture, it actually is also of a clone but a different kind. :D :D :D
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Hope to get some good pictures tomorrow, so I'll post when I get back.
 

nomopbo

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Messages
525
Reaction score
0
Wow,
That turned out sweet! Nice job!
 

eugenefl

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
4,344
Reaction score
6
VERY nice job! A VERY nice first clone at that! Hopefully the launch will be just as successful. Nice work.
 

Elapid

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 2, 2009
Messages
1,734
Reaction score
0
send in the clones!

(you look a little younger than i expected...)
;)
 

Guest
Nice! I have one too! I built one a couple of years ago before the plans were on JimZ's site. I had some copies of the plans, so I built my clone, and sent copies of the plans to JimZ. I have attached a pic of my BT-60 upscale. It has a 3x18 cluster, G-10 TTW fins, and a payload section. It turned out a little heavy, but it flies great! The BBZ was the first rocket I owned, so I like to keep one around for sentimental reasons. :)
 

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,243
Reaction score
7
Very nice! I wish *my* first clone turned out that nice!

Did you use the Microscale liquid decal film on your decals?

If you lay a thick coat of Microscale decal film on (or two thin coats in succession, whichever you prefer) I think you'll find that custom decals will be as tough or even tougher than any waterslide decal from a kit.

In other words, the key to toughening up those custom decals is to not skimp on the liquid decal film.
 

Guest
Originally posted by Fore Check
Very nice! I wish *my* first clone turned out that nice!

Did you use the Microscale liquid decal film on your decals?

If you lay a thick coat of Microscale decal film on (or two thin coats in succession, whichever you prefer) I think you'll find that custom decals will be as tough or even tougher than any waterslide decal from a kit.

In other words, the key to toughening up those custom decals is to not skimp on the liquid decal film.
Thank you! Actually, they're not 'decals' at all. When I built this one, the plans and decals were not on JimZ's site, so I had to improvise. Actually, they were printed on glossy white self adhesive stock. Full sheets of label stock, I think they call it.

I drew the strobe around the bottom, and the stripes above the small fins and mid-section using DeltaCad. The 'BLUE BIRD ZERO' script was made with MS Word 2000 using white Stencil font over a blue background. And the "bird" was scanned in from the plans that I had and re-touched, re-sized, and printed out. The German Iron cross was from the Der Red Max. Cloners have it *much* eaiser these days now that the plans for this one are online.....:)
 

Fore Check

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2010
Messages
4,243
Reaction score
7
Originally posted by asmqajm
Thank you! Actually, they're not 'decals' at all. When I built this one, the plans and decals were not on JimZ's site, so I had to improvise. Actually, they were printed on glossy white self adhesive stock. Full sheets of label stock, I think they call it.

I drew the strobe around the bottom, and the stripes above the small fins and mid-section using DeltaCad. The 'BLUE BIRD ZERO' script was made with MS Word 2000 using white Stencil font over a blue background. And the "bird" was scanned in from the plans that I had and re-touched, re-sized, and printed out. The German Iron cross was from the Der Red Max. Cloners have it *much* eaiser these days now that the plans for this one are online.....:)
No offense, but my post was directed at kelltym88.

Particularly the discussion of the custom decals.

Yours was nice too, BTW... :cool:
 

Guest
Originally posted by Fore Check
No offense, but my post was directed at kelltym88.

Particularly the discussion of the custom decals.

Yours was nice too, BTW... :cool:
My bad for not watching the board. :)
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
O.K. Well I'm back. The day started out slow, but then it turned out to be a really nice day. First up was this classic, at least it was to me. This was the first kit that I ever owned, the one responsible for all this. It is the Star Wars Proton Torpedo. I even used the original launching configuration with the 12v battery and all. It went up on an A8-3, I wasn't going for height. Here it is on the pad and ready to go.
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Here is a picture of it just smoking right before take off.
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
To keep with the whole theme of nostalgia, I next launched my Nike X. This is also a clone, but I bought this kit from Thrustline.
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Here it is just smoking right before lift-off. I used a B6-4 for this one. It was a perfect flight.
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Next up was my Fliskits Tres. It went up on 3 C6-3's. Here it is before lift-off.
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Here it is in all of it's 3 engine glory!!! I'm just stoked I finally got a good shot of this baby. I used the club's pad on this one, that's why I'm so far away.
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
OK, here she is. The Blue Bird Zero. I used an E9-6 for this flight.
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
Here is the take off!! Sweet!! Flight was beautiful, straight, and really high. I saw the 'chute open, so I ran back to my truck to put down my camera(it was only about 20 yards away). When I looked up, it was gone. I could not see it anywhere. It was really weird. I looked for about a half hour in a big 180 degree circle in the direction I thought it went, but nothing. I couldn't believe it. I was really scratching my head. Then I went to talk to a couple of people who asked me if I found it, and I looked up......There it is!!It had gone in the other direction I wasn't looking in. It had cleared the trees and came to rest gently on the grass. Whew!!
 

kelltym88

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
3,865
Reaction score
6
I had a couple other successful launches with varied results.....
My Magnum upper stage got stuck in a RET (rocket eating tree), my Bullet (3D Fat Boy conversion) was an awesome flight and recovery. I didn't get to take a picture of that one, but somebody else did, so I'll have to wait.
All in all it was a really fun time for me, and I got my BBZ back. I now have the clone bug, so stay tuned.
 
Top