Quantcast

My first clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Well, although I've been building and flying a number of cardstock rockets in the last couple of months, I haven't build a rocket using "conventional" materials in well over a decade. So, as it turns out, my very first clone (or semi-clone, seeing as how I'm using Estes parts to build what was a Centuri rocket) is a Vector V. I started with the Viking and made all the needed conversions. She's just about ready for the paint.

Man, this hobby is more fun than I remember from high school 30 years ago!

Greg

teflonrocketry1

Reaction score
Centuri Engineering bought Estes and kept the Estes name so your clone is closer to the real thing than you think.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Originally posted by teflonrocketry1
Centuri Engineering bought Estes and kept the Estes name so your clone is closer to the real thing than you think.

Oh, I know that - but I meant that I used Estes parts instead of Centuri sized parts as would have been in the original kit. Thus, it is not exactly the same (BT20 is not quite an ST7 and the BT55 is not exactly the ST13, and the nose and fins from the Estes Viking are not exactly the same as the original nose and fins from Centuri. But, I figure the rocket is close enough for government work! ;)

Greg

Johnnie

Reaction score
Nice work Greg, any idea what the PJ will look like? I'm not exactly familiar with this one, so I believe I will pop over to the JimZ web site and scope it out...

I likes it!

mikeyd

Old Rocketeer
Reaction score
Originally posted by teflonrocketry1

What I was led to understand, was Estes bought Centuri, but due to cheaper taxes, and better "Incorporation" Laws in the state Centuri was in, "ON Paper" it looks like Centuri bought Estes, While actually it was the other way around!

jflis

Reaction score
well, if you check the patents and copyrights, they are all owned by "Centuri Engineering Corp"...

jpasqual

Reaction score
Looks great for a first clone - I always found Centuri rockets to be sort of mystical as Estes was very popular around here and you never really saw them around . I do know that Estes took allot of the design ideas from Centuri for there Saturn 1B and V rockets and they had a fantastic replica of a LJ11 that Estes never matched in scale

Latest posts