My first batch of MMX models.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

tab28682

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
1,691
Reaction score
226
When I reentered rocketry recently, I picked up a few of the Semroc MMX kits. The MMX Orbital Transport first, followed by the Cherokee MMX, the Hawk RG and a Jayhawk.

They were great fun to build and made good evening projects that fit on a TV tray while watching TV with my wife in the evenings, when it was too darn cold out in the shop.

Still a few final details to add, but here is the collection, sitting on of the case I use for my RC transmitter. Still need to add the nozzle to the OT glider and the black radome and a couple of decals to the Jayhawk.

I decided to do the Jayhawk in the orange scheme. However, the star and bar decals did not have white on them, just red and blue. Easy enough to fix. I whipped out an assortment of star and bar decals on white decal paper on my inkjet printer. I still need to replace a NAVY decal for the wing of the Jayhawk that I accidentally killed. Currently working up a batch of decals, the including the NAVY, to print on a sheet of clear decal paper.
 

Attachments

kuririn

BARGeezer
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Joined
Oct 3, 2016
Messages
5,966
Reaction score
3,796
Location
Hawaii
Nice job.
For the white stars and bars, I cut out a white backing from white decal paper and overlaid the stock decal over that. That way you don't have to trim the decal precisely between the blue and the white paper..
1615227045114.png

1615227090394.png


Post some launch videos when you get to fly.
Micro Maxx is a hoot!
 

tab28682

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
1,691
Reaction score
226
I have done the white background trick betore, but decided to replace the stars and bars anyway, as the kit stars and bars are incorrectly proportioned. The bars are too long. Usually no issue with getting a perfect trim using a new sharp #11 blade.

A lot of kit decals get the star and bar wrong. Should look like this.
 

Attachments

Saluki

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
373
Reaction score
98
Really great job on your MMX rockets. I have just started to get back into the Micro Maxx rockets. The new designs from SEMROC are great and the Flis old kit is nice to be able to get again. I hope the new kits keep coming.
 
Last edited:

tab28682

Well-Known Member
TRF Supporter
Joined
Jul 30, 2014
Messages
1,691
Reaction score
226
I picked up a few MMX parts (tubes and cones) on my last eRockets order. Mulling over what to do a downscale of.
 

Johnly

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2009
Messages
793
Reaction score
148
Might I suggest you convert an Estes 220 Swift or Mosquito of MMX power.
The ejection charge is sufficient to blow off the nosecone for a slow recovery and the ejection time is close to perfect.
 

Scud-B

Member
Joined
Feb 16, 2016
Messages
18
Reaction score
2
Might I suggest you convert an Estes 220 Swift or Mosquito of MMX power.
The ejection charge is sufficient to blow off the nosecone for a slow recovery and the ejection time is close to perfect.
I converted a Quark over to MMX and just use tumble recovery, but you're correct, most of those small Estes kits have enough room for an actual recovery system. My MMX clone of the Estes Sparrow just uses break apart recovery with no chute or streamer and there is more than enough drag present to safely recover it from the 40-50 foot flights it makes.
 

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Joined
Aug 27, 2011
Messages
8,146
Reaction score
2,934
When I reentered rocketry recently, I picked up a few of the Semroc MMX kits. The MMX Orbital Transport first, followed by the Cherokee MMX, the Hawk RG and a Jayhawk.

They were great fun to build and made good evening projects that fit on a TV tray while watching TV with my wife in the evenings, when it was too darn cold out in the shop.

Still a few final details to add, but here is the collection, sitting on of the case I use for my RC transmitter. Still need to add the nozzle to the OT glider and the black radome and a couple of decals to the Jayhawk.

I decided to do the Jayhawk in the orange scheme. However, the star and bar decals did not have white on them, just red and blue. Easy enough to fix. I whipped out an assortment of star and bar decals on white decal paper on my inkjet printer. I still need to replace a NAVY decal for the wing of the Jayhawk that I accidentally killed. Currently working up a batch of decals, the including the NAVY, to print on a sheet of clear decal paper.
Nice fleet,

I was trying to figure out what the rocket was in the top left corner, then it hit me.
B6D742D6-3D88-4E99-9D9C-DB9B708EC2D4.png


that’s a pen. :facepalm:
 
Top