My First attempt at a website

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetra2

Reaction score
Hi all,

This link shows the results of my first attempt, EVER, of creating a website.

https://www.geocities.com/three18mm

I taught myself how to write the HTML code, along with how to attach pictures, make links, embed links in pictures, and make background colors. The site www.htmlgoodies.com was invaluable as I worked on this site, thank you Eugene! I am taking a Web Design course at college this next semester, so I figured I should at least have SOME experience writing the code before I go in there!

The site is no where close to done, and I hope to have a dedicated page for each of my rockets soon! Check back to the site often! Some links do not work yet, but will soon!

Comments? Critique?

Thanks,
Jason

Site not coming up for me Jason. Tried playing with the link a bit but, no go.

One at a time please, one at a time! Bandwidth is limited!

Jason

It's a nice start Jason...keep going, go to other sites, learn their code and you will not only have a good skill but will have fun doing it! Or am I the only sick one around here??? :)

Nice job!

Carl

Carl, Carl, Carl.... don't bait me like that.

Ummm.... grooooan.... OK, I tried, but it's way too easy.

NO, Carl... you're not the *only* sick one around here.

But, you are the *sickest* one around here.

[I tried... honestly I tried...]

Originally posted by CTulanko
... you will not only have a good skill but will have fun doing it! Or am I the only sick one around here??? :)

Nice job!

Carl
Now that you mention it Carl, I sort of followed your "format" for my latest build. Hope you don't mind. ;)
Guess I'm far enough along to put 'er in public domain.

Phoenix

Way cool Stones...looks nice man! Ken...I resemble that!!! :D

That's how I learned it guys, traveling to websites I liked and reading the html source code. Learned much over the years and, although I may not use much in the way of Flash or Databases, I have fun building them...that's what it's all about...fun.:)

Carl

I wonder how many people look at the source code from my website? :). Nice Pheonix. :). Maybe I will build one for L/M motors :)

the site is looking good so far Jason

added it to my bookmarks

Thanks for the comments all...they really help. I plan on adding a LOT more content, then moving it all to a site with my own domain name...500mb of content and plenty of bandwidth, anyone? Mainly I plan on adding a page for every rocket I'm building, then making the front page easier to navigate through the site, make it more like the INDEX it's supposed to be, lot's! I plan that by mid-March it should look a lot better!

Keep checking it! You never know when I might upload something new! Tomorrow I plan on adding two more pages...keep watch!!! :cool:

Jason

Got your site to come up Jason. Looks great! Keep at it and remember...."view source". :)

Jason,

finally got it to open.... ...yer killin' me! LOL I knew dancin' in front of a camera like that would come back to haunt me!

I'll give you a hint that may help. You will notice that all of your images that act as links to sites have a blue border around them. It is very common as many web editors do not define what is called the "border" around linked images. An undefined border is assumed to be "1" (don't ask me why, i haven't a clue)

If you *don't* want that border, you can put the command 'border="0" ' inside the img tag and that blue border will go away. here's a typical command structure (NOTE: I've replaced the angle brackets with "[" square brackets so that you can see the code):

[a href="web address for the link"][/a]

looking good! :)
jim

Over time you are going to build a hefty set of links. I see you are using actual image banners for click-thru links. You may eventually build a links page just for this purpose to avoid cluttering your homepage. Of course, keep your absolute "must-check-out" links on your homepage. (ie TRF, FlisKits.... :D)

One last note, since I know you've asked permission to utilize certain images, you might want to add a tiny pt. 8 font note at the very bottom indicating something to the effect of "all images used with the permission of their respective authors."

Thanks Jim...it helps to know that, but I think that if there is that border around it, people kinda know it's a active image...

Eugene, will do. Good hint on making a links page...gotta do that too!

Jason

OH! I almost forgot. Does anyone know how to make images line up at different sides? I'm envisioning a list of links, but I want them two be in two columns....oh heck...I think I just answered my own question! Time to research frames! GULP :kill:

Jason

Stones,

How bout some specifics on that Pheonix??

Is that a kit or something you've put together yourself...? Diameter, motor mount..?

I'm thinking of doing anothe Estes Phoenix, I have one done stock but I want to beef one up with ply fins and centering rings and go up to 29mm.

Looking good Jason :)

Just keep filling her with rocket stuff for us to share and you'll do just fine :cool:

Originally posted by jetra2
OH! I almost forgot. Does anyone know how to make images line up at different sides? I'm envisioning a list of links, but I want them two be in two columns....oh heck...I think I just answered my own question! Time to research frames! GULP :kill:

Jason

Don't bother or worry with frames, it's easy code to learn. What you need to do is stick em in a table with no border. Tags for tables look like the following:

[table border=0 cellpadding=1 cellspacing=2 width=400]
[tr][td]Line 1, Column 1[/td][td]Line 1, Column 2[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Line 2, Column 1[/td][td]Line 2, Column 2[/td][/tr]
[/table]

TR tags are "Table Row" tags that specify the beginning and end of rows, and TD tags are "Table Data" tags that specify the cell contents. You can put anything inside the table, make it pretty colors, and many other fun things. I laid out almost my entire website in tables.

The code above, when used with real HTML tags, would look like this:

<table border=0 cellpadding=1 cellspacing=2 width=400>
<tr><td>Line 1, Column 1</td><td>Line 1, Column 2</td></tr>
<tr><td>Line 2, Column 1</td><td>line 2, Column 2</td></tr>
</table>

Great site, BTW! I want to see more details on that Terrier Sandhawk! :)

...and to center the whole table in the middle [width-wise] of the page, surround the whole table code with this tag:

&lt;div align=center&gt;
table code
&lt;/div&gt;

<div align=center>so that it will appear like this</div>

/self-taught HTML in college, too

Jason,

after looking at your pages I found some errors in the code you should know about. The site might not work with all browsers.

e.g. your missing the [head] or [/head] tags in some pages.

Every page should look like this

HTML:
[head]
	[title]Title here....[/title]
[/head]

[body]

Text and pictures and stuff here.....

[/body]

Also it is not necessary to end the font tag like this "[/font color]" but rather just "[/font]" :)

(exchange [...] with <...>)

Keep the site simple so that all browsers can enjoy your web site and stay away from using frames :)

Have fun!

Originally posted by firemanup
Stones,

How bout some specifics on that Pheonix??

Is that a kit or something you've put together yourself...? Diameter, motor mount..?
Fireman...
I'll be getting the particulars on the pic site shortly.Stay tuned.

;)

Originally posted by jetra2

Jason

Frames will certainly do the job, but you'd be better off using tables...

Good job so far Jason!

FRAMES BAD! TABLES GOOD!!

Jason, looking at the Terrier Sandhawk you have -

How do you do the staging thing with that?

I always thought if you did not use any electronics, the motors had to be right on top of each other to ignite.

Please explain this to me.

Thanks!
Steve

Steve,

Check out the Terrier-Sandhawk thread in the scratch built forum - should answer your questions. If not, reply to that thread with them, k?

OK OK - I GET IT! No Frames! :D :p

Jason

Back