My Finished L1/L2 Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwardw

Reaction score
Here in the forums over the past month I have asked your opinions on different subjects on a scratch built rocket. I took them all into consideration and built my dual use L1/L2 bird.

Her name is Schlockhumbachum's Revenge :)

She is a 3" diameter mailing tube airframe with a 38mm motor mount. Designed to fly on Pro38 2 grain and 5 grain motors for my certification. She stands 58.5" tall. The nosecone is a doll makers cone modified to fit a 3" tube. She has a Perfectflite MAWD and is set up in dual deploy mode - droge at apogee and main at 500'. She weighs 4 lbs without a motor. The drogue chute is a 36" military flare chute and the main is a 60" military flare chute. For guidance there are 3 fins, 30,60,90 triangles that measure 3" x 18" long. She also has three railbuttons down one side. The finish is Insignia Blue Monokote. The stuff worked like a dream and the finish is nice over the tubing.

I'm planing on flying my certification flights on the 6th of March.

I have attached a picture of her.

Edward

P.S. Thanks for all the tips and input you all gave me - helped a ton!

My only question is that I'm having trouble imagining an H motor lifting a rocket heavy enough to need chutes as large as you're talking about. My L1 rocket used a 32" chute as its main (and only) recovery device, and it was heavy... fiberglassed tube with tons of epoxy, and nearly a pound of pine for the nose & payload bulkhead.

I always have huge chutes, I like a nice slow descent. I don't think an H will lift something that heavy, but I think a J would. Plus, I always like to play it safe when I'm flying and coming down for a nice soft landing is always a plus. Also, I forgot to mention that the rocket splits also, the payload section comes in under the 36" chute and the fin can/motor comes in under the 66" chute. I know it's overkill but I'm okay with that.

Edward

Hi, Edward I just finished my level 1 or 2 rocket last night it is a PML Quazar 57.5"and weighs 2.8lbs. I am using a 32" sky angle shoot with rail buttons also. I have ordered a MAWD alltimeter today. Thanks for the recomendations. I hope to cert in March or April. I have attached a picture also.

David

Edward...

The rocket looks great man...you have done what appears to be a good job and I like the finish! Good luck on your L1 cert and don't fret about H motors... an H123-S will fly it fine, as will any others. Keep us up to date.

Once again, nice job,

Carl

Just a side note:

I do love rail buttons. I have built a couple rockets with launch lugs and after they had some trouble binding I went and got the rail system. The installation is simple and I always get a straight flight.

Monokote - your my friend. I hate painting. My roomate hates me painting. My apartment doesn't like it either. I have seen some really cool Monokote rockets and I thought I would try my hand. It isn't as hard as you think, I had to test a few pieces to see. But one thing is sure - a heat gun will make you a very very happy person. The iron is great but for wrinkles a heat gun is your friend.

Edward

After talking to you all and some other friends who fly these things called 'rockets' I have heard the term drift come up. I have tested my 36" chute and rocket off my apartment (40') but have had none of this 'drift'. I know there are winds aloft so does anything think that I should just pop a streamer out at the top and then have the 60" come out at 300' instead of 500' and have the sections tethered?

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
After talking to you all and some other friends who fly these things called 'rockets' I have heard the term drift come up. I have tested my 36" chute and rocket off my apartment (40') but have had none of this 'drift'. I know there are winds aloft so does anything think that I should just pop a streamer out at the top and then have the 60" come out at 300' instead of 500' and have the sections tethered?

Edward

Your rocket's almost 60" long and weighs ~4 pounds? IMHO, you don't need a drogue OR a 60" chute. I use 60" chutes on 10 pound rockets, not 4 pounders. A 3' chute should be plenty big enough. I brought down a 7 pound 4" diameter Wasserfall down on one a dozen times with no problems.

Back