My Fat Boy on the pad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
Sandman
Ok Ok you said " we need pictures " so here ya go
Flew the Fat Boy today 5mph wind weathercocked some but topped out as advertised 325' nice deployment and recovery.

BAR
John :D

whoa so very yellow nice rocket....I love the fat boy. Fat Boy's often weathercock, at least the ones I have seen fly

Hey, I like that paint scheme!

Still haven't bought a Fat Boy yet, But I *am* thinking about it. The $8.88 price at Wal-Mart is tough to beat.

Combinations of Blue/Yellow/White are my favorites. Never thought of how that would look on the Fat Boy.......

Seeing your pic gives me "inspiration" for a paint job that gets me a bit more excited about that rocket.

Well done!

Forcheck
Glad you liked my fat boy Happy to do whatever I can to
help you with you addiction:D he he just kidding If I inspired
you GREAT!! carry on

BAR
John

My fat boy has to the squirreliest flying rocket that iv'e ever flown!

The picture of the yellow FAT BOY makes me want to run to "Wally Mart" as well...Like Fore Check said...$8.88 aint bad...and I already have an extra 24mm mount as well as the yellow paint...cool....in the mean time...here's a candy apple red...!!!

I love the Fat Boy as well, in fact I have 2. The first one I made for "D" engine power. It was real easy to convert, just bored out the existing CR with a hobby knife to accept a 24mm engine tube and followed the rest of the instructions. It flies great.
The other I call the Bullet. Check it out.

This one I made to accept a cluster of "D" engines.
I did do some major mods on this one, although I used the stock CR's from the kit. I used epoxy to glue the engine mount assembly in place and replaced the balsa fins with basswood. I did forget one thing and that was to apply kevlar shock cord to the engine mount BEFORE gluing it in place, that's why you see the blue tape at the bottom, I drilled a whole thru the engine mount and fed the kevlar cord thru it and put tons of glue on it.
I also added plenty of clay for nose weight. It's pretty heavy with the engines, haven't flown it yet, I need to go somewhere way out in boonies in case it's not stable, I don't want anyone to get hurt.
Anyway, here's the business end.

I dont trust fatboys... Ever since my 53d ever rocket flight, I havent liked them much. It went about 20' up, went horizontal (on a C, BTW), went across 2 soccer fields, and slammed into a boulder. OUCH. THe best part is, the ejection charge fired exactly when it hit the rock! The worst part is, said boulder was right next to the little roadside parking lot next to the elementary school. 5' further or 3' to the right or left, and it would have dented a car!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kelltym88 -

Love it! I've built and flown a 4x18mm cluster Fat Boy - there's nothing better than a short little rocket with the MAX number of motors you can stuff into it.

Next one's going to be a 24mm "F" center MMT with 3 outboard 18mm MMT's.

Hi Gang
I was just sitting here at the puter reading the last post on my Fat Boy and the lightbulb went on , What do you all think about a Fat Boy Tuesday of course a Saturday would be better. Held all over The USof A and see how many Fat Boy's can be launched in one day. Would need to pick a date summer time would be best. set up a Poll to enter data on launches and RIP's etc..
What do you all think. Not a Tour , But one Big Fat Boy launch party.:D

BAR
John

I've got too many projects going...
An unfinished VENUS PROBE...BIG BERTHA...GAURDIAN...
A new 4 place launch pad...unfinished...as well, and in the middle of sewing all new parachutes...!!!
But NO...!!! This morning I go and buy another FAT BOY...
Yep...and it will be yellow, and it will be 24mm...and I also bought film for the camera...
I guess I spend too much time online and on this forum....LOL
Need to spend more time building instead of dreaming....

P.S. when did the FB fins go thru the wall? Surely it hasn't been that long since I built the one I have??

Get set...OK...got the motor mount done before noon...24mm with a 6 inch steel leader tied to the forward bulkhead...first sanding of the fins next...

Exactly who am I racing...???
OK, fins are ready and am fix'n to glue the motor mount...I'm not sure if you can see, but I'm also getting the BIG BERTHA done at the same time....It's also a 24mm mount....also with a 6 inch steel leader...
Truthfully, we have a club launch this weekend and I've got to have something new to fly....LOL

BERTHA motor mount...
I hope nobody thinks I hijacked this thread....!!!
( It is a FAT BOY )...
This falls under things you do while waiting for glue to dry.

Here's my Water lofter:

We had a duration contest where we had to use a little 12 oz milk bottle full of water.

I built this "Fat Buoy" as a 24mm with plywood centering rings. I used the cardboard ones to attach the shock cord to the bottle with lots of epoxy.

It flew great, unfortunately, the delay went a bit long and the shock cord separated . The rocket landed under chute without a scratch, but the water bottle went kersplat. This is the new bottle. I plan to fly it again soon.

If I can find the pic, we also had a three fat boy drag race. I'll post the pic.

There is a guy in my club that flies one with a central 24mm, surrounded by four 18mm's inboard with eight strap on 18mm's for a total of 13 motors.

I'm also planning a two stage FB with a five motor cluster in the booster.

Fat boy's are fun to work with and with them $8.88 at wally world, they are a cheap date.

Back