My exciting return from a ten year break

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkytfl

Reaction score
Memorial day was traditionally a day spent at the park with my family launching rockets when I was a teen back in the 90s, so with it coming up, I had an urge to build a new one. I dont know why this year and not any other year though, it's been probably ten years.

I picked one that was big, wouldnt fly too high, and would likely come back, Big Bertha. Painted it the black I was used to seeing them (never had one though), but decided to make it a little more interesting with a sparkle black. I thought enough primer and sanding would fill the grain and the lines (the tube lines seem to be prefilled much better these days though), but some is still visible. Fins nice and straight, clearcoat looks great, no runs. Definitely the best one I've ever made. Here's a closeup of the finish.

rockets-010.jpg

Here it is next to my Estes Venom, the last and only remaining airworthy member of my original fleet made in maybe 99ish, and whats left of my Sidewinder from 96. The sidewinder lost the nose half in the late 90s, then got smashed in the garage, it's pretty obvious that I made it when I was 13 with how poorly finished it was.

rockets-005.jpg

I couldnt wait until memorial day to try out my new rocket, so I headed to the park with something old and something new. Had to open and clean all the contacts in my controller, and buy a new rod from lowes to replace the bent old one. Found a 24 engine variety box at Michaels and used a 40% coupon (still cost more than they did when I used to do this). Ready at the park:

rockets-015.jpg

Started with the Venom, with A8-3. A little low, not bad. Another, same thing.

snapshotvenom.jpg

B6-4 then another. About what I remembered. The second one sent it over some trees and a fence. Climbed under the fence, got it back, but dropped and broke my new $100 camera, so no pictures of Bertha launching. Managed not to swear in front of some kids. Decided not to risk a C.

The Bertha didnt seem to like b6-4s. Maybe 200 feet up, the parachute didnt unfold until under 100 feet above the parking lot, got a little worried. Same thing with another. Tried some c6-3 and c6-5. The 3 seemed about right, the 5 maybe a little late. The thing steered into the wind BAD. Like it went almost farther sideways than up, but returned to about where it started with the wind blowing the parachute. Until the sixth launch...

"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!......."

park.jpg

Well I did plan on it being the last one, to save some engines for next time. It's always that last one... Wind carried it hundreds of feet, landed 25 feet up in a pine tree. Nothing I could do, packed up and went home to look for a way to get it down. $25 plus another 10 in paint and hours of time building it, I'm not going to abandon it when it's right there for me to see. Back to the park, tried a huge wrench tied to some rope. Ripped the parachute from the shroud lines, got that back. Failed to get the rocket, and messed up my hand blocking a 25mm wrench from falling on my head. It was hanging there by the shock cord. I knew if I could hook something into the body tube I could pull it down. Duct taped a hook-shaped stick to an extendable golf-ball-grabber taped to a piece of ten food wire conduit. It wobbled like crazy but I managed to snag the body and bring it down, the shock cord snapping just inside the body, leaving the nose and most of the cord in the tree. A few tries got that back. Two hours and I got it all back. Small ding and paint chip at the top from the stick pulling at it, and a small ding on the bottom of a fin from the fall (lucky none broke off).

Definitely an interesting return to the hobby, though a big reminder of why I stopped in the first place. Wish I had gotten up early enough to go to the club launch, much bigger field there I bet. I do plan to keep doing this, hopefully build something big once I find a good park. I miss some of the o.o.p. kits from the 90s so I might make an upscale version of one. The Yellow Jacket was beautiful.

So does anybody have any tips to get an elmers-glued-in paper shock cord mount out of the tube so I can replace it?

I used a dremel flapper wheel last time I needed to replace a mount. note estes shock cords usually snap after about 2-3 days when exposed to the sun...:).
rex

Welcome back to the hobby!

Lots of folks have abandoned the tri-fold shock cord mounting in favor of using kevlar or steel leaders (walmart fishing aisle) wrapped around the motor mount. Avoids the glue bump in the body tube, and tends to be stronger.

Also consider a big spill hole in the parachute to let it descend faster. On a BB I might even use a big streamer (4"x40") if I'm planning to land it on grass.

Marc

PS: Paint looks great! Don't fuss over a few grain marks showing through. Beautiful. Decided not to use the decals? And, sorry about the camera..

Welcome back to the fold brother!
I'd just leave the the shock cord mount and whip up a new one. If it isn't too intrusive just pretend it isn't there.

I did replace the stock shock cord after seeing it's just a big rubber band these days. Used double the body length of sewing elastic. It seems strong, had to pull pretty hard to snap it to get the rocket back. The fishing swivel I used at the base of the shroud lines did a great job for the first five flights, I'd never done that before. I did read something about kevlar, but not until after the Bertha was mostly together.

You really think a streamer would be enough? It looked like it was coming down pretty fast even with the 18inch chute the couple times it landed nearby.

The decals it came with were for the retro yellow with orange letters. Reminds me of the old Banana Splits logo so I didnt use it. I grew up with them being black, but couldnt find a kit with those decals locally, and didnt want to mess with printing any. The paint did turn out great even without sealer. I'll try sealer on my "keeper"/good-weather-only kits, but this is definitely good enough for any cheaper/common ones.

I'll have to look into getting a dremel. Just spent more than enough on tools replacing a transmission last month though. Harbor Freight it will be.

First things first, welcome back to the hobby!

Yeah, the Bertha likes power. It's a light but draggy rocket for 18mm engines, and notoriously overstable. It probably won't fly past 700' on a Estes or Quest C6, and it does like 3 second delays. As you observed, 5 seconds is too long (and it's scary just how fast 5 seconds go past and you see your pride and joy going lawndart before the ejection charge goes off).

HOWEVER, they do fly very fast and high on D power, either on 18mm reloads or 24mm Estes engines. ;)

Like your other rockets. I would fix up the Sidewinder. Love the nose cone on the Venom.

Fixing my old Sidewinder might be beyond my abilities for now, I've actually never had to repair a broken through-the-tube fin. Plus the nose half is specialized. I did buy one on ebay last night though. We'll see how much better I can do building it being 16 years older. It was always my favorite. Flew slow and corkscrewed on the way up. Sadly it'll have to be limited to club launches or days with zero wind, because losing a 12 year oop rocket would suck. Same with my Venom. I didnt even realize it was only made for 97-98. Yeah that nose cone is pretty weird. I always have to be careful because the bump can interfere with the launch rod.

I think next step will be to build a few cheap/common ones. Alphas, Wizards, Vikings... Not stressing about losing rare or expensive ones will keep launch days actually fun. Probably a third of my original fleet was lost on maiden flights.

Back