My EV Experience

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically, the BA makes sure that the changes being made aren't going to step on each other, especially when you have large teams of developers working on the same code base.
Now this language surprises and confuses me. You're describing what a system architect or project software engineering lead does. A business analyst analyzes businesses; how the organization can be structured work most efficiently, what market segments to go after, stuff like that. For technical matters, once the product has been defined at the top level to meet business goals, the BA's job should be to stay the hell out of the way and let the brainiacs make it work.

Now this language surprises and confuses me. You're describing what a system architect or project software engineering lead does. A business analyst analyzes businesses; how the organization can be structured work most efficiently, what market segments to go after, stuff like that. For technical matters, once the product has been defined at the top level to meet business goals, the BA's job should be to stay the hell out of the way and let the brainiacs make it work.
It depends on the size/scope of the team. I'm a former developer that now works as a BA/PM for tech projects. Perhaps the label should be more like "Technical Product Analyst". The BA (or technical product analyst) takes the requirements from the product manager and breaks them down into features and tasks to be sent to individual developers. As I'm doing that, I'm defining the sprints for the work to be done in, and working with lead devs to make sure we're not stepping on anyones toes or killing any other related functionality.

We picked up our new Model Y on Friday.

I like it.

I still believe, as I stated earlier, that there should be more physical controls, buttons and knobs, to make adjustments with one action without taking my eyes off the road. And I haven't mastered coming to a stop on target smoothly, but I expect I'll get it.

2) the Model 3 is not small but it is very *low*. I find the seats to be extremely comfortable but it’s a bit of a chore to get out of. The Model Y is basically the same but sits higher and is much easier to get in and out of.
And I would likewise hit my head while sitting when I adjust my posture. (Y'know, yer butt slips forward and you recline a little, then you want to sit up straighter and have to bend forward a little to make the adjustment. And my head hits the sky light frame.)
The Y is definitely taller from seat to ceiling. No hitting my head if I try.

We picked up our new Model Y on Friday.
Congrats.
I still believe, as I stated earlier, that there should be more physical controls, buttons and knobs, to make adjustments with one action without taking my eyes off the road.
And I still agree. But you do get used to it.
And I haven't mastered coming to a stop on target smoothly, but I expect I'll get it.
It takes a bit of time train your foot to do one-pedal driving smoothly. You will get it. Trying to gauge exactly when to let off the pedal to achieve a stop at the correct location has become almost a game for me... I silently cheer for myself when I end up right at the stop line at the intersection. :)

It takes a bit of time train your foot to do one-pedal driving smoothly. You will get it. Trying to gauge exactly when to let off the pedal to achieve a stop at the correct location has become almost a game for me... I silently cheer for myself when I end up right at the stop line at the intersection. :)
Yeah, that's exactly the part I'm struggling with. Not just ending at the stop line, but doing it smoothly, since lifting my foot all the way all at once causes the car to brake pretty hard. But then, that takes a while for new drivers of gas-and-brake cars to get the hang of that too.

I've also discovered quickly that speeding is way too easy. On a good highway, with the car quiet and the ride smooth (but not mushy smooth) I think I'm driving along at a normal speed, only to find that I'm going 85. Cruise control is going to save me from multiple speeding tickets.

And speaking of cruise control, my biggest complaint other than the lack of controls is the way that autosteering and cruise control are linked. I'd be happy to try getting used to auto steering, but there's no way to separate the two. On Sunday, I was passing on a highway, but not passing fast enough for the liking of the next two or three cars behind me. So, as soon as I was done, I move into the right lane to let them pass. That meant pulling the steering wheel where auto steering wasn't expecting, so it switched off in order to let me take control, and suddenly my cruise control was gone too; of course my foot wasn't on the accelerator since my speed was being controlled automatically, so the car is immediately started braking. And similar sudden loss of cruise control happened a few time through the day. I changed a setting so the cruise control only regulates speed, but there's no way to turn autosteering on independently; it's speed only or both together.

And speaking of cruise control, my biggest complaint other than the lack of controls is the way that autosteering and cruise control are linked. I'd be happy to try getting used to auto steering, but there's no way to separate the two. On Sunday, I was passing on a highway, but not passing fast enough for the liking of the next two or three cars behind me. So, as soon as I was done, I move into the right lane to let them pass. That meant pulling the steering wheel where auto steering wasn't expecting, so it switched off in order to let me take control, and suddenly my cruise control was gone too; of course my foot wasn't on the accelerator since my speed was being controlled automatically, so the car is immediately started braking. And similar sudden loss of cruise control happened a few time through the day. I changed a setting so the cruise control only regulates speed, but there's no way to turn autosteering on independently; it's speed only or both together.
Hmm, that is not correct, although I can't say what you might be doing wrong. I'll look next time I'm in the car to see if I can figure it out. You can absolutely use TACC without autosteer. If you have regular (non-Enhanced) autopilot then changing lanes should disable autosteer but not TACC. And breaking out of autosteer is much easier (less steering wheel tug) if your turn signal is on.

Enhanced Autopilot is too expensive but it gives you automatic lane change (use your turn signal and it will change lanes for you automatically without exiting autosteer). This makes autosteer about 1000 times more useful since you're not constantly going in and out of it.

Yeah, that's exactly the part I'm struggling with. Not just ending at the stop line, but doing it smoothly, since lifting my foot all the way all at once causes the car to brake pretty hard. But then, that takes a while for new drivers of gas-and-brake cars to get the hang of that too.

I've also discovered quickly that speeding is way too easy. On a good highway, with the car quiet and the ride smooth (but not mushy smooth) I think I'm driving along at a normal speed, only to find that I'm going 85. Cruise control is going to save me from multiple speeding tickets.

The cruise control used to be seperate, but as they are getting closer to full self driving being realized they became linked. It would be nice to have just basic cruise without even adaptive speed control being incorporated, but I believe their thinking is use for that will be come further and further into edge cases as the car takes over for more miles driven for the average user.

As far as manual controls go, many are able to be completed with voice commands, and later this year you are likely to see a natural language interface rolled out so you will be able to have a conversation with your car where it better understands what you are actually trying to accomplish instead of us having to remember syntax to get what we want.

Voice command list

Hmm, that is not correct, although I can't say what you might be doing wrong. I'll look next time I'm in the car to see if I can figure it out. You can absolutely use TACC without autosteer.
Not if you have FSD. I'm not sure if he does or not.

OK, that probably solves the mystery. Yes, we have FSD, but only the free trial; we didn't want it really, and certainly wouldn't have paid for it. No, I didn't realize it could do the lane changes for me, and that's why I'm breaking out of it for that (and for times when I would ease into a curve earlier than the car does, so I do, so I've broken out, and I abruptly slow down).

[A]s they are getting closer to full self driving being realized...
For the record, in my book full self driving won't be realized (no matter what manufacturers call "Full Self Driving") until I can get into the car, enter a destination into the navigation system, and take a nap. Anything less is some level of driver assistance. I remain apprehensive about a very high level of driver assistance that's short of self driving, that it will make me unsafely complacent. You might call it the uncanny valley of self driving. There are driverless taxis on the streets of a couple of cities; I want that of far from that.

I also discovered this morning that I need to go into my profile's settings and adjust or turn off the heated steering wheel. OW!

OK, that probably solves the mystery. Yes, we have FSD, but only the free trial; we didn't want it really, and certainly wouldn't have paid for it. No, I didn't realize it could do the lane changes for me, and that's why I'm breaking out of it for that (and for times when I would ease into a curve earlier than the car does, so I do, so I've broken out, and I abruptly slow down).
Ah.

I am enjoying my month-long FSD trial. In many (most) situations it behaves very well. Even if you just use it on the highway it is like a super-nice cruise control. There are occasions where its behavior is stupid, and I rarely have a single drive without disengagements. I have screamed at it for its stupidity on a number of occasions (can do that when I'm the only one in the car). But I'll miss it when the trial is over.

I don't feel complacent at all with it, no more so than when I use enhanced autopilot. If you go in with the right mindset you're fine.

For the record, in my book full self driving won't be realized (no matter what manufacturers call "Full Self Driving") until I can get into the car, enter a destination into the navigation system, and take a nap.
Mark down August 8th on your calendar. :)

I also discovered this morning that I need to go into my profile's settings and adjust or turn off the heated steering wheel. OW!
Just tap the temperature on the screen and that will bring up the control that shows steering wheel heat.

Ah.

I am enjoying my month-long FSD trial. In many (most) situations it behaves very well. Even if you just use it on the highway it is like a super-nice cruise control. There are occasions where its behavior is stupid, and I rarely have a single drive without disengagements. I have screamed at it for its stupidity on a number of occasions (can do that when I'm the only one in the car). But I'll miss it when the trial is over.

I don't feel complacent at all with it, no more so than when I use enhanced autopilot. If you go in with the right mindset you're fine.
How does it compare to adaptive cruise control? My mazda 3 has the "adaptive cruise control" which adjusts speed and distance from the car ahead of you by monitoring it with sensors, and it has "traffic assist" up to 45mph which is similar to adaptive cruise control but gives the computer more control: self steering with the self braking/self acceleration. I love both features, but find adaptive features get a bit fussy when people can't stay in a lane or cut me off. Per usual, the "self driving" features are mostly great until other drivers are involved.

How does it compare to adaptive cruise control? My mazda 3 has the "adaptive cruise control" which adjusts speed and distance from the car ahead of you by monitoring it with sensors, and it has "traffic assist" up to 45mph which is similar to adaptive cruise control but gives the computer more control: self steering/self breaking/self acceleration. I love both features, but find adaptive features get a bit fussy when people can't stay in a lane or cut me off. Per usual, the "self driving" features are mostly great until other drivers are involved.
There really is no comparison. You put in your destination, the car drives you there and then stops at the destination. It makes turns, stops for lights and signs, yields, etc. You do have to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road right now and be ready in case it has an issue. For the past year the only thing I have really had to do with any regularity is press the accelerator a bit at stop signs because it waist a bit longer than I want to before it determines it's safe to proceed. Most interventions at this point are nolt safety related, but impatient human related.

This is a YouTuber filming in his own car...

Here is the same video but time compressed...

How does it compare to adaptive cruise control? My mazda 3 has the "adaptive cruise control" which adjusts speed and distance from the car ahead of you by monitoring it with sensors, and it has "traffic assist" up to 45mph which is similar to adaptive cruise control but gives the computer more control: self steering with the self braking/self acceleration. I love both features, but find adaptive features get a bit fussy when people can't stay in a lane or cut me off. Per usual, the "self driving" features are mostly great until other drivers are involved.
FSD in theory will take you from start to destination, including traffic lights, turns, everything. Enter your destination into the nav system and the car will take you there. In practice it does most of this stuff pretty well most of the time. I have found it reacts to unexpected behavior of other drivers pretty well. But other drivers do not always like the way FSD behaves, especially its frustratingly slow and cautious behavior when turning at a stop sign.

What you're describing is more like what Tesla calls autopilot. Advanced autopilot adds a couple of useful things like auto lane change (hold turn signal and the car will change lanes when it is safe) and navigate on autopilot (where it will choose correct branches on highways depending on nav destination).

Just tap the temperature on the screen and that will bring up the control that shows steering wheel heat.
OK, but not while I'm driving. And of course, I didn't know I wanted to until we were well under way. I'd happily hit a button or turn a dial if I could do it by feel, but not if I have to turn away from the road to hit a target on the screen. But that horse is well beaten.

There really is no comparison. You put in your destination, the car drives you there and then stops at the destination. It makes turns, stops for lights and signs, yields, etc. You do have to keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road right now and be ready in case it has an issue. For the past year the only thing I have really had to do with any regularity is press the accelerator a bit at stop signs because it waist a bit longer than I want to before it determines it's safe to proceed. Most interventions at this point are nolt safety related, but impatient human related.
Agree on the stop sign behavior. Drivers behind you especially do not appreciate it.

But you're doing better than I am in other areas. I find its lane change behavior on highways to be frequently baffling and on at least one occasion dangerous: I was coming up to my exit, and FSD decided it wanted to pass a car and moved into the left lane, so it had to move right multiple lanes at the last second to make the exit. I disengaged on that one and managed to do what I needed but it was really stupid.

Also I find it frequently wants to get into the passing lane but then hangs out there even when there's no one on the right and there are cars coming up behind. Fortunately you can compel it to change lanes with the turn signal without needing to disengage.

OK, but not while I'm driving. And of course, I didn't know I wanted to until we were well under way. I'd happily hit a button or turn a dial if I could do it by feel, but not if I have to turn away from the road to hit a target on the screen. But that horse is well beaten.
I haven't tried it, but try the voice command "Turn steering heat off".

I haven't tried it, but try the voice command "Turn steering heat off".
Yes, you can control almost everything in the car with voice. It works extremely well.

On the other hand, I don't particularly enjoy using voice commands for stuff like that. I use it all the time for audio, phone, and navigation.

Agree on the stop sign behavior. Drivers behind you especially do not appreciate it.

But you're doing better than I am in other areas. I find its lane change behavior on highways to be frequently baffling and on at least one occasion dangerous: I was coming up to my exit, and FSD decided it wanted to pass a car and moved into the left lane, so it had to move right multiple lanes at the last second to make the exit. I disengaged on that one and managed to do what I needed but it was really stupid.

Also I find it frequently wants to get into the passing lane but then hangs out there even when there's no one on the right and there are cars coming up behind. Fortunately you can compel it to change lanes with the turn signal without needing to disengage.
The highway stack is still last year's stack. By the end of July the same logic used for city streets should be applied to the highway, thus making it much better. we are currently on 12.3. 12.4 is due out in the next couple of weeks and 12.5 should be hitting before the end of July. That is the software that does away with the old highway stack. Should also be giving us actual smart summon and banish features too.

The highway stack is still last year's stack. By the end of July the same logic used for city streets should be applied to the highway, thus making it much better. we are currently on 12.3. 12.4 is due out in the next couple of weeks and 12.5 should be hitting before the end of July. That is the software that does away with the old highway stack. Should also be giving us actual smart summon and banish features too.
Well my free month will be over by then, so I guess I won't get to try it. 🤷‍♂️

I had that problem moving from a diesel Golf to the Leaf. I was consistently driving 10 mph faster than I intended for a few months.

Well, OK, but... If I keep the car for 10 years, at $99/month, that's $11,880. When I can buy it for a one time price I'll consider it, and that price better be WAY below $11,880.

Back