My epiphany (Rant/Ramble)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody Webster

Reaction score
I have been in and out of the model rocket hobby since I was about 8 years old. I am 29 now, and my interest in model rocketry has really grown in the last few years. My epiphany was this, last night as I was reading about rocketry clubs in different states, and looking at groups on facebook I realized, Our hobby is really small. There really arent many of us around!

I found this surprising, and even a bit disturbing. I am 29, and ya, I like to play video games once in a while and all, but I would rather build or go launch a rocket than waste my time on a video game. Rocketry is very tangible and applicable to me, more so than any other hobby I like. I enjoy racing rc cars, building models of all kinds, playing disc golf and of course Drums! But none of those activities have any real significance to the world. And our great country has played a huge roll in rocketry and space exploration. Americas past time baseball? How about model rocketry! Rocketry offers something many other hobbies dont, real scientific data and research! (Even if you arent into that side of the hobby)

I remember being a kid and going to hobby lobby with my mom, as she looked around you could find me on the aisle of models and rockets, googly eyed over all the awesome car models and rockets. Now that Im older I can afford those goodies!

The funny thing is, its almost taboo in a way. You mean, I can build this rocket and launch it into the air, and this is legal?!?! Well sign me up!

I guess what Im saying, is that Im really surprised how small of a hobby rocketry is. I would assume most people if you asked them, does building a rocket and shooting it off sound like fun to you? Wouldnt most people say YES! I am curious what the future of this hobby looks like, I hope a resurgence is just around the corner. Whatever happens, I am glad we have forums, clubs, and associations we can join and share our passion for rocketry with.

Last edited:
I’m glad it’s small. To me that’s part of the allure. I understand where you are coming from though. None of my friends around me are into rocketry and the friends I have here just glaze over if I say anything about rocketry. I do agree that we need to keep our numbers up and invite fresh blood in.

But the bright side is that I get to get away from that when I go to a launch. I enjoy the small town type atmosphere where everyone is friendly.

I’ve been interviewing for jobs lately. I’ve always made sure my one page resume had something “unique” on it, to help people remember my CV over other applicants.

So in this round, I’ve added a line that says: “and I also build and fly high powered rockets...”

4 our of 4 interviews, people want to talk more about the rockets for the first 10mins than anything else.

When I dropped it into the conversation on the 5th interview, one interviewer actually said: “oh! I’m so glad you mentioned it... I really wanted to know more about this rocketry thing!”

It’s definitely been a good ice breaker!!

I like that it is a fairly small hobby. I think that it probably needs to grow a little though. Our most recent launch we had the largest turn out since ..well before I joined the club. Had a couple L1 and L2 flights. I saw a few new faces.

It makes for a more interesting resume for sure. Around here when asked about hobbies it's the same old stale answer. "I like to hunt and fish", yawn. You can actually see the disinterest on their faces when they ask the question during an interview because they are expecting the same answer. But when I throw out "I build and fly high power rockets...and brew my own beer" I just gave them something different to remember me by.

Sure on the sidelines most folks talk hunting and fishing or <shivers> pro sports, but a picture of a rocket lifting off beats a boring selfie of some dude in a deerstand any day.

I tell all my friends and workmates about my hobby. I am into HPR, the bigger, the better. I show them pictures and talk about exciting launches. We had the record-breaking Mercury Redstone launch recently.

To date, I have gotten very few people to come to a launch, and none of them has expressed any interest other than as a one-time spectator. I don't know how I could cheerlead any better than I do. But I find that most people just aren't interested. :(

I tell all my friends and workmates about my hobby. I am into HPR, the bigger, the better. I show them pictures and talk about exciting launches. We had the record-breaking Mercury Redstone launch recently.

To date, I have gotten very few people to come to a launch, and none of them has expressed any interest other than as a one-time spectator. I don't know how I could cheerlead any better than I do. But I find that most people just aren't interested. :(

I’ve had most success in inviting people with kids and providing a few small 18mm MDs for their kids to fly... that’s usually enough to get a return visit or two...

Dont get me wrong, I do like that it is a small hobby. But there are a few things that concern me a little bit. There seems to be a pretty large age gap (at least around here). Not as many people in the 15 to 35yr age range. This could be different in your location but thats how it is around here. I have 3 hobby lobby's all within 15 min drive from me and slowly but surely each year the model rocketry selection gets smaller and smaller. This is non issue as we can order online or at launches, but it does tell me that public interest is probably getting smaller, and demand for a good selection is dwindling.

Last edited:
I’ve had most success in inviting people with kids and providing a few small 18mm MDs for their kids to fly... that’s usually enough to get a return visit or two...
Been there, done that. MDRA even has a bucket of rockets and motors that kids can fly free of charge. I have had two families attend a launch each. One of them also went with us to a local park for a private launch. But sports, visits to grandma, and the like are always in the way of a return. The other family has said they would go again, but there is always something else more important happening.

We have invited two other families that just never put us on the priority list. Maybe someday.

I think if I could pick up their kids and take them with us, we might get a better response (parents like to get time to themselves!); but, we don't have room in our van. It's an hour+ drive to the launch site, porta-potties and no running water, etc.

I think some people are just born rocket-lovers, and others are not. "It's cool," but not cool enough to invest time or money in. People always like looking at my pictures, and they usually ask questions; but when invite them to a launch, there is always an excuse.

I also assume most of thr younger croud are there by association ie their parents/grandparents fly rocketry so they are there by default. Not that theres anything wrong with that and Im sure they love it. Just saying it would be nice if the roles were reversed, young people get into rocketry and bring their family/friends into rocketry.

Dont get me wrong, I do like that it is a small hobby. But there are a few things that concern me a little bit. There seems to be a pretty large age gap (at least around here). Not as many people in the 15 to 35yr age range. This could be different in your location but thats how it is around here. I have 3 hobby lobby's all within 15 min drive from me and slowly but surely each your the model rocketry selection gets smaller and smaller. This is non issue as we can order online or at launches, but it does tell me that public interest is probably getting smaller, and demand for a good selection is dwindling.
I can see people's point of view. You load the rocket; it goes up; a chute pops out; it floats down. That's all there is to it. I happen to love that, and I can do it over and over again. But it never really gets any different.

It is the building that is the part that is more intricate and hobby-like. But it takes time and patience, neither of which people have very much of.

Another thing is, and correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that more rocket companys close down than open up. We have had several companys close down this year and previous years. The hardest for me is Fliskits (I know he isnt closing due to customer base). Borealis, Decim8, and grissom are some seriously good looking rockets. Luckily I got a big order in before he closed the website. I hate that any company would have to close because of lack of customers and it would be awesome to see a few new companys with new ideas and products in the market.

Last edited:
Been there, done that. MDRA even has a bucket of rockets and motors that kids can fly free of charge. I have had two families attend a launch each. One of them also went with us to a local park for a private launch. But sports, visits to grandma, and the like are always in the way of a return. The other family has said they would go again, but there is always something else more important happening.

We have invited two other families that just never put us on the priority list. Maybe someday.

I think if I could pick up their kids and take them with us, we might get a better response (parents like to get time to themselves!); but, we don't have room in our van. It's an hour+ drive to the launch site, porta-potties and no running water, etc.

I think some people are just born rocket-lovers, and others are not. "It's cool," but not cool enough to invest time or money in. People always like looking at my pictures, and they usually ask questions; but when invite them to a launch, there is always an excuse.
Building the rockets is the funnest part of the whole experience for me. We are Men (and some Woman) we cut plywood, balsa, work with fiberglas, paint etc... I understand its not for everyone, and I dont think it should be. I just hope the market doesnt continue to decrease. Plateu or a little growth is what I would like to see.

Not as many people in the 15 to 35yr age range.

Bingo. You've hit on a demographic challenge that this hobby will never be able to solve.

Here's the typical rocketry activity profile:

1) Flies rockets as a kid
2) Participation drops off around age 14-16 due to interest in the opposite (usually) sex
3) College and/or employment
4) Marriage and kids
5) Kids grow up, Dad is reintroduced to the hobby when kids are 7-10 years old

How old is Dad when #5 happens? About 35, give or take a few years.

You will never, never, never be able to change the impact of events 2 through 4 on that timeline. The best our hobby can do is to make sure that we can help the youngsters have a good experience when they are young, and be ready to welcome them in their thirties when they come back. History has shown that the #1 way a group can attract new members is to offer access to a place to fly. So, if you want to help the hobby attract new members of all ages and interest levels, go look for more flying fields.

(Disclaimer: I am a real, honest-to-goodness marketing stooge.)

James

Last edited:
Bingo. You've hit on a demographic challenge that this hobby will never be able to solve.

2) Participation drops off around age 14-16 due to interest in the opposite (usually) sex
4) Marriage and kids

You will never, never, never be able to change the impact of events 2 through 4 on that timeline. The best our hobby can do is to make sure that we can help the youngsters have a good experience when they are young, and be ready to welcome them in their thirties when they come back. History has shown that the #1 way a group can attract new members is to offer access to a place to fly. So, if you want to help the hobby attract new members of all ages and interest levels, go look for more flying fields.

James

You left of the next chapter.

6) participation drops off when kids get to be 14-16. Same reason.

7) kids go to college and get married

7) kids get married and have grandkids.

8) grandkids grow up and dad and grandpa are reintroduced to the hobby. But now grandpa has enough disposable income that high power is part of the deal.

Joe

then you have the strange people like me. Other than a Vashon Industries rocket I flew a few times while growing up in the 60s' that I had, I never did model rocketry. I did tape CO2 cartridges to arrows and launched those... The first rockets I flew were Aerotech rockets in 1990 or so. If I had known high power rocketry existed, I would have jumped into it earlier. A work colleague introduced me to it. I have had my ups and down through the years, but the constant for me was enjoying rocketry and I still do.

If not sex, then what? Wondering what the unusual "opposite(s)" might be? <smile>

It isn't much of a puzzle. Hobbies are expensive and time consuming. You need time and disposable income to play. In North America, more middle aged, middle class, white men have little extra money and a little spare time than do folks in other demographics. (and yes, I know we are all broke, and we all worked very hard for what little we have)

There is also the fact that -- in the industrialized world -- middle aged, middle income, men tend to be socially isolated away from work and require some kind of excuse to get out of the house and talk to people once in awhile.

(To the 29 y.o. OP -- congratulations on being developmentally advanced <smile>. The smart phone generation is going to get to loneliness and despair much younger than did any previous generation. Expect a surge of 30-something rocketeers in the next decade)

My kid brought me back to rocketry, but I was ready for something other than home repair and furniture-making to do in the shop. Work doesn't offer the challenges that it once did. I am too old to go out to clubs (the kind of pub crawls I routinely executed in my 20s and 30s would be lethal now). I wanted a reason to practice some of the stuff that I don't need to do anymore, and I wanted an opportunity to learn new things.

If it hadn't been this, it would have been something else -- and there are LOTS of somethings else that might have captured my attention (and time and money).

The surprising thing to me is the way this very small population of rocketeers falls at an intersection of communities that do not seem otherwise to intersect. There are folks I know through rocketry who are well outside my usual demographic cohort.

4) Marriage and kids

James
Ya that makes a lot of sense. My wife and I arent able to have kids, so I guess I skip over a lot of those things that keep people in my age range away from the hobby. On the other hand, I just stepped away from rc racing pretty heavily, and Rc and Disc Golf is almost nothing but people in that 15 to 35yr age gap. Maybe it just takes a special kind of person to be passionate about rocketry.

I fly with a lot of college kids and once they graduate, they don’t have the time or money. Have also seen many 50 & 60 year olds just get frustrated from losing rockets be it a cato or just lost it along with the money they’ve invested. It’s frustrating & many give it up. On top of that Florida weather in summer is brutal.

Have also seen many 50 & 60 year olds just get frustrated from losing rockets be it a cato or just lost it along with the money they’ve invested. It’s frustrating & many give it up.

being one of those in the 60 year old category, there are only two things that frustrate me about rocketry - missing a launch because of other things I have to do and waiting for my rocket to launch off a pad... :)

then you have the strange people like me. Other than a Vashon Industries rocket I flew a few times while growing up in the 60s' that I had, I never did model rocketry. I did tape CO2 cartridges to arrows and launched those... The first rockets I flew were Aerotech rockets in 1990 or so. If I had known high power rocketry existed, I would have jumped into it earlier. A work colleague introduced me to it. I have had my ups and down through the years, but the constant for me was enjoying rocketry and I still do.
I'm in this bucket, I was investigating VLD bullet shapes, leading to nosecones, leading to a drag race video. Zap! I was hooked.

Last edited:
Its not just rocketry. Many of the hobbies are hurting. A number of hobby shops have closed. The number of people who want to spend the time to actually build anything (be it a model rocket, car or airplane) is diminishing.

There are lots of hobbies that have been hurt by modern technology. Kids would rather sit on the couch and play video games than get engaged with reality. Even books, or rather literature, has changed. There used to be several used book stores in town (it's a college town). One was even run by the wife of a local rocket guy. I think there's one left, and it's not doing very well. E-readers like the Nook and Kindle are killing off the dead tree book market. And it's understandable. I could put my entire library (several thousand books) on a chip the size of my thumbnail. Want to buy a good set of encyclopedias?

Last edited:
Want to buy a good set of encyclopedias?

Why? I have Wikipedia with all its unconfirmed "facts and history", at least the encyclopedia's were vetted before printing and if an error was discovered after printing the publisher printed a volume of errata to make sure that the error was fixed.

Why? I have Wikipedia with all its unconfirmed "facts and history", at least the encyclopedia's were vetted before printing and if an error was discovered after printing the publisher printed a volume of errata to make sure that the error was fixed.
https://web.archive.org/web/20061105172011/https://www.nature.com/nature/britannica/index.html

tl;dr
-- The average quality of a Wikipedia article is lower than the average quality of a Brittanica article due primarily to how many articles Wikipedia has
-- For topics where both have an article on the same subject, they're likely about as good as each other
-- For the most-read and most-edited articles on Wikipedia, they show fewer errors and less bias than any other 'pedia
-- If someone is using any 'pedia for anything serious they should instead check out the references

Latest posts

Back