My entry into mid power

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDawg

Reaction score
Moving up to E power and launched the 3rd version of my E-12-6 min Diameter mini Rocket today. Some said it would never fly but it couldn't have been straighter, even with 16 mph winds. Version 4 will be a little taller with smaller fins or a one piece plastic fin unit. My field isn't huge and I'll be launching C engines mostly but the sight and sound of the E-12 is something I need to experience once in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 39
Nice! Congratulations.

If you have a small field and want to use larger motors, you can step up to larger diameter rockets. Keeping rockets low is as much about drag as it is about weight, so you can keep them lower by making them fatter.

Another next step could be to try out a composite motor, like an Aerotech single-use E20. Most midpower involves AP composite motors, so an E20 would be a good place to start getting used to it. And if you like ROAR, then AP is going to be your thing.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am building larger rockets for the most part from now on but Min Diameter throw aways will always be part of my fleet. It doesn't hurt losing a rocket if you don't expect to get it back. Scratch builds are cheap so I'm all good. I wished I knew how high that thing flew, I caught a faint flash from the chrome painted fins after the thrust stopped and the 6 foot streamer flickered a time or two but that was it
. The rocket in my profile pic didn't fly as well but it also was fun.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am building larger rockets for the most part from now on but Min Diameter throw aways will always be part of my fleet. It doesn't hurt losing a rocket if you don't expect to get it back. Scratch builds are cheap so I'm all good. I wished I knew how high that thing flew, I caught a faint flash from the chrome painted fins after the thrust stopped and the 6 foot streamer flickered a time or two but that was it
. The rocket in my profile pic didn't fly as well but it also was fun.
I find it harder to lose rockets when I don't expect to get them back. Doesn't stop me from trying!

Back