My Eleanor. Estes Black Brant II #1958

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what it is worth, I posted a plastic parts set for the BBII on Thingiverse to 3D print the nose, boat tail and wasp waist. There are also parametric versions on OpenSCAD so you can scale the parts up or down. The nose and tail are easy enough to make from paper, but that wasp waist is tough - 3D printing it works well!

Just last week I found out my local library has a new Makerbot 5th gen 3D printer :eyepop: They charge 5 cents per minute for printing. This may be a good first test... Something to check your local library for. If they don't have one, suggest they get one.

Oh really? How well do they compare to the original parts? And are these based on the Estes parts?

Yes, I modeled them from the specs for the Estes parts. The stl files are correct for the 24mm powered BT-55 based BBII. Obviously, scaling up or down will change the interior diameters, and you may want to change the OpenSCAD files to take care of this (either for thinner walls to use lest plastic or to change to a different motor mount size.

Just last week I found out my local library has a new Makerbot 5th gen 3D printer :eyepop: They charge 5 cents per minute for printing. This may be a good first test... Something to check your local library for. If they don't have one, suggest they get one.

Understand that 3D printing is usually a rather slow process. If I remember correctly, it took over an hour to print the wasp waist on my Bukito printer. Obviously, different makes and models will print at different speeds an may print faster or slower.

This has been a bad week. We had to put my dog to sleep yesterday and the combination of comforting him and trying to save him before making the decision to let him go before it became suffering has left me drained. I got a little garage time in yesterday to help take my mind off things but didn't get much done. Eleanor has some primer on and I'm working on getting some parts smoothed out before proceeding with paint.

This has been a bad week. We had to put my dog to sleep yesterday and the combination of comforting him and trying to save him before making the decision to let him go before it became suffering has left me drained. I got a little garage time in yesterday to help take my mind off things but didn't get much done. Eleanor has some primer on and I'm working on getting some parts smoothed out before proceeding with paint.

Sorry to hear about your loss! Always difficult losing a pet...

My condolences are with you and your family. I know all too well how you feel. Take your time, Eleanor will be waiting patiently.

Got the nose section painted and the white laid down on the body. I'll let the white cure this week while on my trip before masking it for the black layer.

20160124_203833.jpg

Awesome thread! Yet another childhood favorite that eluded me and a definite candidate for a re-release.

Black paint on the fins turned out great! Decals are next, and I have no shortage of apprehension about them. Going slowly and methodically will be key.

20160130_170522.jpg

Black paint on the fins turned out great! Decals are next, and I have no shortage of apprehension about them. Going slowly and methodically will be key.
I'll second the motion... Those turned out better than any of mine did "back in the day".

Looking forward to seeing it completed! :cheers:

My 2.6" Madcow version is completely built. I'm thinking about a Stickershock wrap, but painting that pattern myself would be amazing. But, like you, I'm very apprehensive. I'm looking forward to seeing yours completed!

I may have an opportunity to paint the pattern in the near future......

With good quality masking tape, it would probably not be too bad to do. You can work on placing the masking tape until it's perfect.

You're right. Not too bad, but tedious. I don't like tedious. Lol

Starting from the bottom up. I was horrified to discover these stickers are not waterslide, but actual peel and stick. Ho boy.....

20160130_211204.jpg

The Estes Black Brant II is supposed to weigh in at 2.3 ounces. This weight, combined with 1000' shots and the stock 18" parachute, is a recipe for losing the rocket from excessive drift. A 12" parachute would probably work, but I decided on a 15" parachute for Eleanor. First flights will be on a C11-5, which should easily keep it within the confines of our field, so I'll be able to gauge descent rate with the 15" parachute before trying something smaller.

20160131_105006.jpg

Last edited:
A sneak peak at a little side project I'm working on. More to come on that later.......

20160131_111309.jpg

To borrow a line from Hattori Hanzo in Kill Bill Vol.1, "I can tell you with no ego, this is my finest rocket". When I start a project, I always have a vision of how it will turn out. Very seldom does that vision become reality. In this case, I am stunned by how well Eleanor turned out. In describing the Ferrari lineup, Jeremy Clarkson opined that not all Ferraris are beautiful. Striking, yes, but not necessarily beautiful. Beauty is completely subjective and in the eye of the beholder. I would, however, challenge anyone to say the design of the Black Brant II is anything but "striking". To me, this rocket is both striking and beautiful. So much so, that I can barely take my eyes off the finished result. To be completed properly, this kit requires patience and a keen eye. The result, though, is one worthy of a spot on my display shelf. Enjoy the finish photos.

20160131_105207.jpg

20160131_105219.jpg

20160131_105240.jpg

20160131_105247.jpg

20160131_105305.jpg

20160131_105325.jpg

20160131_105356.jpg

20160131_105416.jpg

20160131_105510.jpg

Bravo! Very well done. She looks fantastic. Now the question is, will she ever fly?

She'll fly. Probably just on a C11-5, but she needs to go up at least once. This is a good time of year to do so, as the grass at our field is green and soft. I'll get video of the flight. Man I wish these things weren't getting harder to come by.

The BB came out great and I especially like that group shot. It appears you have some aptitude for this rocket building stuff. :cheers:

Absolutely awesome. I'll be watching. The Black Brant II is without a doubt my favorite rocket. I've never had an Estes version, but Santa brought me a Madcow 2.6" fiberglass version that is in the build process. Can't wait to see Eleanor take shape and blast off into the clear blue sky.

You know they make a 5.5" too now, right? Perfect for L3! I know, I know, I am a bad influence.

Hope to see that one too, as this one here is shaping up great.

You know they make a 5.5" too now, right? Perfect for L3! I know, I know, I am a bad influence.

Yes sir, well aware. I've been drooling over the 5.5" for a while. But that price tag...ouch.

Well aware. I saw a DARS video with one in it. Drool.....

However, going in the opposite direction might prove interesting as well.....

Well aware. I saw a DARS video with one in it. Drool.....

However, going in the opposite direction might prove interesting as well.....

Oh absolutely. Yours is gorgeous, by the way. My painting skill is improving but nothing like that.

Back