My "D" powered Fat Boy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Well, I've had this one done for a week or so but just haven't got around to posting pics.

As the title of the thread suggests, this one is upgraded for D power.

As per our discussions in this forum, I went with the blue and yellow paint scheme.

Here's a pic taken with the flash:

I am very pleased with the blue paint. I used Rust-Oleum "Metallic" #7251 cobalt blue metallic, and regular Krylon yellow for the fins. That rust-oleum stuff is genius! Dries super fast, covers super easy, applies very smooth and even.

Here's a pic without the flash.

very nice. my next FB will be blue and yellow.
I just can't decide what color to paint what.

that metallic blue cobalt is a nice looking paint.....reminds me of an old testors color metallic sapphire blue....good job

Looking good, Forecheck, looking good. You'll love the FB on a D engine!!:D

bmhiii

Looks GREAT Dude....once again I find myself left behind in the dust...
My "D" powered FAT BOY is complete but I haven't had a decent opportunity to paint... Hope you like yellow, 'cause that's what it's gonna be...!!! LOL

My advice on finishing this one - just be careful when masking the body tube before any paint is applied.

Frankly, I'm very disappointed with Estes' larger tubes on their new kits - including the Fat Boy (sam problem on the Big Daddy.) Anyway, it isn't coated with any kind of wax or anything. It's just bare paper, so when you mask it, and then remove the masking tape, you get the dad-gummed "fuzzies." You know - just take a piece of tape and stick it on a piece of cardboard and remove. You'll see what I mean.

I had to prime and sand and prime and sand 3 times just to get rid of the fuzzies from my masking job applying the sanding sealer.

The other major disappointement was the extraordinarily deep spiral groove. More like a canyon than a groove. I never have taken the time to fill spirals on any rocket I've built, but this is the first one where I truly wish I would have.

If I were to build another one, I'd ditch the TTW fins altogether and that stock body tube with it, and replace it with a nice tube from totally tubular or BMS or somewhere else.

However, with all of that said, I think it turned out rather nice. Big, gigantic body tube spiral canyon and all. ;)

And one more thing: Can we please get rid of these God-forsaken cheapo peel-and-stick decals?!! They are HORRIBLE to work with!

*VIVE LE WATERSLIDES!! VIVE LE WATERSLIDES!!*

Fore Check, I second the cheap Estes FB body tube.

Funny thing is you can buy a 2 pack of Estes BT-80 tubes that are pretty nice.
I just use that in place of stock FB tube and ditch the TTW fin layout. CA the fins in place, then 5 min epoxy filets. Never had one come off or even loose.;)

OK! You guys can stop complaining about the body tubes!

Totally Tubular. https://www.wooshrocketry.org/misc/tt.htm

Now has the 3 Big Daddy/NCr tube listed as a T-100 tube for $7 for a 34" length.

He also now has a NEW heavy duty BT-80 size tube the T-80H.

Same as the BT-80 but twice as thick...almost (.41" versus .21")

sandman

It may have started with the frustration as a child...never getting them right or maybe they're breaking before I could get them right...I hardly ever use decals...too much trouble I guess...I much prefer simple clean paint jobs....( in a pessimistic frame...they're gonna crash anyway...LOL)

that paint is really nice (the blue), do you know if you can mask it off? I am thinking of using it on a rocket I am building , also can you clear coat it. Lastly, does it hold its color or scuff like other metallics?

First, Fore Check - nice looking bird!

Second, anyone interested in metallic paints should try Plasti-Kote's Metal Flake spray paint. You can find it at most automotive stores (at least around here). If you like Krylon (I do) you will like this paint. Plasit-Kote makes red, blue and black metal flake AND a metal flake clear coat that is great.

Originally posted by Ryan S.
that paint is really nice (the blue), do you know if you can mask it off? I am thinking of using it on a rocket I am building , also can you clear coat it. Lastly, does it hold its color or scuff like other metallics?

1. Yes, you can mask it. It seems pretty durable, I haven't had the scuffs on it yet.

2. Apparently, you can clear coat it. On the directions on the can (and I'm working from memory now because the can is at home and I'm at work) it says specifically "For an even glossier finish, use Rustoleum *some trade name* Gloss Clear." I have never looked into the Rustoleum gloss clear, but I imagine that if you found it and determined it to be either acrylic, enamel, or lacquer, and just stayed with your own clear as long as it was the same (acrylic, enamel, or lacquer) and you'd be just fine. I have not clear coated my Fat Boy. Yet. :cool:

Originally posted by Fore Check
I am very pleased with the blue paint. I used Rust-Oleum "Metallic" #7251 cobalt blue metallic, and regular Krylon yellow for the fins.
[...]

Looks good! I've used the Rustoleum blue metallic -- it is great. I really like the green metallic, too. These are the easiest metallics to apply that I've found.

BTW -- I bought the Folk Art aerosol sealer you recommended. Used a 40% off coupon at Michael's.

The 6 oz was $4.49 list price, I think. The 12 oz. can I bought was 6.79 list price, so it came to $4.07 -- not too bad.

I forgot about this thread!

Good news on the sanding sealer. Have you tried it yet?

I forgot to mention: I apply all the balsa first (you know, shape it and then glue it to the rocket) and then mask off the tube around the balsa and then apply.

On the Fat Boy - it got its maiden flight on a D12-5 on Sunday. Nice up-and-down with an 18" ripstop Thrustline chute. (You've *got* to get some of Thrustline's ripstop chutes if you haven't yet. Any size; 12", 18", 24" - they're all great!)

The 5 second delay might have been a tad long, as it had arced past apogee before ejection, but no harm done. I've got 4 or 5 feet of 1/4" flat elastic shock cord on it, attached via kevlar through the forward plywood centering ring.

I also added quite a bit of nose weight - nearly an ounce. It flew staight as an arrow angled somewhat steeply into the 10-15 mph wind. The 18" chute was a perfect match the way I have it built.

On the Fat Boy - it got its maiden flight on a D12-5 on Sunday. Nice up-and-down with an 18" ripstop Thrustline chute. (You've *got* to get some of Thrustline's ripstop chutes if you haven't yet. Any size; 12", 18", 24" - they're all great!)

Thanks. I am currently seeking a few brave souls who are willing to sky dive and take inflight photos....any takers?:D

Originally posted by Fore Check
And one more thing: Can we please get rid of these God-forsaken cheapo peel-and-stick decals?!! They are HORRIBLE to work with!

*VIVE LE WATERSLIDES!! VIVE LE WATERSLIDES!!*

I have found that soaking them in slightly soapy water, after you remove them from the paper, makes them easier to work with.

Originally posted by Steward

Looks GREAT Dude....once again I find myself left behind in the dust...
My "D" powered FAT BOY is complete but I haven't had a decent opportunity to paint... Hope you like yellow, 'cause that's what it's gonna be...!!! LOL

Well...Iguess better really, really late than never...!!!

Back