My crazy idea

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A long time ago I also played with this, and tried to make the whole thing look 'scale' complete with pilot separation. I tried putting the motors up through the seat pan at the pilot's hips but they were difficult to disguise as anything that looked like it really belonged as part of an ejection seat. And two motors spread apart were a royal booger to make fly straight (the slightest difference in ignition timing sent the thing spinning). To get any kind of upward flight at all I had to add ballast in the seat behind the pilot's head, and extend the bottom edges of the seat in a thoroughly non-scale fashion. I was not happy with my results.

You have chosen a truly tough little project!

I was reading this at work and trying really hard not to just bust out laughing. I love the toilet idea!!! Jim's chair rocket was very cool prowler, I wish I could have seen the flight. Maybe after you fix it it will look something like this...

From the website you linked to, prowlerguy:

> The rocket thrust is aimed through the <i><b>expected</b></i> center of gravity of the seat/man mass.< <i>(Italics mine)</i>

Sounds like its describing your project! :p Serioiusly, though, when you do get it licked it'll cause a lot of buzz in the rocketry world... or at least here on TRF!

Originally posted by Max_Power004
Maybe after you fix it it will look something like this...

Hey Max_Power004, I think that picture may not be an accurate photo of an ejection seat. I think it looks more like someone who just had a big dinner of Tex-Mex?

Kind of reminds me that it's been a while since I've been to Don Pablo's.

Now this is something I wasnt expecting to see , an ejection seat !!

Martin Baker , a name I know , indirectly through my father whos trade in the Royal Air Force ( thats the worlds best air force BTW ) was an armourer.

As well as getting to strap all sorts of death bringing weaponry to all manner of aircraft another role of the trade is to service ejection seats , its pyrotechnic nature placing it within the armourers realm.

Whilst I dont recall any incident where a seat serviced directly by my Dad being was ever fired in anger a few seats that have passed through his section certainly have. The traditional reward for a successful ejection of a sections seat is a donated keg of beer from the escaping pilot , a tradition that as far as I know is still honoured. The penalties for being responsible for a failed seat requires no imagination however.

Whilst my Dad isnt into my new found hobby of rocketry Ill see if he'll will cast his gaze over your brilliant project, may well generate some feedback !

Paul

Back