My Colonial Viper Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mperdue

Reaction score
I've always wanted to build a flying model of the Colonial Viper from the original Battlestar Galactica. There are a couple of build threads going on in various forums around the web so I decided to put my thread here to keep it separate from them.

I've decided to take a different approach for my model because I didn't like the fuselage being a simple tube with a nose cone hacked off at an angle. I decided to combine the techniques that I used for building R/C planes years ago with the ones I use to build my rockets. The first step is shown in the attached photo. Next, I'll use some thin balsa sheets to cover the fusealge from former to former to give it something that I hope will look more like the original design used on the TV show.

Mario

viper01.jpg

This will be an interesting build to follow!:) Nice looking 'formers'..You could also use 1/64" ply for the skin as well(at least I think that is what it is- when Blackjack was over a few weeks ago working on MMX's with me he made his fins for his rocket out of it, it is pliable, yet still surprisingly sturdy)...

The 1/64" ply would probably be a better choice. I decided to go with the balsa because I have a fair amount of it left over from a previous build. So far, everything is being built from scraps that I have laying around but that will change before I'm finished.

Mario

I've started skinning the beast. This will be the first of two layers that will cover the fuselage.

viper02.jpg

cool idea!

I wonder if some 1/8 stringers between the formers would benefit the skinning.
The thin balsa may be kinda spongy without a few supports lengthwise.

hard to tell from the photo

cool idea!

I wonder if some 1/8 stringers between the formers would benefit the skinning.
The thin balsa may be kinda spongy without a few supports lengthwise.

hard to tell from the photo
Stringers would be a great idea if I was only covering with a single layer of balsa. In my case the balsa will be saturated with epoxy then covered with another layer of balsa or fiberglass. That surface will be filled and smoothed for painting.

Mario

I'm assuming that at some point, you'll install a coupler for the nose section?

-Kevin

Wasn't sure if you planned a plug of some sort, or just a coupler.
It will also be plugged. I don't want all that air going through the rocket and blowing out the motor... :)

Mario,

I got your reply,(thats why I'm here now), Any more work done? Pic's?

Daniel

Here are today's photos. The main part of the forward fuselage is starting to come together.

viper03.jpg

viper04.jpg

Okay, what's the magic hole in the bottom for? Landing gear?

-Kevin
It's actually a magic hole on the side -there's one on the opposite side too. There will be some nernies in there that look to be part of the weapon systems on the original model. I suppose it could be part of the toilet too...

I say neener, neener, neener!
Thats close to nernies, nernies, nernies!
I like it!

Did you learn this down in the silo?

nernies, nernies, nernies!

Your it!

Daniel

Oh BTW, Klateu, Brata, Nicteau!

Last edited:
I say neener, neener, neener!
Thats close to nernies, nernies, nernies!
I like it!

Did you learn this down in the silo?

nernies, nernies, nernies!

Your it!

Daniel

Oh BTW, Klateu, Brata, Nicteau!
That's Klaatu Barada Nikto
:)

Mario

A little more done. The fuselage is now roughed out along with the nose cone. Now I need to do some putty and sanding work to smooth things out.

viper05.jpg

Well Gort...I stand corrected!
It is still one of my favorite movies...The original, not the remake!

And when you're finished with the Viper, you could always put a mini Drunken Kara Thrace hanging out of the cockpit like she's about to barf.

(Loved NuBSG but sometimes Starbuck's behaviour just got on my nerves...)

Back