My Cape Byron Rocketry Apanina Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered an Apanina from Cape Byron Rocketry sort of publicly on the What did you do rocket wise today? thread, so I feel I should share the build. The shipping packaging held up, but was slightly crushed, although well protected with plastic wrap. No damage to anything in the box, the quality of the components is very good and the instructions very thorough. There are several features that make this an interesting build- rear eject, X-15 layout of the wings and stabilizers and included templates for papering the rear fins.

IMG_0863.jpgIMG_0864.jpgIMG_0865.jpgIMG_0866.jpgIMG_0867.jpgIMG_1238.jpgIMG_1239.jpgIMG_1240.jpgIMG_1241.jpg

The bulkhead is glued in, using the nose cone to locate it properly. Don't forget it's rear eject, so attach the kevlar tether and install it screw eye down. While that dries, add the clay nose weight- after jamming it in, I set it in a mug of boiling water just to help it settle into place...

IMG_1379.jpgIMG_1381.jpgIMG_1382.jpgIMG_1383.jpgIMG_1384.jpgIMG_1385.jpgIMG_1387.jpgIMG_1389.jpgIMG_1393.jpgIMG_1395.jpg

Of course, I need to cut out the fin guides as well prior to attaching the bits. After I eventually replaced my knife blade it became significantly easier... :angiefavorite: A verification the rear fins fit behind the mark, and gluing begins, using the double-glue method...

IMG_1502.jpgIMG_1503.jpgIMG_1504.jpgIMG_1505.jpgIMG_1506.jpgIMG_1507.jpgIMG_1508.jpgIMG_1509.jpgIMG_1510.jpgIMG_1511.jpg

After the glue has fully dried, the rear fins go on. The wings are supported by 18mm motors, putting the model at the correct height to set the proper angle. After these have dried thoroughly the second fin guide can be used to align the lower stabilizer. We're all caught up, adding fillets and launch lugs remaining, then paint and decals. And recovery attachment. I've really enjoyed building your kit, Mal ( @Cape Byron )... :goodjob:

IMG_1521.jpgIMG_1522.jpgIMG_1523.jpgIMG_1524.jpgIMG_1535.jpgIMG_1536.jpgIMG_1537.jpgIMG_1538.jpgIMG_1539.jpgIMG_1540.jpg

Oh my. :oops:

Welcome to a happier place. :) Great build!

BTW I gently squirt the CA directly onto the Q-tip, works great (just protect the surface underneath). That way I use only what I need, and avoid leaving an open cup of the stuff around.

Can I ask a dumb question but what does the paper on the wings do for the rocket. Make it more aerodynamic creating less drag?

Can I ask a dumb question but what does the paper on the wings do for the rocket. Make it more aerodynamic creating less drag?

Not a dumb question at all.

The papering of the rear fins is simply to make them stronger. The wings and stabilizers are 3 mm balsa. the tail fins are only 1.5 mm thick. It gives them a bit of flex resistance and impact protection.

Not a dumb question at all.

The papering of the rear fins is simply to make them stronger. The wings and stabilizers are 3 mm balsa. the tail fins are only 1.5 mm thick. It gives them a bit of flex resistance and impact protection.
What type of paper is used? Is it just regular old printer paper or something special?

What type of paper is used? Is it just regular old printer paper or something special?
Regular old printer paper works great. I usually use label paper, which I find quicker and easier. It's a bit less strong, but good enough for me.

There are many, many (many!) threads and post about fin papering on the forum if you search.

Regular old printer paper works great. I usually use label paper, which I find quicker and easier. It's a bit less strong, but good enough for me.

There are many, many (many!) threads and post about fin papering on the forum if you search.
Thanks so much for the info. I bought a few Estes kits to do with my grandson. I'd like to have a successful 1st flight, along with a successful build process so any pointers, tricks, and tips I can pick up before I get started would help me greatly.

Thanks so much for the info. I bought a few Estes kits to do with my grandson. I'd like to have a successful 1st flight, along with a successful build process so any pointers, tricks, and tips I can pick up before I get started would help me greatly.
Chris Michielssen's blog is a great resource: http://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/. He's @hcmbanjo here on the forum. He also wrote a great primer on build technique over at the NAR website: https://www.nar.org/educational-resources/model-rocket-building-techniques/

Chris is not generally a fin-paperer, though, you'll get more info about that here.

If you have any questions ask over in the Techniques or Beginner's forums.

Back