My beloved M&Ms

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
“M&M’s will not be satisfied until every last cartoon character is deeply unappealing and totally androgynous. Until the moment you wouldn’t want to have a drink with any one of them. That’s the goal,” Carlson said.

I‘m confused. Is he trying to bang M&M’s? And he’s mad now because he’s not into them anymore? What a weirdo.

I‘m confused. Is he trying to bang M&M’s? And he’s mad now because he’s not into them anymore? What a weirdo.
No, he wasn't mad because he's not able to have sex with cartoon M&Ms. He was complaining because the company was using the cartoons to push more woke PC madness.

This is PC going awry. I am sure someone overweight complained about the fat little M&M characters. It is candy. Let it just be candy.
And that's pretty much what Tucker Carlson was saying too. Stop using the characters to show how inclusive they are. Just let candy be candy.

Re-reading this thread, and the relevant news articles, makes me bust out laughing.

Is the problem "PC gone mad" with pandering to concerns about representation and fatness, gender or whatever?

Or is it about the massive overreaction by conservative pundits to what is really not a newsworthy event?

Uh, people, it's about getting people on both sides riled-up.

And it has been effective. My gosh, we are talking about M&Ms on a rocketry forum. That's what I call excellent marketing.

Remember the very saccharine commercial where Kendall Jenner heads off a riot by giving a cop a Pepsi? Folks on all sides were outraged but it kept Pepsi in the news for a month.

The "PC complainers" turn out to be the snowflakes at Fox News, who get offended at *everything*. They complained about the upside-down ladies M&Ms on the packages, they complained about Mr. Potato head, they complain about Big Bird, they complain about their coffee being cold and blame Joe Biden for that too. But Hannity and Tucker seem to have it for M&Ms, so, Mars is changing things. Frankly, they could put a Dog pooing onto the ground on the packaging, and I'd still eat M&Ms. For breakfast.

You guys are missing the point.

1) M&M's parent company is making a big deal about "retiring" the anthropomorphized candies.
2) They introduce the new spokesperson, who is a noted comedian.
3) The "retired" anthropomorphized candies are on the actual press release!
4) Marginally inflammatory language designed to rile up old white men was included in the press release.
5) Old white men have taken to forums such as this to discuss candy, of all things.

And, perhaps most tellingly:

6) It is three weeks before the Super Bowl.

The spokecandies will be back. You are all playing a role in a carefully orchestrated campaign.

You guys are missing the point.

1) M&M's parent company is making a big deal about "retiring" the anthropomorphized candies.
2) They introduce the new spokesperson, who is a noted comedian.
3) The "retired" anthropomorphized candies are on the actual press release!
4) Marginally inflammatory language designed to rile up old white men was included in the press release.
5) Old white men have taken to forums such as this to discuss candy, of all things.

And, perhaps most tellingly:

6) It is three weeks before the Super Bowl.

The spokecandies will be back. You are all playing a role in a carefully orchestrated campaign.
Don’t bring reason into this thread. I want to talk about how Tucker Carlson wants to have sex with chocolate candy, but only if she’s wearing heels.

Did anyone stop to think that maybe she’s got plantar fasciitis, and needs to wear more cushioning for her foot? My wife had that, and I can tell you from experience I still wanted to do her, even without the heels. So if Carlson wants to have sex with the candy, he should still want to in her new shoes. That’s just my opinion, YMMV. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe the problem is that Tucker can't wrap his pretty little head around the fact that the green M&M used to have nut(s).

1674580140881.png

I shouldn't be surprised anymore, but it's still kind of hard to believe how much Tucker makes everything about the culture wars. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, dude.

I guess politics are okay if important people want to play in the sandbox.

This is PC going awry. I am sure someone overweight complained about the fat little M&M characters. It is candy. Let it just be candy.
I agree 100%. I work in Market Research and so I value accurate representation and that includes demographics.

I disagree with bombarding us with stuff that is realistically only for the smaller percentage (and often fringe) groups. That's not realistic.

As an aside, when I managed a team in NYC, I hired an incredibly diverse group of people, but that was because it was NYC and where our employment ads were posted (included the Village Voice as well as a nearby college that had a high proportion of minorities).

I agree 100%. I work in Market Research and so I value accurate representation and that includes demographics.

I disagree with bombarding us with stuff that is realistically only for the smaller percentage (and often fringe) groups. That's not realistic.

As an aside, when I managed a team in NYC, I hired an incredibly diverse group of people, but that was because it was NYC and where our employment ads were posted (included the Village Voice as well as a nearby college that had a high proportion of minorities).
I am really trying to understand. I might be just too old to understand the younger folks.

Lucky Charms will be next...
St. Patrick's Day is just 2 months away... They already have green everything in the supermarkets. Along with heart-shaped stuff for Valentine's Day. Can we combine the two and green heart-shaped stuff?

I am really trying to understand. I might be just too old to understand the younger folks.
I'm 55!

TLDR :p : Changing things for the select few that complain and are imho overly sensitive is not realistic and also unfair to/mis-representative of the majority. Also I'm saying this to be realistic and not due to any prejudice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back