My Astron Andromeda by MoreRockets Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting my fins on. . After removing the radiator rings from the cardstock, I make sure the notches fit to allow the fins to make contact with the tube. The instructions say to glue the forward ring on and then line up the others in the slots, I elect to just align them all in the slots, keeping the rear edge of the sail fins even with the rear edge of the tube. Once the fins are glued on, the rings will be aligned nicely...IMG_7752.JPGIMG_7754.JPGIMG_7755.JPGIMG_7756.JPGIMG_7757.JPGIMG_7758.JPGIMG_7759.JPGIMG_7760.JPGIMG_7761.JPG

Time to tack on the fins!!! MoreRockets doesn't provide alignment jigs like Semroc, but using the Qualman guide and a Badass guide on the rear for insurance, I think it was quite easy to get them on straight. There is enough curve in the sail fins and enough angle on the engine pod fins, to allow the guide to hold the fins. I use the cardstock 90 degree jig that WAS provided to confirm perpendicularity (izzat a word?)...

IMG_7762.JPGIMG_7763.JPGIMG_7765.JPGIMG_7768.JPGIMG_7771.JPGIMG_7772.JPGIMG_7774.JPGIMG_7775.JPGIMG_7776.JPGIMG_7778.JPG

Glued on the spars and antennas, using masking tape to hold in place until the glue sets. Getting close, I still need to sand the spar ends flush with the mounts and fillet them, then add the nose cone and recovery bits. I might manage to actually primer it tonight. I have work training this Mon-Tue, but that will give me Wed-Thu to finish paint... 😁

IMG_7812.JPGIMG_7813.JPGIMG_7814.JPGIMG_7816.JPGIMG_7817.JPGIMG_7818.JPG

Okay, time to decide about the decals- stick with the MoreRockets set, or upgrade to Stickershock..? I have applied one decal, and to be honest I am not disappointed. It does look better with the camera flash on, the last photo is without the flash. I am asking for other opinions before I totally commit one way or the other...IMG_7965.JPGIMG_7966.JPGIMG_7967.JPGIMG_7968.JPGIMG_7969.JPG

The color seems fine, similar to what I got on Blackfish. More disappointing is that it looks like the print resolution is quite low.
1594058978751.png
The edges look quite fuzzy, assuming I'm not seeing artifacts from the photo.

Nonetheless, given that the color seems OK, I'd probably stick with what came with them. But if you're willing to shell out $20+ then the Stickershock vinyl will almost certainly look a bit better.

The color seems fine, similar to what I got on Blackfish. More disappointing is that it looks like the print resolution is quite low.
View attachment 423551
The edges look quite fuzzy, assuming I'm not seeing artifacts from the photo.

Nonetheless, given that the color seems OK, I'd probably stick with what came with them. But if you're willing to shell out $20+ then the Stickershock vinyl will almost certainly look a bit better.
If I decide on Stickershock it will definitely be due to the fuzziness. Color is fine, resolution not so much. I appreciate the feedback.

Okay, time to decide about the decals- stick with the MoreRockets set, or upgrade to Stickershock..? I have applied one decal, and to be honest I am not disappointed. It does look better with the camera flash on, the last photo is without the flash. I am asking for other opinions before I totally commit one way or the other...View attachment 423545View attachment 423546View attachment 423547View attachment 423548View attachment 423549

WOW! those decals look 100 times better than the ones that came with the kit I got from them, maybe five or six years ago. They must have changed the way they print their decals. I'd have been happy with those.

I decided to use the MoreRockets decals, otherwise I would feel a need for some wet sanding, and frankly I never do that ;)... I mangled one caution reactor decal, otherwise done! I just realized I don't have a photo with ALL decals on, phone is at 3% so after a bit of a charge, I'll get a final shot- until it's on the launch pad, that is...

IMG_7970.JPGIMG_7971.JPGIMG_7972.JPGIMG_7978.JPG

Back