My 50 yr old LaserX

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaffgeorge2

Reaction score
My 50+ yr old LaserX is ready for painting, however it's been sitting on my TV stand for a few months now.Have to wait for the weather to turn because I can't do it in my apartment in my high rise.Came out pretty well except for the transition section ,which was creased up quite a bit, so I just laid it up with several coats of wood glue, sanding between each coat.From a distance it will probably look fine but with close up inspection will probably leave a lot to be desired.The Main tube was slightly distorted on one end but hasn't been a problem.All the parts were in very good condition so construction went together rather quickly.This particular rocket has a very special place in my heart because it was the last birthday my brother ever gave me.He passed on from cancer in October of 2022.IMG_20230125_160249.jpg

Thanks.This has always been a favorite.Had my first one decades ago but for some inexplicable reason it never left the house.I"m hoping to get this one in the air as early and often as possible.Do you have a particular favorite?
Sea Killer
7wXoYFR.png

Thanks.This has always been a favorite.Had my first one decades ago but for some inexplicable reason it never left the house.I"m hoping to get this one in the air as early and often as possible.Do you have a particular favorite?
Just received my Semroc LaserX in the mail the other day.So in the event that this one either flies away or kisses the ground I'll still have one.May not be original but at least it's the same model.Also still in the hunt for an original Gemini Titan, but then again, who isn't? Apparently,Boyce Aerospace makes a really nice one, but for me it's just not the same.But it does sound like it would be fun with two D16's though.

My 50+ yr old LaserX is ready for painting, however it's been sitting on my TV stand for a few months now.Have to wait for the weather to turn because I can't do it in my apartment in my high rise.Came out pretty well except for the transition section ,which was creased up quite a bit, so I just laid it up with several coats of wood glue, sanding between each coat.From a distance it will probably look fine but with close up inspection will probably leave a lot to be desired.The Main tube was slightly distorted on one end but hasn't been a problem.All the parts were in very good condition so construction went together rather quickly.This particular rocket has a very special place in my heart because it was the last birthday my brother ever gave me.He passed on from cancer in October of 2022.View attachment 559439
Reminds me of the Estes Nike smoke….

suggestion: if you do build it, don't use the coated cardstock for the transition. scan it and print on some regular cardstock. far less creasing.
Thanks for the tip.I'll remember that.However the card stock might be better in the new kit,the old one was pretty stiff when I started on it.Also I don't have a computer so I can't scan and print on anything.For now I'm happy with the way it turned out, could have been a lot worse.I've always felt that Centuri parts at that time were of better quality, and this kit didn't disprove that for me.
Reminds me of the Estes Nike smoke….
I have a Centuri Nike Smoke still sealed.I want to build it but I've been somewhat apprehensive about it because I dread the thought of having to sand those blasted diamond shape airfoils,and I haven't found a sanding block yet that was up to it, I tried it on a different rocket and just about ruined the fins.So I could use some help with that.So with any luck it will be ready for spring.I have a pretty eclectic collection of kits, from Estes, Centuri, MPC and Flight Systems. I would like to obtain as many FSI and MPC kits as I can, but my focus is primarily on Centuri.

Just throwing an idea out there...

Maybe keep that (the best word I can say is) precious rocket, displayed in a case. Then build a better rocket in his name??? Just sayin'.

You can always pull it out of the case??

You do your brother justice! 🤘

Just throwing an idea out there...

Maybe keep that (the best word I can say is) precious rocket, displayed in a case. Then build a better rocket in his name??? Just sayin'.

You can always pull it out of the case??

You do your brother justice! 🤘
Thank You very much.I thought about that, but I don't have anything like a display case to keep it in.He did get to see it just a short time after I finished it and he was really impressed.You see, he was the one to start first in rocketry and although he didn't stay with it I did, so he knew something about taking pride in your work, which I always have.And it's nice to show others your work.Gonna be a really nice piece once it gets finished.Took about 3 and a half months to build and I still have to wait until spring to paint it.Gonna do it stock, just like it was pictured in the catalog.If anyone else out there has any rare Centuri kits for possible sale, please let me know ASAP.

...the card stock might be better in the new kit...

i speak from recent experience (working the paint on mine), the supplied stock creased like crazy on me. all that smooth fancy stuff sucks, new or old. unforgiving. gonna prime and paint it anyway. don't forget the toothpicks. ;)

20230127_140659.jpg

here's a better pic of the transition. i used my go-to filler puddin' (water and Elmers WoodFiller) to hide the seam. i fill, sand, prime, fill again, repeat until it looks smooth. this is after 2 coats of gloss black. gonna tempt fate and add a third coat in a few days.

my paint strategy is to paint the upper section's blacks (transition and cone) first, then mask for the white, some clear over the mask to hold the line, then gloss white on the tube. fins red last. easiest masking scheme i could come up with. bottom section i'm starting with the white gloss, then mask and clear before red on the fins. lastly, i'll hand paint the black strips on the engine ribs (or whatever they're called) or use a sharpee maybe.

note: i'm adhering to the semroc color scheme. Centuri had two different schemes that i've seen, unsure if the decals themselves changed.

regarding Centuri, there are several sweet kits on ebay right now which can be yours immediately if you're willing to part with around 120 smackers. there's an SST i saw for the low low price of 275 (i think). also a space shuttle (fantasy one) for far less than that. i recently bought a Two Bits from JonRocket for around 20 bucks (he's got more). In your favor is the fact that i work at Arbys and can't afford this cool stuff or I'd buy all of it.

Last edited:
My 50+ yr old LaserX is ready for painting, however it's been sitting on my TV stand for a few months now.Have to wait for the weather to turn because I can't do it in my apartment in my high rise.Came out pretty well except for the transition section ,which was creased up quite a bit, so I just laid it up with several coats of wood glue, sanding between each coat.From a distance it will probably look fine but with close up inspection will probably leave a lot to be desired.The Main tube was slightly distorted on one end but hasn't been a problem.All the parts were in very good condition so construction went together rather quickly.This particular rocket has a very special place in my heart because it was the last birthday my brother ever gave me.He passed on from cancer in October of 2022.
It’ll be nice to see that special rocket finished and flown. Nice to have those memories.

Thanks for the tip.I'll remember that.However the card stock might be better in the new kit,the old one was pretty stiff when I started on it.Also I don't have a computer so I can't scan and print on anything.For now I'm happy with the way it turned out, could have been a lot worse.I've always felt that Centuri parts at that time were of better quality, and this kit didn't disprove that for me.

I have a Centuri Nike Smoke still sealed.I want to build it but I've been somewhat apprehensive about it because I dread the thought of having to sand those blasted diamond shape airfoils,and I haven't found a sanding block yet that was up to it, I tried it on a different rocket and just about ruined the fins.So I could use some help with that.So with any luck it will be ready for spring.I have a pretty eclectic collection of kits, from Estes, Centuri, MPC and Flight Systems. I would like to obtain as many FSI and MPC kits as I can, but my focus is primarily on Centuri.
I use a razor plane to get airfoils on balsa. Specifically, the David Combi plane. I highly recommend it.

I think there is no better way to honor a rocket than to build it and fly it.

If it’s particularly meaningful, then just be sure to get a complete photographic record of it before the first flight.

I think there is no better way to honor a rocket than to build it and fly it.

If it’s particularly meaningful, then just be sure to get a complete photographic record of it before the first flight.
Yes,.planning on flying it at URRF 9 in June, along with several other old kits,from Centuri, Estes, MPC and FSI.

i speak from recent experience (working the paint on mine), the supplied stock creased like crazy on me. all that smooth fancy stuff sucks, new or old. unforgiving. gonna prime and paint it anyway. don't forget the toothpicks. ;)

View attachment 559831

here's a better pic of the transition. i used my go-to filler puddin' (water and Elmers WoodFiller) to hide the seam. i fill, sand, prime, fill again, repeat until it looks smooth. this is after 2 coats of gloss black. gonna tempt fate and add a third coat in a few days.

my paint strategy is to paint the upper section's blacks (transition and cone) first, then mask for the white, some clear over the mask to hold the line, then gloss white on the tube. fins red last. easiest masking scheme i could come up with. bottom section i'm starting with the white gloss, then mask and clear before red on the fins. lastly, i'll hand paint the black strips on the engine ribs (or whatever they're called) or use a sharpee maybe.

note: i'm adhering to the semroc color scheme. Centuri had two different schemes that i've seen, unsure if the decals themselves changed.

regarding Centuri, there are several sweet kits on ebay right now which can be yours immediately if you're willing to part with around 120 smackers. there's an SST i saw for the low low price of 275 (i think). also a space shuttle (fantasy one) for far less than that. i recently bought a Two Bits from JonRocket for around 20 bucks (he's got more). In your favor is the fact that i work at Arbys and can't afford this cool stuff or I'd buy all of it.
ATM I'm looking for a Centuri UFO Invader, haven't seen one of these in quite some time.If anyone out there knows where I can find one please let me know.

ATM I'm looking for a Centuri UFO Invader, haven't seen one of these in quite some time.If anyone out there knows where I can find one please let me know.
Semroc has made nice clones of it, though they’re out of stock currently, contact them and they might be able to put one together.

Back