MX Solar Warrior

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjkopena

Rocketship Games
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
A companion for my MX Hawkeye, the MX Solar Warrior:

PXL_20220605_155854768.jpg

This is a downscale of the classic Estes Solar Warrior. That name has been more recently reused for a fairly different (but also good) design. The original pulls at my heartstrings though: It's the kit I always wanted as a kid but never saw in my local hobby shop or so on and wound up never getting. The Estes Solar Warrior was an 18mm rocket and about 2/3 longer than the 13mm Hawkeye. But in taking the Solar Warrior down to a T-MM tube same as the MX Hawkeye it winds up only about 10mm longer than the latter. The two make a great matched pair of little pseudo-fighters.

Last edited:
First up is cutting out the fins. They're on 1/32 balsa. Especially at this size it can be easy to lose track of which edge is the root, so they're marked with little hash lines. On a bigger fin I would do the top shape as two separate pieces in order to align the grain with the two leading edges, just as the original kit does. But that's pretty fiddly at this size. So it's a single cut and a thin coat of CA along the shallower leading edge should more than protect it.

PXL_20220605_152715328.jpg

Now inserting the motor block. This could be done easily by pushing it into place and then using an extender tube to CA it into place. I never have enough of those around however, and I definitely don't want to dab in some CA and then push the block into place, it'll seize. So instead here I'm using wood glue. It doesn't really matter how well it binds to the plastic or not, once it's set it's going to prevent the motor block from moving under the tiny forces involved.

First up is marking a wood applicator. I'm going to dab glue on the narrow end and then insert it into the body tube up to the first mark, around 26mm, to smear glue in the right place. Then I'm going to push the motor block down from the other end of the body tube to the other mark, about 68mm. In this size body tube this works around dealing with the thread and glue and so on. Of course it's helpful to double check the position of the motor block using a spent motor.

PXL_20220605_153558691.jpg

PXL_20220605_153741144.jpg

PXL_20220605_153853539.jpg

Attaching the fins is straightforward, double checking that the root edges wind up being root edges. The body tube is marked for the rotational alignment and where the little stub wings sit length-wise. I just use some gel CA on the roots and then stick them on.

PXL_20220605_154728274.jpg

Interestingly, simulation indicates the MX Solar Warrior will "only" go about 125ft, compared to the MX Hawkeye's predicted and believable ~200ft. Either way though, that's out of sight for a ~5in 7mm rocket. Hopefully we'll get to field test and race 'em in the next day or so!

screenshot_20220605-205304.png

screenshot_20220605-205330.png

Last edited:
Looks like some more I'll need to add to the collection! These little rockets are a real excellent challenge for construction and finish. It's a completely different hobby from scratch built large diameter HP rockets. Keep up the great work!
Ken

I like that the two pairs of fins are different. I don't remember ever seeing a rocket with different fins.
:awesome:

Back