MWP Volunteer conflict

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
The site will not let me sign up for back to back shifts. Can someone fix this? If not, put me down for RSO each shift friday morning until sunday ending at 11:00 am. Not including any night launches. Thanks.

This is not a mistake. Nothing to "fix" take a breather in between shifts. LOL!!

Jim, you know you always have a spot at that table. I appreciate your time you donate to the launch. Don't worry about the sign up sheet. The table can always use the help.

I was able to do back to back shifts on Friday, but I switched them off (RSO to LCO, for example). Maybe that's the difference?

Besides Wildman, will there be other venders?

Can you say?
2545350k9f12b8a78.gif

Besides Wildman, will there be other venders?

No sir, QCRS has an exclusive arrangement with Wildman. He is the sole vendor of all QCRS launches (and this includes MWP). TWA and WOOSH have the same arrangement with Wildman at Bong in WI. The exclusive relationship is a quid pro quo arrangement where Tim is obligated to attend ALL (or at least the staggering majority) of QCRS launches each year. For many years now, the QCRS BOD feels it best to have a consistent and reliable vendor on site throughout the entire year. Historically there has been a lot of pushback about this, but the fact of the matter is no other vendor has come forward willing to support all QCRS launches in a given calendar year. The QCRS BOD feels it’s better to have 1 consistent vendor at all of our launches rather than many vendors at 1-2 launches per year. Right after I post this, someone is going to ask, “why don’t you allow other vendors at MWP and allow Wildman to be the sole vendor the rest of the year?” The answer is Wildman has consistently earned the privilege to be the sole vendor for QCRS. Wildman is present at all QCRS launches, rain or shine, the entire year and the QCRS leadership feels this is in the best interest of our fliers month to month.

No sir, QCRS has an exclusive arrangement with Wildman. He is the sole vendor of all QCRS launches (and this includes MWP). TWA and WOOSH have the same arrangement with Wildman at Bong in WI. The exclusive relationship is a quid pro quo arrangement where Tim is obligated to attend ALL (or at least the staggering majority) of QCRS launches each year. For many years now, the QCRS BOD feels it best to have a consistent and reliable vendor on site throughout the entire year. Historically there has been a lot of pushback about this, but the fact of the matter is no other vendor has come forward willing to support all QCRS launches in a given calendar year. The QCRS BOD feels it’s better to have 1 consistent vendor at all of our launches rather than many vendors at 1-2 launches per year. Right after I post this, someone is going to ask, “why don’t you allow other vendors at MWP and allow Wildman to be the sole vendor the rest of the year?” The answer is Wildman has consistently earned the privilege to be the sole vendor for QCRS. Wildman is present at all QCRS launches, rain or shine, the entire year and the QCRS leadership feels this is in the best interest of our fliers month to month.

Beings you fly under the TRA banner now and are no longer flying under an independent club banner, you might consider revisiting that decision... Especially sense you do show two other venders attending, (just found that on the announcement thread)...

Beings you fly under the TRA banner now and are no longer flying under an independent club banner, you might consider revisiting that decision... Especially sense you do show two other venders attending, (just found that on the announcement thread)...

I figured this inquiry would turn into a sh**fit, I'll play anyway... What does TRA have to do with launch support from a given vendor month to month?

I figured this inquiry would turn into a sh**fit, I'll play anyway... What does TRA have to do with launch support from a given vendor month to month?

Is MWP a monthly launch or a regional launch? If the latter is the case all venders should be welcome and not just a select few... That's just my opinion... BTW, this is not a sh**fit, so tone it down...

Fred- MWP is a regional launch, but it's one of several launches put on by QCRS (monthly, as long as there are no crops in the fields). I'm not a board member of QCRS, but I am a member/regular attendee of these monthly launches. The truth is, many of them are very sparsely attended, and Wildman is at those. I highly doubt he's making money on many of them, but he's still there to support the club. I have no problem with the sole vendor agreement that he has with the club, knowing that whatever he makes from MWP probably makes up for him being there at all the other launches.

Fred- MWP is a regional launch, but it's one of several launches put on by QCRS (monthly, as long as there are no crops in the fields). I'm not a board member of QCRS, but I am a member/regular attendee of these monthly launches. The truth is, many of them are very sparsely attended, and Wildman is at those. I highly doubt he's making money on many of them, but he's still there to support the club. I have no problem with the sole vendor agreement that he has with the club, knowing that whatever he makes from MWP probably makes up for him being there at all the other launches.

Fair is fair... I'm sure Tim would love it if other regional launches, he attends, were selective/restricted to certain venders, that did not include him...

Fair is fair... I'm sure Tim would love it if other regional launches, he attends, were selective/restricted to certain venders, that did not include him...

In that scenario, I would direct an inquiry at the BOD of said club and question their motivations. Does their action speak more to "we don't like vendor X, so we don't invite them," or is there more to the story? Any BOD should be acting in the best interest of their members, plain and simple. Including or excluding certain vendors is fine by me under the proviso that it is truly a good thing for the membership and fliers of said club and their is a logical reason to do so. Sometimes, being on a BOD is a thankless job and falls under the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished," but I digress.

Now Fred, while I do agree it would be ideal in a perfect world to have multiple vendors at MWP, but we really do need the vendor support throughout the entire year (including those frigidly cold January and February launches). :cheers:

In that scenario, I would direct an inquiry at the BOD of said club and question their motivations. Does their action speak more to "we don't like vendor X, so we don't invite them," or is there more to the story? Any BOD should be acting in the best interest of their members, plain and simple. Including or excluding certain vendors is fine by me under the proviso that it is truly a good thing for the membership and fliers of said club and their is a logical reason to do so. Sometimes, being on a BOD is a thankless job and falls under the old saying "no good deed goes unpunished," but I digress.
Now Fred, while I do agree it would be ideal in a perfect world to have multiple vendors at MWP, but we really do need the vendor support throughout the entire year (including those frigidly cold January and February launches). :cheers:

Being a founding BOD member of MDRA, I understand your point. However, after looking at the original MWP announcement post and seeing two additional venders, one a motor vender, it appears to be selective to me... I'll just leave it at that..

Fred,

Are you, or were you even planning to attend Midwest power? Or is this an attempt just to stir the pot for another year? We go through this every single year, and the answers are the same every year. Please refer back to any other Midwest power thread and read the details as to why we do what we do. Here is my personal phone number. Feel free to call me for any of the previously rehashed details that you don't understand. 630-670-4608. That invitation goes out to anyone who would like to discuss this in person. I am tired of dealing with this on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Being a founding BOD member of MDRA, I understand your point. However, after looking at the original MWP announcement post and seeing two additional venders, one a motor vender, it appears to be selective to me... I'll just leave it at that..

The manufacturers you are referring to were invited by Wildman, not the BOD. These manufacturers are their to represent their products, not vend.

Being as this thread is regarding volunteer efforts at MWP, lets get it back on track, otherwise we need to take the discussion offline. Jason and I are happy to entertain any phone calls on this matter.

Wildman Hobbies carries my harnesses..
I go to MWP as a manufacturers representative of a product Wildman Hobbies carries on their website..
Each and every transaction of mine while at MWP I do not accept any funds for..
All funds go to Wildman Hobbies ( Jackie )..
Exactly the same as if the item was purchased on the Wildman website..
There is no difference between this and Charlie S of Aerotech or Jeroen of CTI when they're at MWP..
They are a representative of their respective companies..
I agree that this is brought up every year,
but I believe it is brought up by a select few who do not want to believe that the sole vendor agreement is the club QCRS's wishes..
I was at the MWP banquet last year..
I sat quietly and watched the proceedings..
I witnessed a room packed with easily 200 people asked if they liked the sole vendor agreement with Wildman Hobbies..
The room exploded in a standing ovation / applause...
No one set this up,,
this is how they feel about Wildman Hobbies..
Please understand,, when they say that Wildman Hobbies makes every launch all year,, all winter..
In January and February they aren't launches,,
they are friendly gatherings in Tim's motor home at the field drinking hot chocolate and
daring each other to go out and fly a rocket when you can't feel your fingers to get the shear pins to thread in the airframe holes..

Jason,,
Please remove your phone # from the post..
That is quite upstanding of you,, but isn't safe..

Respectfully,,
Ted Chernok
Onebadhawk Recovery Harnesses..

Fred,

Are you, or were you even planning to attend Midwest power? Or is this an attempt just to stir the pot for another year? We go through this every single year, and the answers are the same every year. Please refer back to any other Midwest power thread and read the details as to why we do what we do. Here is my personal phone number. Feel free to call me for any of the previously rehashed details that you don't understand. xxx-xxx-xxxx. That invitation goes out to anyone who would like to discuss this in person. I am tired of dealing with this on this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Yes to answer your question, as I will be in Urbana the week prior, taking care of some family business. If all goes well, I'll be there. BTW, no need for a phone call. We just have difference of opinion and like I said, "I'll just leave it at that"..

Ummmm, wow. Volunteer anyone? Jason, did you see the error on the volunteer form. It allows one to choose Saturday 900am to 1100PM in one slot. That's where I was having the issue that started this thread. Fred, it will be great to see you again. Look me up, I will be camped out at the RSO table. Tim is, well Tim! Nuff said!

Ummmm, wow. Volunteer anyone? Jason, did you see the error on the volunteer form. It allows one to choose Saturday 900am to 1100PM in one slot. That's where I was having the issue that started this thread. Fred, it will be great to see you again. Look me up, I will be camped out at the RSO table. Tim is, well Tim! Nuff said!
Jim, you like me, just mind our own business, i.e., smile [emoji4] , fly your rockets, do your RSO duties, have a good time with old friends, and then head home. Just glad to have the field, and so will abide by all rules, real and superfluous. [emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't make MWP this year due to a wedding in the family. Else I would gladly volunteer a shift or two! If I wind up in Chicago for training Weds/Thursday I'll see about taking Friday off and spending the day in Princeton, but that may be a stretch.

-Mike Walsh

Back