MWP Demon Drag Race

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WILDMANRS

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Last Chance to get in .
Wildman MWP Demon Drag race
Where
Princeton, Illinois
When
Saturday November 5th
Who’s in
Adrian B.
Eric Cz.
Tony J.
Dennis B.
Jason G.
Mike T.
Diane D. **
Judy L.
Karl T.
Chuck S.
Sather R.
Tim D.
Brent L.
David R.
Dwayne S.

If I have missed anybody please contact us right away so we can make sure to have the motor special for you at the launch.

Last edited:
My money is Diane D.

Never underestimate the power that "The Flying Nun" can unleash with a giant ruler in her hands...:lol:

What? :surprised:
No bragging?
No boasting?
No wagering? (so far)...

You guys are boring, come on whip it out and, let them know your NOT going to be seen wearing a dress. :jaw:

I have worn the dress, it is very liberating...quite drafty and, needs a good wash...:blush:

I'll brag Gus... My Demon is definitely going to go......... up :eyeroll:
If I'm lucky, it will come back down. I haven't left one up there yet...
How it comes down may be sketchy at best.

Adrian

Adrian

What are we racing for again? Besides not being last and wearing the dress I mean...

That will most likely be discussed at the motor build party.

Adrian

Ohhhhhhh.....i'm sure you'll do quite well! I've always considered you to be a very humble but, extremely talented force to be reckoned with...;) *SMOOCH!*

What are we racing for again? Besides not being last and wearing the dress I mean...

Well, if the past serves my memory well....i would say the usual- Free one year membership in QCRS, $500 gift certificate to Wildman Hobbies and, last but, NOT least...
Your name and, likeness on the traveling Trophy!

Probably/Most likely though, the expected- Slap that one on the a$$ and, give it a name because you just got a real good rocket combo pack for a "discount"...:lol:

What? Seriously? You are asking for a rules clarification? How 'bout this...

OK, let's make it simple...

1) Does it have swept fins attached to the tailcone?
2) Are there two, and only two, sections of VK shaped polycarbonate?
3) Is it now, or was it at one time, red and black?
And finally,
4) Does it fit the motor Tim is going to give us on Saturday, November 5th?

If you can say yes to all the above, you are in!

or this...

We don't need no stinkin rules...

Here's the only rules you'll need:
Build it, load it, fly it, lose to me.
See?! Easy.

Sooooo.....:rolleyes:

Is it "anything goes" with the igniter? :rolleyes:

Basically, do you have to use the Aerotech igniter or, can you supply your own? :rolleyes:

Just......wondering.

At least they're not the white tipped ones- should be good to go then :)

Sabrina? My little Sunflower of happiness...if...IF for some reason you are following this thread. "Uncle Gus" would like to divert your attention to another posting of your choice. Things may get a little *adult orientated* here shortly and, i would REALLY hate for you to think any less of me between now and, MWP14... There are some really great build threads out there and, if you look about 30 postings below this one you'll find an excellent dissertation about wind shear and, its effects on rocket trajectories by the Maine Missile Math and, Tiddly Wink Chuckers!

All igniters will be the same

:D Thank-you "Mr. Griffin" for taking the time to clarify this nagging question that i have been pondering...

I would really, really hate to go out there and, shove a giant <CENSORED>...on a stick up <CENSORED> to only find out latter that <CENSORED>lost the race on a technicality... My next question centers around the construction of these motors on the night before the race.

QUESTIONS PART #2

After motor assembly, will the contestants be allowed to "retain" their motors up until the event at noon the following day? Or will they be put in "lock down" until precious moments before the photo ops and, pre race brag off?

I would humbly ask that i can spend at least 30 minutes inspecting this beast (as i rarely :rolleyes: get to see motor cases this size)...
Would there be any reason to *sonic check* the upper portion of the casing for anomalies in propellant thickness?
*Flashlighting* of the core to inspect the upper grain configuration?

Because, if you give me the motor i can't possibly think how a person could alter the total impulse with shavings and, a small dab of tissue paper to retain them....

:surprised: WHOOPS!

ON to a different direction here!

Can any of you imagine :rolleyes: what the pre race motor assembly party at Tim's might be like?
I can...let me share my vision! :D

"OK everyone! Now that you have your parts in front of you...i want you to open up the bag with TEN O-rings in it!" :eek:

"Now take out the 1 7/8th dia. 4/32nds ring and, put it aside..."

Is this it Tim:confused:

"No, that's your 1 7/8ths dia. 2/16ths ring..." :no:

"No, that's your 1 7/8ths dia. 1/8th ring..." :no:

I can't even figure this out! :eek:

"Once you find your 1 7/8ths dia. 4/32nds ring.....discard it as the directions have just been revised..." *ruffle ruffle*

"Now locate your 7/8ths dia. 3/32nd ring and, lay it aside..."

"No, that's your 7/8ths dia. 5/16ths ring!" :no:

"Now i want you to take your Seal Disc and, just smear a healthy gob of silicone rtv around the ring land." *ruffle ruffle*

Like this Tim:confused:

"No, that's your aft insulator disc...put that aside AFTER you get that gob of goo off of it!" :no:

"Now take the liner in BOTH hands and, whack it on the table a couple of times like this!" *whack whack*

Like this Tim:confused: *whack DONK!* :bangpan:

OWWWWWW!!!!!! :facepalm: You ALMOST POKED MY EYE OUT!

Sorry Dixie...:blush:

I'm sure it will be quite the event-:lol:

Last edited:
View attachment 303166

I remember that day...

1. The rocket was NEVER shortened.
2. The key switch band was added to the shoulder of the nosecone allowing me to reshape the nosecone shape slightly for what i felt was a smoother design.
3. All the body tubing was honed out inside to reduce mass.
4. Only (2) centering rings were used after being thinned to almost 1/16th of an inch in thickness.
5. The fins were thinned to almost half their original thickness.
6. Fins were tucked in and, laid back about 10 degrees steeper. Then knife edged front and, rear.
7. The Rail buttons were machined down and, the #8 button head screws were leveled after installation.
8. Minimize the shock cord length.
9. Tiny parachute.
10. The motor tube was swiss cheesed to reduce mass.
11. The Aeropac retainer was swiss cheesed to reduce mass at its shoulder.
12. All vent holes were minimized in size and, drilled on a 45 degree angle through tubing down to cut air resistance.
13. Two coats of paint, then wet sanded with 2000 grit...heavy coat of silicone wax.

and, the clincher-

14. Built a test AV bay board and, attached ALL SIX of my available Missile Works RRC2's. "Flew" the board in an altitude chamber at Purdue University (6) times up and, down and, recorded the readouts.

After several tests you find the board with the more "Optimistic" calibration. Not my doing...but, the hands of everyone who built the components for Jim to install on his product.
Approved by Wildman after the flight when i gave him a FULL rundown top to bottom of all the tricks i did ( some still not mentioned here...)

Had ALOT of people point their fingers at me and, whisper about this one but, then again how could a complete "unknown" walk in and, walk off with the grand prize.

Hurt me for along time. Have worn the dress more than a few times around this time...ran from "The Dress" once. I don't compete anymore mostly just hypothetically kid what i would attempt if i had a chance again. My record stands at (1) win and, (4) losses-

Gloves would come off and, i would really make it hurt (or at least try). IF THE RULES DO NOT SAY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT. You have to think like one of my hero's Smokey Yunick. He too came without a College degree but, what he did with his mind and, hands rocked the world not only in Nascar but Indy and, beyond.

By the way, Tim was already laughing his a$$ off before i even got to the bottom of the parachute tube on what i revealed to him behind his trailer after they announced the winner.

Last edited:
View attachment 303166

I remember that day...

1. The rocket was NEVER shortened.
2. The key switch band was added to the shoulder of the nosecone allowing me to reshape the nosecone shape slightly for what i felt was a smoother design.
3. All the body tubing was honed out inside to reduce mass.
4. Only (2) centering rings were used after being thinned to almost 1/16th of an inch in thickness.
5. The fins were thinned to almost half their original thickness.
6. Fins were tucked in and, laid back about 10 degrees steeper. Then knife edged front and, rear.
7. The Rail buttons were machined down and, the #8 button head screws were leveled after installation.
8. Minimize the shock cord length.
9. Tiny parachute.
10. The motor tube was swiss cheesed to reduce mass.
11. The Aeropac retainer was swiss cheesed to reduce mass at its shoulder.
12. All vent holes were minimized in size and, drilled on a 45 degree angle through tubing down to cut air resistance.
13. Two coats of paint, then wet sanded with 2000 grit...heavy coat of silicone wax.

and, the clincher-

14. Built a test AV bay board and, attached ALL SIX of my available Missile Works RRC2's. "Flew" the board in an altitude chamber at Purdue University (6) times up and, down and, recorded the readouts.

After several tests you find the board with the more "Optimistic" calibration. Not my doing...but, the hands of everyone who built the components for Jim to install on his product.
Approved by Wildman after the flight when i gave him a FULL rundown top to bottom of all the tricks i did ( some still not mentioned here...)

Had ALOT of people point their fingers at me and, whisper about this one but, then again how could a complete "unknown" walk in and, walk off with the grand prize.

Hurt me for along time. Have worn the dress more than a few times around this time...ran from "The Dress" once. I don't compete anymore mostly just hypothetically kid what i would attempt if i had a chance again. My record stands at (1) win and, (4) losses-

Gloves would come off and, i would really make it hurt (or at least try). IF THE RULES DO NOT SAY, YOU CAN'T DO THAT. You have to think like one of my hero's Smokey Yunick. He too came without a College degree but, what he did with his mind and, hands rocked the world not only in Nascar but Indy and, beyond.

By the way, Tim was already laughing his a$$ off before i even got to the bottom of the parachute tube on what i revealed to him behind his trailer after they announced the winner.

I like the way you think. :)

But what you did changed the shape of the fins. Rendering it modified beyond the "NASCAR template" ??? Yes?? No??

If I recall, Sather altered the shape of his fins at the N5800 drag race and was "pre-disqualified" for doing so.

Back